The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

• RMweb Gold

but what was he pre-grouping?

A far as I'm aware, he was free lance.

However, once grouping , he joined the Harpsichord & Xylophone Manipulators union.

Young Mansell could bang out a fair tune!

His musical skills in Upper Cwm Scwwtt were legendary, playing an exciting jazz combo with Banjo & Bagpipe, around the pubs & working men's clubs. He used to go by the name of "Jeez, What's That?" He used to play with his mate, Cloth-eared Colin.

Things were going well, until he fell in love with Margarita, an apprentice sluice operator at the local sewage works. Young Mansell called in to service a baby upright, and, as their eyes met across the Bechstien in the pump house, it was love at first smell.

Nowadays, Mansell can still be found, advising producers about the light that can be found under the boilers on model locomotives.

Cloth-Eared Colin got a job as a tester on Belisha Beacons. "On-Off, On-Off".

And Margarita? She went to the Congo, jump-starting elephants.....

S.C. Rooge.

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As the general secretary of the Amalgamated Rivet Counters, Livery and Lettering Checker's, my members would like see a management proposal of a concrete date so that they can continue with their important pedantry work with out cause for any unnecessary industrial action. If management are unable to produce a proposal which is felt satisfactory to our membership then we intend to work to rule! AND RULES ARE RULES!!! WE WILL FOLLOW THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!   

Marc

Now then, young Marc, what's all this about horses? When did livery get into the conversation?

I can't seem to remember when you affiliated with the amalgamated.  

And as for plant.

But not plentyn......

S.C. Rooge.

• Like 1

His musical skills .......  were legendary, playing an exciting jazz combo with Banjo & Bagpipe, around the pubs & working men's clubs. .......... He used to play with his mate......., 

Back in the early 60's I played with a Southampton Band called 'Gutta-Perchar's Elastic Band' mainly at The Concorde - at the time this was an all round music Club, not just Jazz - at the top of the Common. 

We occasionally had 'Quinten Krisp's Kitchen Quintet' (sic) down from London too.

BTW - we use to just play on our own instruments  :sungum:

Edited by Penlan

YES, I missed out on that. Great fun.

Many thanks for posting the link.

Edit - Looked further into the links, some great memories recalled there, this will up my Christmas pleasure no end, and now I have some contact addresses to follow up too, let alone that some of them are still alive  :sungum:

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to do with pre-grouping but for a bit of fun here is a Christmas competition for the pedants among us.

Please re-punctuate, correctly, as many ways as possible, the following genuine sign which has just appeared over a shop in Newtpwn:

4 BROTHER'S BARBER

A bonus for anyone who can wtite a sentence in which this version is correct.

Nadolig Llawen

Merry Christmas

Urime Krishtlindje

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

4 Brothers' Barber

4 Brothers Barber - the use of the apostrophe is to aid identification of whether the possessive noun is a singular or plural, but the "4" makes clear that this should be plural so the apostrophe is superfluous.

Bonus - This shop is called "4 Brother's Barber" and the apostrophe is, like so many other cases today, wrongly used.

• Like 1

As per the original:

4 Brother's Barber

It's no. 4 on the street, and run by someone with the surname Brother. Hence the sign being like that.

And as it's pedant's corner, I can't resist pointing out a possible typo (unless it's a Welsh spelling) at the last word here:

... sign which has just appeared over a shop in Newtpwn:

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

It's no. 4 on the street, and run by someone with the surname Brother. Hence the sign being like that.

No, No, NO!   :nono:

It's a gents hairdressers run by 4 brothers, so it should be 4 Brothers, barber.   :beee:

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

One of my alarming number of bêtes noires is the grammatically distressing term "consist", where used to describe a train formation in the British context.

Anyone who looked in on my recent track-building efforts, assuming they did not succumb to mental atrophy as a result, may have noticed a quote from an Elder of the model railway world, denouncing curved points as the work of Beelzebub.

As a result of a passage in the same work, I can now unmask at least one of those guilty of disseminating the egregious term, "consist", as none other than the Blessed Rev. Edward Beal.

I realise that his works frequently feature examples of North American model railways, but here he was writing in a general, British outline, context.

Shame on the Reverend gentleman!

Yet judge not .... After all, I understand that he did not have Bishops to show him the Way!

• Like 3

Yet judge not .... After all, I understand that he did not have Bishops to show him the Way!

Indeed not!  He was a good Presbyterian and, as such, equal in status to all his fellow Ministers of Word and Sacrament.

I do, however concur with your abhorrence of the American term in a UK context.

Jim  (One of whose ancestors was a Covenanting martyr)

• Like 1

He was the Rural Dean out of Truro for many a year, so out of sight of the Lord Bishop(s) of Truro.