Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

Advised by email that my late crest will be delivered by DPD tomorrow Wed19th.

Pressy from the missus so I won't be able to open it for a week!

Dave.

As far as I'm aware, Hornby are only producing the early crest variant Haig as a first release.

The late crest is a probable scheduled item for next year, fingers crossed.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

As far as I'm aware, Hornby are only producing the early crest variant Haig as a first release.

The late crest is a probable scheduled item for next year, fingers crossed.

It arrived tonight when I was out..and its now wrapped up and the German Shepherd instructed to guard it until the 25th!

The invoicing suggests a late crest and thats certainly what I ordered however its no big deal as the period modelled is ok with both and the first thing that will be done when its eventually opened is to weather add detail and renumber..and lose the Haig name!

post-2371-0-14078700-1545271240_thumb.jpg

Dave.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

If you haven't made your mind up yet, maybe these will help...? 

31452209617_948cd8caec_c.jpg

R3622 Full front by Derails Models, on Flickr

31452210447_5516ef8c89_c.jpg

R3622 Full by Derails Models, on Flickr

46340715842_b909f6454f_c.jpg

R3622 - 2 by Derails Models, on Flickr

46340716692_20b2263636_c.jpg

R3622 - 3 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 8

Can anyone please advise whether the hole above the handrail (RHS) is for some form of separately added detail ???

Lovely looking loco though, well done Hornby !

Looking at prototype photographs of J36, there should not be anything above the handrail on that side of the boiler, I did find this photo of Haig at Grangemouth, showing that in later years anyway it ran with an enclosed cab tender, https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/keyword/65311/

Jim

Looks like a loose handrail knob to me.

Funny that it has occurred on both the Rails and Derails models.

Jason

Hopefully a sample being used by both shops for photos. The Vacumn return pipe doesn't look right and rusty Coupling Rods too.

Dropped into Derails today to be greeted by Little Dan saying that was quick!! We only just sent the E mail.

Saw my J36 being tested and happily paid for what is a great looking loco.

Work on the garage starts in January, so a small shunting layout based on the South Queensferry branch will get me back into building layouts etc. The Lightmoor Press book on Lost Lines of West Lothian plus the Iron Rails and Whisky Trails give lots of ideas.

The branch had Royal Navy traffic as well as vans for the whisky bottling plant.

• Like 6

Mine is also on the way.

Looking at the above photographs the model shown has two upper lamp irons, one mounted on the smokebox door and one atop the smokebox itself. Looking at various photographs it would appear that both locations are prototypical for the BR era, but presumably not at the same time.

The unknown hole on the right hand side of the smokebox is where the exhaust steam pipe for the Westinghouse pump would run, so it would appear Hornby are using a generic smokebox moulding for both early LNER and BR versions.

Small quibbles of no great consequence - I am seriously looking forward to delivery of the first well detailed Scottish RTR loco.

• RMweb Gold

Purchased mine from Monk Bar Models in the afternoon, and what a beautiful model it is. It runs just as sweetly as the lovely J15, and looks so 'right'. It is definitely worth every penny.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1