R3555 Sir William Stanier F.R.S. re-run.

Chamby

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

I just got this model and am concerned about the linkage to the cross heads.

You can see from 0:56 in my video that the vertical drop bar is forward towards the cylinder.

This looks a bit off to me, kind of clumsy.

Is it right please?

Yes it is correct...

Just looks a bit strange with the crosshead near the piston. 

post-7929-0-46654800-1539822520_thumb.jpg

you can see at near the other end of piston stroke it looks like this

post-7929-0-72248900-1539822668_thumb.jpg.

Not sure if the assembly is exactly scale

Here is the real thing with rods forward, albeit in full forward gear..

post-7929-0-55355600-1539823192.jpg

Edited by robmcg

• 6 months later...

A quick and, possibly, ill-informed question born of my own ignorance; which of the current offerings is the right one for City of London, as I am hoping its just a case of renumbering SWS (probably not, however, as I recognise it as one of the ‘Ivatts’). My thanks in advance...

best,

Marcus (who has a vague recollection that CoL hauled us from Euston to Rugby in December ‘63, hence the desire for a model. Tell me it was a 40 and I’ll go away...)

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

There has not yet been a 'run of the mill' maroon destreamlined duchess issued, and all of the 2019  crop are either 'proper ones' (Montrose) or semis.

46229 Duchess of Hamilton, R3597..

good luck though, they only made 250 of them, of arguably the most popular Duchess of the all.

Heres my line up of rtr preserved Duchesses.. left to right.. 46229, 46235 and 46233

A4C4C504-7F37-4F65-A765-308CDD96F724.jpeg

14BAD90C-2CC4-45ED-BC34-D0EF9893C4BA.jpeg

94083BCC-C0A4-40AD-AF86-70D1280CB2A2.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 05/05/2019 at 17:00, EHertsGER said:

A quick and, possibly, ill-informed question born of my own ignorance; which of the current offerings is the right one for City of London, as I am hoping its just a case of renumbering SWS (probably not, however, as I recognise it as one of the ‘Ivatts’). My thanks in advance...

best,

Marcus (who has a vague recollection that CoL hauled us from Euston to Rugby in December ‘63, hence the desire for a model. Tell me it was a 40 and I’ll go away...)

I’m afraid it’s the usual Hornby tactic of not making the most popular versions first.

46245 was a ltd edition of the previous model and turns up pretty frequently on eBay etc for around £80. They also did Cities of Bradford, Lancaster, Leeds, Carlisle and Nottingham (the last one weathered) in BR maroon. With a little work they look good. This is mine in progress - Gibson pony wheels, modelmaster plates and a later style chassis with fixed rear frames and tender gap reduced so far. A2ABF806-EC92-42D8-A075-61CAD591B5D8.jpeg.51e26050be94b25fd1b5d7c9dd13ca4a.jpeg

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I’m afraid it’s the usual Hornby tactic of not making the most popular versions first.

46245 was a ltd edition of the previous model and turns up pretty frequently on eBay etc for around £80. They also did Cities of Bradford, Lancaster, Leeds, Carlisle and Nottingham (the last one weathered) in BR maroon. With a little work they look good. This is mine in progress - Gibson pony wheels, modelmaster plates and a later style chassis with fixed rear frames and tender gap reduced so far. A2ABF806-EC92-42D8-A075-61CAD591B5D8.jpeg.51e26050be94b25fd1b5d7c9dd13ca4a.jpeg

Get Comet etched deflectors as well, they really make a difference to the face of the model.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thank you for inspirational picture. I have one of this edition and am now intrigued by the ‘later’ chassis (not one off The current generation I am guessing). The one I have is indeed a nice model and may well ‘do’ - unless there is an etched chassis out there somewhere along the lines of the Comet one - LCP2? The I could start having some fun...or just wait for Hornby (just like I have been waiting for Schools Class 920 ‘Rugby’...)

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

Thank you for inspirational picture. I have one of this edition and am now intrigued by the ‘later’ chassis (not one off The current generation I am guessing). The one I have is indeed a nice model and may well ‘do’ - unless there is an etched chassis out there somewhere along the lines of the Comet one - LCP2? The I could start having some fun...or just wait for Hornby (just like I have been waiting for Schools Class 920 ‘Rugby’...)

I have a lot of affection for my old model 46245 - it was the release of this that got me back into the hobby. I have another red one 'in traffic' -  46243 with another 4 'in store' awaiting upgrade. In some ways I prefer older model to the new - the old version is certainly a lot more tolerant of my less than perfect trackwork than 46256 is. 

Yes its a chassis from one of the later runs of the previous version - a direct swap once you've removed the old style injector pipework from beneath the cab.

Plenty more to be done including as Brocp says changing the smoke deflectors plus some Gibson handrail knobs, a Comet front bogie, cab doors and a fall plate.

But as you can see there is plenty  left to do on the layout too! 

• Like 1

Having now found the Comet chassis and being a P4 modeller anyway I think I am going to eschew the new Hornby offering and pursue the Comet chassis/Ultrascale wheels route. That way I have a P4 and a 00 chassis and the right locomotive...and probably come out with some beer money left over.

Its all your fault! inspiration!

Best,

Marcus

• Like 3

• 1 month later...