Do You Pre-Buy Things for Future Use?

... or buy as you need it?

Depends what it is but on the whole, I buy for the future as well as the present.

Obviously things like Locos and rolling stock are a little different but if you see a pack of five decoders but you actually only need just one at the moment, will you still buy the five anyway?

Or do you bulk buy track pieces, but some goes into storage straight away as it's not required?

People is another good one.  I bought about 500, but only need about 200 at the moment, but I knew it would probably work out cheaper in the long run to bulk buy the extra.

• Like 1

I do buy for future use. 

If I see a kit or packet of figures, platform clutter, etc., that I know will be useful when my future layout is up and running; then experience has taught me if I don't buy it there and then, I might never see another one for sale again. 

• RMweb Premium

I most definitely buy for the future. In fact my last layout (albeit a very small "Inglenook" shunting puzzle) was built almost entirely from "stock" items. I say "almost entirely" as I did buy the track, but because I wanted to try the new Peco bullhead, and then spotted their by-block track which I liked the look of, but I had sufficient track in stock, had I chosen that route. I use lots of Wills scenic sheets and keep most of that range in stock, and will buy more before the last sheet of a particular type is used. decoders, yup, plenty in stock, as I never remember to buy one with a new loco. 

I wonder if locos are any different? My main interest is early to mid 1970s Western Region, but I have nearly enough stock for a few other themes just waiting to be used.

•  AC Cars railbuses, class 14, disc class 22 and about half the goods stock a layout would need (and Pannier is on the list to add) - something rural and run down in terms of a layout
  • several 150 Sprinters, a pair of 153s and a two blue/grey 108s is a completely different era (with an original condition Pacer to add when available) - modern, flashy, urban and recently rebuilt will become their scene.
  • A few Sentinels, a Janus (and almost certainly a Andrew Barclay tankie, when I can decide which livery!) for something small and industrial, probably exchange sidings.

But I do try to keep my purchases, whether for "stock" or immediate use focused on what I am currently building, or likely to be building. That said I could probably keep modelling for several years yet just needing glue & paint to complete projects, and then continue for several more years with minimal purchases!

If I buy a kit, I nearly always buy all the bits and pieces to go with it, even if I have no intention of building it for ages. Because I have learned that stuff can suddenly and inexplicably go off the market.

Be prepared! is the motto.

• RMweb Gold

Much of the nicer RTR stuff sold today only arrives in the shops once, having been batch-made in China. So if you have an inkling you will need it in due course, buying it now is the only reliable option. 

Agreed, sometimes one or two more than I think I'll need - if they end up sought after they'll make useful trading fodder and if the dreaded Mazak rot strikes any of the others, they'll provide a source of spares that probably won't be obtainable any other way.

I also buy plastic wagon kits when they are first released and the moulds are nice and crisp.

If I was into DCC (which I'm not) I certainly wouldn't buy chips I didn't have an immediate need for, though. They'll be outdated in a years time and either looked down on or obtainable for peanuts (probably both).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Very much so. Don't ever think something will be available next week, next month or indeed next decade, it most likely won't so buy when available.

Spare bits and bobs especially so. I bought a Bachmann 4MT 800xx a few weeks ago on ebay, unfortunately lost a buffer but otherwise pristine, a good price and runs well. So off to the magic cupboard and behold a pack of the spares bought I suspect around 15 years ago!

The other thing is that with price increases, stuff bought a few years ago has worked out a lot cheaper than if it were bought today, assuming it is still available of course. So those dozen Baccy WR Mk1's at £12-15 a pop , now coming into service, have been a good buy. I don't by the way, expect prices not to carry on rising, but that's another issue.

John.

I do buy for future use. 

If I see a kit or packet of figures, platform clutter, etc., that I know will be useful when my future layout is up and running; then experience has taught me if I don't buy it there and then, I might never see another one for sale again.

No, the stuff you buy is tomorrow’s bargain clear out or remaindered stock; it’s the stuff you don’t buy that you never see on sale again.

• RMweb Gold

I've been buying stuff for the last 12 years , I started a layout in 2012 but never finished it but I'm now wiring my present layout so fingers crossed all the stock I've acquired in that time plus my pre 2012 stock will soon be running

I'm glad I bought stuff like wagons back then as its gone up in price massively over the years.

I found several presflo's the other day with £7.50 price tickets on them ,I believe they are about three times this now

I bought a load of SR electric units thinking I could build something in the future that would be properly suited over my current steam era model - then i realised at my age and layout building speed i would be dead before I built this idea so now I am off loading them.

I spent way too much on N gauge for a future layout that i wasn't going to build.

If you are going to future buy it needs to be something that fits into your modelling potential and not just in your dreams.

RTR in pretty, special liveries: buy when available, they ain't going back there.

Kits: I've bought whole trains in advance (and still not built them!) but can't afford that now, so now buy only what I might start in the next couple of months. Exceptions are kits known to be going out of production (David Geen -- eek!) and fossil kits on eBay.

Rolling-stock fittings: I used to buy in advance, and still keep a small advance stock of a few commonalities like wheels and wagon brake-levers, but I now only buy for vehicles under construction or which I'm about to start. I have faith that where a product becomes unavailable, somebody will start to sell a better or cheaper alternative; sometimes that person is me. Exactoscale C&W wheels are an exception here, since born-again C&L aren't doing them at present. If any more come up on eBay I shall have to sell a kidney.

Scenic stuff: buy it when I need it.

If I buy a kit, I nearly always buy all the bits and pieces to go with it, even if I have no intention of building it for ages. Because I have learned that stuff can suddenly and inexplicably go off the market.

Be prepared! is the motto.

This^^^^^

I've just ordered about 40-years worth of 4mm GWR transfers from Modelmaster, given that they may be totally unobtainable a year from now. 

Echoing Guy's post above, I am trying to summon the bravery to order about £1,500 of kits from David Geen before his retirement, which will be a selection of my (anticipated) future modelling needs.

With RTR, even second hand prices are rising inexorably, and so it makes sense to get what you need now, even if it has to go into storage for a decade or so. I snapped up a Hornby Star, 52XX and three Colletts in BR livery from the silly-cheap Hawkin's Bazaar  fire sales of 2014/2015, and whilst I haven't touched them since, I know I will need them at some point in the future of my modelling project. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Gold

Availability is never guaranteed, especially with the smaller manufacturers, one man operations, where an illness or change of circumstance for the owner can wipe out a product or range overnight without notification.  My preference is to buy in advance even if I have an uncomfirmed plan to do something, the most recent purchase of this sort being a set of King's Cross numberplates from a stall at the small Cardiff show for 1421, a future 'possible' for my layout.

I had the foresight to start obtaining stuff 36 years ago for a layout I am about to start,luckily I have enough stock to fill it 4 times over, as to what stock I have, its all in boxes or chests of drawers (yes plural) so its going to be like Christmas day for weeks on end.

The other half calls it clutter and me a hoarder but what does she know.   :laugh:

Starting to think this thread should be in the jokes section!  Reminds me of a line in the now-defunct OMNI magazine 25 years ago:  'a friend of mine put instant coffee into a microwave and went back in time'...

Or I buy food two days past their best before for pennies then pop back three days in my time machine to eat them

I think the majority of us " buy for future use " . That's why we have drawers , cupboards , garages , houses , lofts full of ' stuff ' !

Oh thank goodness. I'm Normal!

I've been buying Locos and rolling stock, but have hardly any track (& therefore no layout..... yet)!

Edited by Damo666

Definately buy for forward projects especially in 0 gauge as it has a multitude of cottage industry manufacturers and along with me they are getting older. The number of small businesses that have closed without a continuation of their products is quite noticable. This also goes for stuff in production i.e. Little Loco company has just called time on its excellent Class 15

Terry

I also do it with shoelaces etc etc (buy two at the same time) so that I always have an item ready if I need it - not when the shops open or needs me to get in the car and go to Tesco's .................................................. it get's right on the Wife's t*ts

Mind you it always paid off when ordering strategic & one-off common & obtuse cast manganese crossings - got the Network out of the shite on more than one occasion

• Like 1