The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

Please do not add anything more to this thread unless it is a deadly serious piece of information (or a request for the same) about the railways of these isles in the years prior to A.D. 1923.

I'm not sure what you mean by A.D., though it may be one of those American adaptations of a generally accepted European acronym, AD.

To be pedantic, if your referring to anno Domini, the correct acronym is AD.

In the current PC era it may be better to use the acronym CE.   :jester: 

I suppose if you must use the acronym A.D., then surely you would be referring to 'railroads',

a term common in America.

I'm sure another pedant will inform us that the term 'railroad' was in use in the UK in the Victorian era also  :O 

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

I'm sure another pedant will inform us that the term 'railroad' was in use in the UK in the Victorian era also  :O 

It was. Railway was used in America too.

Please note lack of exclamation marks and emoticons in my reply, signifying a serious post.

• Like 1

Ok, so I learnt on Sunday that Great Western had one standard colour pallette which never changed however the look of the stock did because it was the varnish used that resulted in the final finish - 1864 GWR coaches were chocolate and white not chocolate and cream - it was the varnish that made the white paint look cream but by the time they sorted out a varnish that didn't taint the finish they had a defacto chocolate and cream branding and had to stick with it.

• Like 2

Ok, so I learnt on Sunday that Great Western had one standard colour pallette which never changed however the look of the stock did because it was the varnish used that resulted in the final finish - 1864 GWR coaches were chocolate and white not chocolate and cream - it was the varnish that made the white paint look cream but by the time they sorted out a varnish that didn't taint the finish they had a defacto chocolate and cream branding and had to stick with it.

Specifically (I speculate), the chocolate and tainted white came before the crimson lake era and chocolate and deliberately-not-white came after. I remember one commentator describing the GWR coaches as "a very dark cream, almost primrose" and this would be the later colour. So (pedantically), I suggest that the light colour of the pallette did change.

Any guesses as to which colour the commercial paints match?

• Like 1

Oh, please! Can we not get onto something practical, like the proper interpretation of "Indian Red"? Now that is a good example of what I thought this thread would be about. 

So why not start a new subject on the proper interpretation of Indian Red? The you can chunter on to your heart's content while this thread goes its own anarchic way.

So why not start a new subject on the proper interpretation of Indian Red? The you can chunter on to your heart's content while this thread goes its own anarchic way.

Which company's interpretation of "Indian Red" are we talking about?

Marc 

Which company's interpretation of "Indian Red" are we talking about?

Marc 

As Indian Red was derived from the iron oxides in the red laterite soils of the sub-continent, and was available as such from Artists' Colourmen in the C19, it should have been the same for all companies; I doubt it was though.

Wiki gives hexadecimal CD5C5C and RGB reference  205, 92, 92 – what this is in terms of a Munsell chart I've no idea.

• Like 2

So why not start a new subject on the proper interpretation of Indian Red?

The you can chunter on to your heart's content while this thread goes its own anarchic way.

But John, you have no interest in colour, your colour blind   :jester:

Why John, when I'm trying to concentrate applying some complex PowSides,

do people in this house keep coming up to me and ask needless questions. 

They shout as well, when I refuse to acknowledge they are there,

mainly because I can't hear them - I'm deaf i'sh ! ! ! - and another bit of a PowSide goes astray... :devil:

Time for the dog to take me down to 'The Legion', I think  :sungum:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

...and still is. The giant BNSF is officially the BNSF Railway. ;)

We're not interested in what still is here ;).

Well as the USA never had a Grouping or Nationalisation or Sectorisation or Privatisation, I claim my US-outline modelling also counts as "Pre Grouping". :P :jester: :sarcastic:

Could we go technical and use Archaeological dating terminology, which would remove any PC or Non PC debate, Before Present. ie 1923 becomes 94BP as this date can be calculated using C14 radio carbon dating 

Marc

Does that mean that every Hogmanay (00:00 GMT on 1st January for the pedants) we have to change it by adding 1 year, so that in 2018 it becomes 95BP and so on?

Jim

To go on to a serious, if slightly trivial, subject, why were some wagons not wagons but trucks?  Was it because they were passenger rated, e.g. fish trucks and carriage trucks?  If so, why do we get cattle trucks, which weren't always even fitted with continuous brakes?  To be fair, the CR did call them cattle wagons.

Curious of Biggar

• Like 1

... so you're applying them to nice little RCH 1887 spec 8 and 10 ton wagons, one trusts.

Yes, of course  :sungum:

They are 14' 11" over headstocks, 5 plank, 10 ton end door wagons, built by Stableford & Co. of Colville in 1896.

I have the original wagon plates.

I should imagine they where registered to the Mid Rly, but the registration plates were missing.

The real wagon remains were 'found' in the Swansea Valley way back in the mid 1970's.

I scratch built these (4mm) wagons way back in 1975, they've just come to the top of the pile for jobs to be finished. :O

Although I have some earlier dumb buffered wagons with 5 link coupling chains,

these are to be fitted with the normal 3 link chains.

The wagons had been sold on - in my imaginary 4mm world - to one of the Swansea area Collieries,

which of course relates to the real world of where the wagon remains were found.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

i think there are approximately 57 existing threads on the subject...

... and those are only the Great Western-related ones. Other companies used a colour of this name too - generally for frames and valances.

Did manufacture of the pigment actually depend on minerals imported from India or were there local substitutes?

• Like 1