Nottingham Model Railway Exhibition 17th - 18th March 2018

doctor quinn

I'll be bringing this Micro layout "Selah"(CM March 2018) to the Show. By my reckoning that makes an unprecedented number of THREE Interurban layouts at the Show, two US and one British based on the Grimsby & Immingham that I'm looking forward to seeing.

post-6819-0-14253700-1520359369_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-30119100-1520359426_thumb.jpg

I've also volunteered to demonstrate operating the layout as part of the "Getting Started" section, hopefully to prove that a small box layout can be something viable to occupy a small space at home. It also means I get to sit down and saves me having to operate the bloody thing for two days.

Edited by 298
  • Like 3

I'll be bringing this Micro layout "Selah"(CM March 2018) to the Show. By my reckoning that makes an unprecedented number of THREE Interurban layouts at the Show, two US and one British based on the Grimsby & Immingham that I'm looking forward to seeing.

Thanks for pointing this out Andy. I hadn't thought of that angle to use in our publicity. We have publicised features like Scottish layouts, or Woodhead layouts before, but not interurbans!

• Like 1

How to get to the show

By Train

Travellers by train are recommended to catch a NET tram service to Phoenix Park from Nottingham Station tram stop We have a free heritage bus service to Harvey Hadden Sports Village, thanks to our friends at Nottingham Area Bus SocietyBuses will leave from Stop CL30 just off the roundabout outside the tram stop

Alternatively catch Nottingham City Transport's Pink Line No 28 Bus to Bilborough from Victoria Centre (stop J6)

By Tram

Catch a NET tram service to Phoenix Park We have a free heritage bus service operating between The Tram Phoenix Park & Ride site & Harvey Hadden Sports Village on both days, follow this link for the time tableBuses will leave from Stop CL30 just off the roundabout outside the tram stop

By bus

Catch Nottingham City Transport's Pink Line No 28 Bus to Bilborough from Victoria Centre (stop J6)

Cyclists – Harvey Hadden has cycle parking facilities

By car/motorcycle

Thee is unlimited free parking at Phoenix Park which is located just off  M1 Junction 26 on the A610 towards Notiingahm City centre (Sat Nav Ref NG8 6AS) .We have a free heritage bus service operating between The Tram Phoenix Park & Ride site & Harvey Hadden Sports Village on both days, follow this link for the time tableBuses will leave from Stop CL30 just off the roundabout outside the tram stop

There is also free on-site parking at Harvey Hadden Sports Village and free, unrestricted on-street parking outside (parking restrictions only apply during the working week)  the venue will be signed locally, with “Nottingham Model Railway Exhibition” signs, for sat-nav users the postcode is NG8 4PB

The exhibition guides have now been printed – don’t forget to buy one for a chance to win a trip round Etches Park courtesy of our friends at East Midlands Trains

See you there

The kits for the kit building part of the getting started feature have arrived from Peco. They have sent us an amazing bundle of plastic and card kits for visitors to try their hand at assembling, under instruction from our tutors. Come along and have a go at building a simple small building kit that you can take home afterwards - and it is free! We are grateful to Peco for sponsoring this part of the show (we just need to persuade one of our exhibitors to help with some plastic weld, cutting mats and knives now!).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Layout pick up time for Friday ---sorted.

Now all I need to do is to collect van, collect Herculaneum Dock and set off for Nottingham on Friday...

Really looking forward to the show

Baz

• Like 2

just finished doing the setting out calculations so that I can mark out the floor. Why do we still work in imperial, I wonder? Out of 29 layouts, only one quotes the size in metres. The Autocad plan of the show is done in metric, so I am always converting back and forth. Perhaps I will ask for metric layout dimensions next year!

• Like 1

just finished doing the setting out calculations so that I can mark out the floor. Why do we still work in imperial, I wonder? Out of 29 layouts, only one quotes the size in metres. The Autocad plan of the show is done in metric, so I am always converting back and forth. Perhaps I will ask for metric layout dimensions next year!

Industrivej should be in both for the convenience of today's busy exhibition manager.

• RMweb Gold

How to get to the show

By Train

Travellers by train are recommended to catch a NET tram service to Phoenix Park from Nottingham Station tram stop We have a free heritage bus service to Harvey Hadden Sports Village, thanks to our friends at Nottingham Area Bus SocietyBuses will leave from Stop CL30 just off the roundabout outside the tram stop

Alternatively catch Nottingham City Transport's Pink Line No 28 Bus to Bilborough from Victoria Centre (stop J6)

By Tram

Catch a NET tram service to Phoenix Park We have a free heritage bus service operating between The Tram Phoenix Park & Ride site & Harvey Hadden Sports Village on both days, follow this link for the time tableBuses will leave from Stop CL30 just off the roundabout outside the tram stop

By bus

Catch Nottingham City Transport's Pink Line No 28 Bus to Bilborough from Victoria Centre (stop J6)

Cyclists – Harvey Hadden has cycle parking facilities

By car/motorcycle

Thee is unlimited free parking at Phoenix Park which is located just off  M1 Junction 26 on the A610 towards Notiingahm City centre (Sat Nav Ref NG8 6AS) .We have a free heritage bus service operating between The Tram Phoenix Park & Ride site & Harvey Hadden Sports Village on both days, follow this link for the time tableBuses will leave from Stop CL30 just off the roundabout outside the tram stop

There is also free on-site parking at Harvey Hadden Sports Village and free, unrestricted on-street parking outside (parking restrictions only apply during the working week)  the venue will be signed locally, with “Nottingham Model Railway Exhibition” signs, for sat-nav users the postcode is NG8 4PB

The exhibition guides have now been printed – don’t forget to buy one for a chance to win a trip round Etches Park courtesy of our friends at East Midlands Trains

See you there

That's all well and good, but where do I park the helicopter?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

'What if it snows?'

After the G0G Kettering fiasco,it's worth asking, since some cold weather is forecast. Though I don't recall the Nottingham show ever being snow affected. Rain, maybe. We'll be there with the GCR Bridge to the Future.

Dava

• Like 2

'What if it snows?'

After the G0G Kettering fiasco,it's worth asking, since some cold weather is forecast. Though I don't recall the Nottingham show ever being snow affected. Rain, maybe. We'll be there with the GCR Bridge to the Future.

Dava

We have had snow forecasts before and we go on regardless. It doesn't affect the car parks as they are tarmac. We used to use the field as an overflow but they built sports facilities on that, so we only have the tarmac areas now. That is why we run a shuttle bus to the massive Phoenix Park P+R site, and it connects with the tram as well. The centre car park can fill up quickly, but there is free parking both sides of Wigman Road at weelends and last year, even at the busiest time, there were plenty of spaces on the road right outside the centre.

Visited this morning. Arrived spot on 10, redirected to park on main road (2 min walk away so no problem).

Thought it was a very good show. Good selection of traders and layouts, a lot of excellent modelling on display, Kirkmellington and South Town were both new to me and really captured the essence of the areas they were depicting IMHO.

Seemed to me to be plenty of space to move about too.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Just returned home from my annual pilgrimage to the city of my birth. I thought the standard of exhibits this year was superb and I had a great day wandering around, watching trains, daydreaming and allowing too many people to relieve me of my cash. Well done to the organisers, first class job.

• Like 1

I spent most of the day on the 2mm Association stand. A very friendly and enjoyable show which I try to get to every year. The cakes for exhibitors were particularly welcome.

It did seem rather quieter than usual this afternoon so I wonder if the weather was putting the punters off. My car had a nice crust of frozen snow on the non-sunny side when it was time to leave and then the screenwash nozzles froze while I was driving back down the M1. Just the ticket when you reach a dry stretch and the collected salty spray dries to a white film all over your windscreen. Oh well, it all turned out OK in the end and like I said, it was a good day.

Regards, Andy

Yes, another good one - and contrary to some descriptions of many recent shows elsewhere, there did seem a reasonable selection of vendors of "bits and pieces" suitable for kit-builders.

There may not have been a single show-stopper, but the overall quality of layouts (steam and diesel/electric) was pretty high, my personal favourite by a slight margin being South Town.

Biggest disappointment for me in some ways was the Lancashire & Yorkshire layout, Calderdale.  Scenically it was first-class, and the visible rolling stock also looked to be of high standard; but operationally ... well, I tried standing watching it four separate times for several minutes at a time.  The bells did an awful lot lot of ding-a-linging, but very little actually seemed to be moving; indeed one of those times not a single thing moved at all, yet there was no indication the operators were having problems.  Such a shame, it should have been a highlight.

Particular thanks to David Wright for the 'hands-on' tuition on scribing stonework - that diorama of  Constable's The Haywain mentioned in a previous post will be simply outstanding when complete.

Edited by Willie Whizz

• RMweb Premium

It's quite snowy south and west of Nottingham tonight, hope it's clear enough for everyone to get to the show safely tomorrow [my turn on the GCR stand].

Dava