Advice for someone thinking of starting modelling American

Jerry1975

I've always used Micro Engineering Code 70 for my US layouts. http://www.microengineering.com/products_ta.htm

Peco will be bringing out their own Code 70 too I believe.

steve

Micro engineering is harder to get in the UK, though not impossible. To be honest, it's entirely possible to build a good American layout with regular British Peco streamline track. It's really down to whether having spiked track is critical for you or not (though if you're going to consider building a modular compatible layout then note that the Freemo spec requires code 83). If you've got code 100 or 75 in stock then I'd consider using that first if you think you can live with the moulded chairs etc.

Isn't the code 70 range going to include a #4 turnout? Or am I imagining that?

Thanks Zomboid.

I will probably just use British track for my first layout as I have quite a bit, although I will only need some straight track and a turnout or two, will see how much it is, I'm on a tight budget like most of us are I guess.

Jerry.

If your going to use British track ,then Peco Code 75 is as good a place to start if you have it.

Once it`s ballasted and painted it does`nt look all that bad.....

post-19751-0-29776400-1521672247_thumb.jpg

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Most US stuff has been using RP25 wheels for awhile, so there won't be a problem with wheel flanges.

Pretty certain that RP25 is OK with the slightly larger Code 100 clearances as well.

Cheers,

Mick

Most US stuff has been using RP25 wheels for awhile, so there won't be a problem with wheel flanges.

Pretty certain that RP25 is OK with the slightly larger Code 100 clearances as well.

Cheers,

Mick

Agree. I've never had any problems running US stock on Peco Code 100

Edited by Alcanman

Wheel flanges on Maerklin stock (known as Pizza cutters) will catch if you try to run them on Code 70 and may on Code 83 - should be no trouble if you are using other makes NB Maerklin locos run on AC and not DC or DCC

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

I'll put this here, rather than on my layout thread as I think it's a useful US newbie question.

Shortlines - do they tend to predominantly use second hand motive power from one manufacturer?

i.e  Does one shortline have mostly Alcos, whereas another will have mostly EMD for example?

And the second question is:

If the use EMDs, do they lean towards a particular variant? GP9, GP15 etc?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

As most - though certainly not all - shortlines tended to be shoestring operations, (a few being quite literally one man and a dog operations), by and large they would take the cheapest, serviceable loco they could get, and the closest that was available to cut down the cost of moving it - many did not even stick to one loco supplier. The same applied to rail, and even ties, with it being sourced and salvaged cheaply from all over. Occasionally there would be a second u/s loco that was being robbed for spares

Edited by shortliner

I'll put this here, rather than on my layout thread as I think it's a useful US newbie question.

Shortlines - do they tend to predominantly use second hand motive power from one manufacturer?

i.e  Does one shortline have mostly Alcos, whereas another will have mostly EMD for example?

Cheers,

Mick

I would say that, in general, yes it's probably true that Short Lines with a fleet of locos, as opposed to just one or two, would try and be mostly "one make" users.

For instance in Minnesota, Progressive Rail are all EMD, whereas the Minnesota Commercial is all Alco, although years ago they did have a CF7 and an EMD switcher, both long gone as far as I know. It makes sense from the point of view of carrying spares, ease of maintenance and such like.

Even lines with just a handful of locos are likely to do this really, for the same reasons.

Re variants, not so sure. EMD in particular made a lot of 'common components' for their locos , so in the range of GP7 through to GP30 or so, beyond the engine size many parts would be interchangeable, same with the later types from GP38 onwards; so sticking to a particular variant wouldn't be particularly necessary. 

Edit: of course there are always "exceptions to the rule", or as we like to phrase it, "A Prototype for Everything", so if you want a mixed fleet, go for it!! same as what sort of Short Line you'd like to portray; one of Jack's down-at-heel, just about managing Lines, or one a bit more prosperous. :) ...and even the big Class 1s run on a shoe-string when it suits; the Canadian Pacific is renowned for being reluctant to apply fresh paint to it's locos!!

Edited by F-UnitMad

Cheers,

Mick

A local (for me) example might help http://www.osrinc.ca/ . The OSR uses second hand locos from mainly the Canadian Pacific with a few notable exceptions. MLW classes are preferred as they were scrapped/sold off earlier when the OSR was being formed but as you will see some GMD units are used. Buying in bulk makes sense simply because you will need spares down the line and any unserviceable units can be cannibalized for parts. Preferences for particular models just depends on what the big guys have on offer and what your track will handle.

HTH

David

Cheers,

Mick

Similar to Jordan's answer, in general - shortlines stick with one manufacturer BUT some shortlines have been buying new lately.

Witness the IAIS (with GE AC44's) and Arkansas Missouris with their (I think) EMD SD70Ace's.

A-M - http://www.amrailroad.com/

IAIS - http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/IAIS513ESF34/IAIS_513_0159

Sadly, the Minnesota Commercial has started using secondhand big GE's of late, I suspect the writing is on the wall for their Alco fleet (but I hope not!).

M-C: http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MNNR-84-MNNR-roundhouse-St-Paul-3-31-2013.jpg

The Arkansas Missouri did used to be an almost pure(?) Alco road with a great mix of models but I still like it anyway with its colourful livery and great countryside that it runs through.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks for all your replies everyone, most helpful.

Code 100 it is, I have some lying about so this will be used on my first layout, now where did I put my paper and pencil......

Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Code 100 (Peco) will serve you well, the highly prolific Roger Nicholls usually uses it and his layouts, along with the guys on here too, always looks good.

Similar with Peco code 75, my "New Ulm" uses that and I have no real issues with it.

But, I will say that you do get a slight drop through the flangeways and the check rails are looser than with the Peco code 83!

Nothing to worry about, just making you aware and not trying to start any arguments. (I've had one argument on this very thing, running for some twenty plus years!)

Cheers and good luck,

John.