Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not that old urban myth again. :rolleyes:

BR green was a set shade. There was no variation and it wasn't mixed in a big bath tub by an old bloke that had been on the ale the night before....

Any deviation on colour would have been a sacking offence and by the 1950s most paint was being bought in from the paint manufacturers anyway.

Jason

EXACTLY !!!!

Any two locos painted / repainted in BR loco green were clearly the same colour when viewed in close proximity.

I know this as an attendee at BR works open days / works visits throughout the early / mid 1960s.

At both Derby and Swindon loco works I saw, side by side or end to end, brand new diesel locos and overhauled / repainted steam locos. The former were unlined, whereas most, but not all of the latter were lined orange / black / orange. Though the lining did affect the perception of the shade of green, close inspection showed that there was no actual difference whatsoever.

Clearly, in service green locos varied hugely in appearance, BUT THIS WAS ENTIRELY DUE TO THE EFFECTS OF TIME AND WEATHERING.

To represent the prototype, all model green BR locos should emerge from the factory in the same, (easily correctly specified), shade of green - as per the real thing. If the ultimate aim is a faded, workworn loco due for shopping, this can be achieved by weathering the model.

I would repeat - there can be no justification for issuing models in fictitious shades of green.

CJI.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2022 at 18:56, cctransuk said:

I would repeat - there can be no justification for issuing models in fictitious shades of green.

I’ll rise to your challenge, history always provides exceptions…

D01DA4B8-3940-4DE3-9993-FD2C9366BB7C.jpeg.f0508ecbfce40e4bcf4818a9a4f85a64.jpeg

in 1989 the wrong shade of Green was used in 7828 Odney Manors first overhaul, it ran for at least 3-4 years in what I can only describe as a Hornby shade of GWR green.

its not unique to the GWR either…

0A93C542-28C4-415E-9F26-080E65E3E4DA.jpeg.216eb76ae7fe55ea8ee69d8480f2b870.jpeg

and this is certainly Red…

2999F2B0-6951-4FFF-AECE-DA228B637536.jpeg.da7eb0469b89a3ad63b439ea6650b896.jpeg

if preservation cant get the livery right, what chance a model company of full time CAD or Graphic designers who may or may not have an enthusiast background, or any railway history.

of course true fiction…. Anything is possible.

F83F5221-418C-46A6-8D28-0F66F882FF22.jpeg.08d77db4f5916d416d0e190fccbea2f1.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But, in this day and age, paint codes that are generally accepted to be authentic are known to established enthusiast bodies (LMS Society etc) and paint manufacturers. Neither treat them as trade secrets, and anybody who cares enough can access them. 

All that said, if (like me) you accept the principle of "scale colour" then a shade that indisputably is correct, and looks perfect on a full-size vehicle, can look anything but when reduced to 1:76th scale.

I refer the jury to BR(S) coach green(s). Bachmann did a pale version that looked much closer than it really was, and a dead-right one that looked far too dark. Hornby use a shade that is somewhere in between, but which most of us find acceptable even if we don't consider it to be quite "there".

I worry slightly in what shade the new Bachmann Bulleids will emerge. Hopefully they won't be too proud to use a third shade closer to Hornby's

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...

Odd that they've chosen 864 for the malachite LN, since the Bachmann split chassis one, available NOS or barely used for £50,  is the same example.  I'm sure it's better than the Bachmann one, but not four times better.   Mine runs very nicely.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/07/2022 at 16:17, rogerzilla said:

Odd that they've chosen 864 for the malachite LN, since the Bachmann split chassis one, available NOS or barely used for £50,  is the same example.  I'm sure it's better than the Bachmann one, but not four times better.   Mine runs very nicely.

Of course the minute you take delivery of your new £200 loco a big chunk of the cost has vanished, so its not 4 times more at the same point in it's life cycle.

Anyway 864 is actually just over £150 from some of the box shifters.

On 07/07/2022 at 21:51, Opelsi said:

Would love 850 in SR Malachite (maybe as an NRM special)!

We really are getting into a hornets' nest with that preserved livery .......... the malachite green was authentic but why, oh why did they put Maunsell-era insignia on it !

Edited by Wickham Green too
spilling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 9 months later...

Notice that the next Nelson is Sir Walter Raleigh in Southern and early BR liveries.

An odd choice for the latter as it received a MN chimney in January 1956 and the long boiler two years later (and late crest two years after that).

So unless it has a unique chimney and the unique long boiler it’s only accurate for 1952-5 inclusive.

Edited by Chuffed 1

On 21/04/2023 at 17:26, Chuffed 1 said:

Notice that the next Nelson is Sir Walter Raleigh in Southern and early BR liveries.

An odd choice for the latter as it received a MN chimney in January 1956 and the long boiler two years later (and late crest two years after that).

So unless it has a unique chimney and the unique long boiler it’s only accurate for 1952-5 inclusive.

And? They've released models of Flying Scotsman that are only relevant for a few weeks whilst it was on display in Wembley. 

The new Channel Packet was also in the livery of the model for a very short time and is now "sold out" I believe. ISTR that the cast numberplates were removed as they were too heavy.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/sr-merchant-navy-class-4-6-2-21c1-channel-packet-era-3-r3434

So they can only release models if the loco lasted years in the same livery? What a bizarre idea.

Jason

• Funny 1