Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, D5158 said:

Over to you.

Many thanks, thats helpful!

I'm inclined to just leave the Lionheart on unless I can get the same close coupling effect. Just a pity they weren't arranged slightly higher up.

I might have a play at some point but its quite a long way down a long list!

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2023 at 20:57, Hal Nail said:

I didn't know that,

Funnily enough though, in The Steaming Sixties, 4, the Withered Arm, which I believe is your sort of area, the only mk1 in the entire book is a BCK.... but it's in chocolate and cream!

Edit: no green BCK in any of my books but several numbered 3 coach BSK, CK, BSK sets.

Had a look through Parkin's MK1 coach book the other day. Nice photo of a BCK in green, commonwealth bogies, BR crest and the later window frames. Seems to have been one of 14 (?) originally allocated to the SR. So rare beasts.

• Like 2

My first go at coupling the earlier batch of Mk1's was to install some drophead couplings.  These were surplus to two Heljan Gresleys to which I added Kadees between the coaches (and through the buffer beams).  These couplings can best be described as cosmetic, they don't actually do anything.  The EC ones sound much better but I haven't seen any in action.  Coupling to a loco required the loco screw link dropping over the coach hook.  I had to cut away some of the gangway for this to be at all feasible.  Even so I received many complaints from my team members about how difficult coupling was.

Therefore, I removed the cosmetic dropheads and replaced them with screw link.  Not prototypical but sometimes function trumps form.

I am fine with the faux Kadees between the coaches.  They really should be through the buffer beam but you can't tell when riding past on a bike.

John

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the EP’s of the BCK, rain strips should be fitted on to the roof at each side, above the first class and guards door.

My observations would favour the curved types, however the BR (S) one in the post earlier is straight.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/09/2023 at 17:39, D5158 said:

Looking at the EP’s of the BCK, rain strips should be fitted on to the roof at each side, above the first class and guards door.

My observations would favour the curved types, however the BR (S) one in the post earlier is straight.

I received a very prompt reply to my comments via the  Dapol website.
Richard of Lionheart stated the production version of the BCK will have the correct roof detail including the rain strips.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As a follow up, I purchased some Lionheart buckeye couplings to add to the BSK’s inorder to run a CK, BSK, SK formation.  You have to totally disassemble the coach in order to fit them however.