OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

I think the only starting line is the start and finish line together, as i dont know of any plans to make them after the initial crowdfunder, although myself i wouldnt mind a 'City of Derby' power car dummy and a single RTC APT coach for my RTC collection of stock.

That's probably a good idea Dave. I would put my name down for a power car on it's own to make an RTC test set and then keep my fingers crossed for Rapido trains to make the HST P. I imagine the motored power car would cost the same as one without a motor. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi

My personal view is to go for the full set. This way you can always run shorter formations and if you get the opportunity you have everything already for the whole train. This is how I looked at the Pendolino when offered and what I will probably order for the APT-P.

Cheers

Paul

You’re right, and with full domestic approval, a 14-car set was ordered tonight.

Now to save up and stick some things on ebay.

Roy

I'm finding these prices scary.

Its only a matter of time before everything else catches up.

Just look at prices over the last 4 years and things are not going to get any better for a few years yet.

I dont like it either but we just have to accept it or buy old second hand models and do some actual <gulp> modelling.

• RMweb Gold

Its only a matter of time before everything else catches up.

Just look at prices over the last 4 years and things are not going to get any better for a few years yet.

I dont like it either but we just have to accept it or buy old second hand models and do some actual <gulp> modelling.

I guess I looked at the 14-car set and considered what two modern spec locos and 12 modern spec coaches would normally cost. Wasn’t that much different really. £300ish for 2 locos and £500+ for 12 coaches.

Roy

You will probably have about 9-12 months to save up so you never know, plus it is paid in installments so no big bill all at once.

Edit-

It might even take 2 years or more so £1000 over 24 months is only £42 a month or £10 a week, that sounds much better than £1000 straight off.

Edited by royaloak

I guess I looked at the 14-car set and considered what two modern spec locos and 12 modern spec coaches would normally cost. Wasn’t that much different really. £300ish for 2 locos and £500+ for 12 coaches.

Roy

Agreed.  And for those still squirming over the price then look at it this way - if it's paid in four installments then on the basis of the 14 car set then that's an average of £250 per installment.  More palatable surely? 

Secondly, as it is anticipated that the project will take at least 2 years, or maybe 3 years to complete, my guess is that with the rate that prices are rising on standard line products that by 2020 the quoted prices for the APT-P may well seem like a bargain by then!

• RMweb Gold

Can Durham trains of Stanley kindly advise this thread the timing and amount of all stage payments for this project?

As it involves a lot of money the timing of payments is just as important as the total amount. When this is known I (and others) can make a decision of whether to buy and which option to choose.

Thanks

• Like 1

I’m afraid all we have is a 6 month schedule to raise the crowdunding to allow the project to go beyond the stage it is now.

Once this threshold is reached, then I think this is the next step, however, crowdfunders need to be aware that the project could overrun projected timelines, and although annoying, might actually help in delaying certain stages deposits until such delayed stage is completed.

As for amounts, that will, depending on the makeup of sets being sold, reaching the go stage. For instance, if everyone purchased 14 coach sets, it would be 250 x 4 payments plus postage, but if everyone ordered the 6 car sets it would be lower deposits over more models, if you get my meaning?

Please remember that as soon as we reach the plateau to go ahead to design, scanning etc, the quicker we start properly on it all, although rudimentary work has started already on the beast!

Please note this is a DJM crowdfunding project and DJM will be invoicing, designing, and finally supplying the finished model and is therefore totally responsible for your investment.

Also: Please Note: Any 'pure' crowdfunding venture is an investment with no guarantee of return, and your invested capital (deposit payments) are at risk. Please consider carefully whether you wish to partake in this venture before ordering.

Cheers
Dave

I may have missed this but has the make up of each set announced? I'm unsure of which set(s)  to order - can't see the point in buying a 14 car set due to space but the idea of running 2 shorter sets appeals.

I presume a 5 car set would be same as Hornby - 2 DTS, 2 TBF + PC and that this would be the basis for all the other sets?

What would be the extra carriage added to the 6 car set?

Presumably a 7 car set would be the same as the 6 car set but with the extra PC?

Can't see me going for a 10 car set but would the 4 extra carriages be on top of the basic 5 car set?

I may have missed this but has the make up of each set announced? I'm unsure of which set(s) to order - can't see the point in buying a 14 car set due to space but the idea of running 2 shorter sets appeals.

I presume a 5 car set would be same as Hornby - 2 DTS, 2 TBF + PC and that this would be the basis for all the other sets?

What would be the extra carriage added to the 6 car set?

Presumably a 7 car set would be the same as the 6 car set but with the extra PC?

Can't see me going for a 10 car set but would the 4 extra carriages be on top of the basic 5 car set?

The question is not clear, are you trying to determine the intermediate car of the 6 and 7 car sets from this list?

48201-48206 - Trailer Second

48401-48406 - Trailer Restaurant Second Buffet

48301-48306 - Trailer Unclassified

48501-48506 - Trailer First

FWIW The 10 car set has one of each above. All non intermediate vehicles being 2 of each.

Edited by JSpencer

I’m afraid all we have is a 6 month schedule to raise the crowdunding to allow the project to go beyond the stage it is now.

Once this threshold is reached, then I think this is the next step, however, crowdfunders need to be aware that the project could overrun projected timelines, and although annoying, might actually help in delaying certain stages deposits until such delayed stage is completed.

As for amounts, that will, depending on the makeup of sets being sold, reaching the go stage. For instance, if everyone purchased 14 coach sets, it would be 250 x 4 payments plus postage, but if everyone ordered the 6 car sets it would be lower deposits over more models, if you get my meaning?

Please remember that as soon as we reach the plateau to go ahead to design, scanning etc, the quicker we start properly on it all, although rudimentary work has started already on the beast!

Cheers

Dave

I understand the difficulties in quoting timelines at this stage.

There will be a lead time from submitting the final design to producing the model.

Before it gets this far, it will go through pre-production of design-build-refine then back again until the manufacturer is happy with it. I am sure most of us would want these refinements & the delays they incur instead of rushing through the first design to meet a deadline.

I understand the difficulties in quoting timelines at this stage.

There will be a lead time from submitting the final design to producing the model.

Before it gets this far, it will go through pre-production of design-build-refine then back again until the manufacturer is happy with it. I am sure most of us would want these refinements & the delays they incur instead of rushing through the first design to meet a deadline.

I am fairly sure too that most will want the project to drag on for nearly 3 years in order spread payment over a larger period too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am fairly sure too that most will want the project to drag on for nearly 3 years in order spread payment over a larger period too.

If the Class 92 is a guide, I paid the initial £30 deposits on each of my locos in September 2016. I've paid nothing since and I think the next installment will be February 2018, some 17 months later.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but I still have my childhood HST, never upgraded to Lima or later Hornby. I even have a spare set of black APT windowed driving trailer tops to convert my original plain set should the fancy take me (Thanks Dagworth!)

Dunno, still undecided. It may be that a few old sets become available after the announcement and I can do some modelling making my own 7 car (or more) set .......

• Like 1

Oh great!

just found this topic. There I was happy in the assumption that it was just N gauge. Now I am in agony - do I betray my Hornby version and order?????

I must admit that I've never had any problems about feeling 'unfaithful' to a train!

Last year, I did replace the power cars of my childhood HST, the MkIIIs will follow once Oxford gets round to them. Then the APT-P, the rail crane (which I'll just replace with Bachmann) and Stowe are all that are left.