Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How's the preparations going for this weekend? I'm looking forward to attending the show on Friday and seeing Aberdeen Kirkhill in the flesh again ... and every time I've seen your layout, I've spent much more than 5 minutes admiring it!

I really like the excellent slow speed running, protypical shunting moves, variety and quality of the motive power and rakes of rolling stock.

I'm lucky enough to have a family trip to the Highlands this half term, and permission for a jolly to Glasgow to attend the show, and I'll probably be seeing Kirkhill at my local show in Nottingham as well in a few weeks time ... bonus!

Glenn cleaned all the loco wheels last night and reorganised the Really Useful boxes to assist with the loading and unloading. I finally finished the bodies of the bolster wagons yesterday and made the last set of replacement bogies this morning. The wagons have now been sprayed with bauxite and hopefully the plastic rod I ordered last night from Eileen's will arrive before Thursday.

Problems with one of the baseboard joints have, hopefully, been reduced to zero. The join is not great but as long as nothing derails then we can cope with it until after Nottingham.

We aim to be setting off early Thursday morning but as I am working lates this week then the van may need to be loaded on Thursday if Glenn can't get help on Wednesday evening.

Glenn found some more fuel point detailing which was removed from the first version of Kirkhill so, along with four seagulls which need to be added, these items can be glued back on once the layout has been set up.

It will be a very long weekend for us but we are aiming to thoroughly enjoy it and look forward to chatting to as many people as we can.

• Like 4

Look forward to seeing the layout in the flesh on Saturday, is this its first time at Model Rail Scotland?

Certainly is. My first time as well (and the same for Glenn and Alex as far as I know) so it'll be quite an adventure.We ticked off Perth four years ago (and very enjoyable it was too) but I've never been to Model Rail Scotland as a punter let alone an exhibitor.

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Gold

Certainly is. My first time as well (and the same for Glenn and Alex as far as I know) so it'll be quite an adventure.We ticked off Perth four years ago (and very enjoyable it was too) but I've never been to Model Rail Scotland as a punter let alone an exhibitor.

Don't forget to polish your dirk and water your sporran.

Enjoy.

Mike.

Well I hope you enjoy it, Ivery gone every year bar one for as long as I can remember and I always thoroughly enjoyed it. I've always found the layout to be of a very high standard and the wide array of sellers mean I've never managed to cone away without buying something! I'm sure you'll have been to some pretty busy exhibitions but I find that the atmosphere is something else when layouts are surrounded by crowds often 10 people deep.

Don't forget to polish your dirk and water your sporran.

Enjoy.

Mike.

Just make sure that it's uisge beatha - water of life!

• Like 1

post-6691-0-36229000-1519250294_thumb.jpg

The set, I think about 12 vehicles all in, had been propelled (towards the camera) along either Craigentinny's wash plant or bypass Road with these two vehicles at the head. until the whole set had cleared the access points for the maintenance shed (behind me & the camera)!.  The main access point was "sprung" towards the bypass road to prevent inadvertent movement onto the shed.  If they were accessing the maintenance sheds, once the loco had cleared the points the shunter needed to hold them over against the spring until the whole set had passed over them - except on that morning - just as the last BG (the nearest in the photo) passed over them the shunter swung himself up into the van by the handrails for a shorter trip into the shed - forgetting that he'd lifted his foot off the point lever which swung the points back to the normal position. The leading bogie of the last vehicle headed down the shed road with the rest of the set, but the trailing bogie went back down the right hand bypass road it had just come from. By the time he'd realised his mistake and dropped the brakes the angle between the bogies became too acute lifting the leading bogie wheels up over the rails and onto the sleepers / ballast.....

​I get the feeling Glenn might have done the please explain for this one....

​No names no pack drill.  Even after all this time I could suffer from acute brake block on the back of the head disease :)

​And then there's the driver who forgets he's not propelling his set into an empty road...

post-6691-0-05107700-1519250556_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 7

DO make a point of going along at Glasgow to have a look at how T&RS Depots actually worked. You won't regret it.

Is our operating really as bad as the shunters were in real life? :jester:

I assume the "You won't regret it" comment is for all the mirth value generated from watching us trying to do the job properly. :read: :scratchhead:  :banghead:

• Like 1