OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

Hi Dave, nicely cut Barnett, since I last saw you mate lol

Its looking pretty good and I notice the Bodies are looking far better already compared to the Hornby version, but then that cant be hard to achieve. 

Its one small step for DJ Models, and One Giant Leap for the Advancing forward of the APT-P Model, look forward to many more steps along the way Dave, your making good progress.

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, ac1874 said:

From the Class 92 thread.......

"He had a 3D print of the APT, nothing new for the 92"

My full quote which adds some context:

19 hours ago, woodenhead said:

He had a 3D print of the APT, nothing new for the 92 but if you check his site he did say they had provided a 92 CAD in 3000 bits rather then 200 so he couldn't print it.

• Like 1

It's a shame that it wasn't specified that the CAD needed to be suitable for 3D printing or that the instruction was ignored. It seems everything Dave arranges suffers from unforeseen gremlins.

G

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The great thing about statistics is numbers...

20k a year.

a working year is 260 days (5 days a week).

4 people in an 8 hour day.

20000/260 = 76 customers a day.

/4 = 19.23 customers per person-per day..

8*60 min = 480 working minutes

480 / 19.23 customers gives a very respectable 24.9 minutes per customer.

So my stat...

I listed 40 items on ebay yesterday, taking 4 hours in listing, photographing and testing. Ive sold 15 already today and spent 90 mins wrapping, and will spend another 15 minutes driving / posting.

so.. 

listing.. (4*60) / 40 = 6 minutes per item to sell.

despatch (90/15) = 6 minutes to sell + 15 mins transport (which is the same for 1 or 15 items).. in this case 2.25minutes each..

gives me a through put of 14.25 minutes per item.

I would think that gives me a target of 64 items a day to wrap, pack and post, and a similar 64 items a day to test, photograph and list. In theory i could off more than half of a Bachmann limited edition in a week on my tod.

i wonder what a supermarket operatives kpis  are.. number of items sold, total sale price or number of customers ?

My conclusion ststs are fun but its not really relevent.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

The difference is the supermarket operative doesn't have to design and make the can of beans as well as sell it.

In fairness, Dave isn't actually designing the model either, his Chinese supplier is. Dave just project manages it.

Overall, Dave is sole sales person for DJM. If he isn't marketing, selling, invoicing etc then no one else is whereas most other suppliers have more than 1 person in the team and clearly the biggest manufacturers have a whole team for each task.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Fantastic, well done. Shame the business didn't survive.

Hee... That was long after the owner of the time had sold it to Modelzone  (some of the people whom worked the The Signalbox under Modelzone now run Invicta). 

My original post was about it being easier for a one man band to handle several hundred customers per project vs a few thousand per project. If you are organised then several hundred per project are easy figures to treat. You have taken the phrase out of context of the rest as if to imply that a one man band will find that hard. Maybe some will, but it is still 10 times easier than several thousand customers - my original point.

But back to the thread.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

My original post was about it being easier for a one man band to handle several hundred customers per project vs a few thousand per project.

Not necessarily so at all.  I work myself as a one man band operation and as such it is essential that I know every aspect of the business inside-out - from basic customer service, sourcing/research of new stock, purchase of stock, selling, packing, despatch, income tax, VAT, advertising, website management, website maintenance, graphic designer, sticking every stamp on every envelope/package and of course brewing one's own tea - all things that I have to alternate between on a regular basis, among many other aspects which I am sure I could go on all night to list... 

Conversely, within an operation comprising several partners/staff/employees there will exist such a thing known as delegation, whereby not everyone will be required to know each and every aspect of the business inside-out, as each partner/employee will have either one or a number of key tasks that they will (sometimes solely) be responsible for.  This ability to delegate lightens the load upon  each individual tenfold.  So, sadly I have to declare that I find your defense questionable, to say the least.

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, YesTor said:

Not necessarily so at all.  I work myself as a one man band operation and as such it is essential that I know every aspect of the business inside-out - from basic customer service, sourcing/research of new stock, purchase of stock, selling, packing, despatch, income tax, VAT, advertising, website management, website maintenance, graphic designer, sticking every stamp on every envelope/package and of course brewing one's own tea - all things that I have to alternate between on a regular basis, among many other aspects which I am sure I could go on all night to list... 

Conversely, within an operation comprising several partners/staff/employees there will exist such a thing known as delegation, whereby not everyone will be required to know each and every aspect of the business inside-out, as each partner/employee will have either one or a number of key tasks that they will (sometimes solely) be responsible for.  This ability to delegate lightens the load upon  each individual tenfold.  So, sadly I have to declare that I find your defense questionable, to say the least.

I dońt dispute any of that.  If you are a one man band then you are jack of all trades and master of all.  My previous point was, someone took a phrase out of context. The original context was someone asking why isn"t the project being marketed to get the maximum number of orders. I speculated that if their were 4000 per project, one person would be swamped to cope with dealing all the customers and would probably not have time for the product dev itself.  But - in this market and the product concerned- several hundred should be manageable.

if it sword smithing, several hundred customers would be hard to fulfil. If it was kit built locos, built to specific demand, it would be hard to fulfil. Here we refering to a mass produced item with CADs, tooling, assembly outsourced. Granted he still has a lot to do - I am not saying being a one man band is easy (my parents both had their own companies as one man bands - well, one woman band in the case of my mother) - I'm saying he should be able to cope with the several hundred orders/customers each project (currently 4 actually running - rest on hold) generates. I suspect he would be overwhelmed if each had a few thousand orders/customers. 

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Last few posts have been interesting to read.

i recall Tinsley open day in the early 1990’s, when these events attracted a new celebrity Loco livery, in this case, with fore knowledge I think it was Rail Mag had   commissioned a Lima ltd edition in advance and had it on their stand, same day the real thing was revealed...

All 512 were sold out in a single day... those manning that stand earned their salaries that day,  average would be 64 locos an hour, more than 1 per minute...no doubt was the person collecting full rrp margin on the selling price of it happy that day too.

Anyways...  I’ve not learned anything new about the APT.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2 February 2019 at 22:14, GordonC said:

and the 3D print looked good!

Well both you and DJM have never seen an APT-P then as the 3D print he is holding is clearly wrong as there is one obvious error. He is probably hiding another by his right hand. If say that as why hold it if there wasn't something wrong that he was trying to hide? Why not sit it on a flat surface to photograph it?

He must have added a door where there shouldn't have been one. If so, have can errors occur when it was supposed to be scanned!

• Funny 2

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, HullCityB17 said:

If say that as why hold it if there wasn't something wrong that he was trying to hide? Why not sit it on a flat surface to photograph it?

Because when I took the picture, I asked him to hold the thing so we got a photo of both. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1