Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

An update from Joel Bright (MD):

Hello, The JHA's are now complete, however, we are experiencing problems arranging reasonably priced container space coming out of China, especially on the run up to Chine New Year. Freight chances have gone up five fold and space is hard to book. As a result there is slight delay but hope to have them shipped soon after the return from CNY.

Hope this is of some use to other members?

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2021 at 18:24, GEARJAMMER said:

The lack of progress and communication from Dapol regarding these wagons and the class 59 is getting beyond a joke.

The Dapol Digest used to be a really useful source of project updates etc but I have to say that over the last 12 months or so it seems to have become redundant.  Thankfully there does seem to be an update on here courtesy of @MGR Hooper! above but it does seem poor that Dapol haven't seen fit to announce the delay and the reason for it. I'm sympathetic to their issue but if you don't hear anything the assumption is that there's no news or that they can't be bothered to keep customers up to speed. Compare and contrast with some of the newer manufacturers who have clearly taken the decision to fully engage through social media etc

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 09/02/2021 at 01:55, MGR Hooper! said:

An update from Joel Bright (MD):

Hope this is of some use to other members?

Regards

Thanks MGR...at least thats something to go on, however im now just as confused/frustrated, they say these wagons are complete and ready for shipping, did no one at Dapol think to photograph each model and send them to the UK in advance so we the buyers can put orders in? Or even air freight a very small selection to their Dapol HQ so reviewers/purchasers can see them and get funds ready for when they do eventually arrive?

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

im now just as confused/frustrated,

Frustration is apparent! ;) 

52 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

did no one at Dapol think to photograph each model and send them to the UK in advance

.They’ve had samples for a while if they want to do that.

53 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Or even air freight

Well probably because all forms of shipping are getting ridiculously expensive at present. Containers have gone up five fold so god knows what’s happening with the limited air freight! Someone has to pay for it, do you want a sorry we’ve had to add £5 to each wagon just to get them here faster?

The pandemic is adding complications that’s why they are delayed, wasting money isn’t going to help them sell better. You know they are coming and will make the decision on the info in this thread and elsewhere. Dapol know the pre orders and probably find no need based on that to push it any more. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Thanks MGR...at least thats something to go on, however im now just as confused/frustrated, they say these wagons are complete and ready for shipping, did no one at Dapol think to photograph each model and send them to the UK in advance so we the buyers can put orders in? Or even air freight a very small selection to their Dapol HQ so reviewers/purchasers can see them and get funds ready for when they do eventually arrive?

You know they’re coming - if “getting funds ready” is the issue then surely longer is better? Having them airfreighted at significant expense would be at odds with this…

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, njee20 said:

You know they’re coming - if “getting funds ready” is the issue then surely longer is better? Having them airfreighted at significant expense would be at odds with this…

I didn't mean air freight all of them, just 2-3 of each so they can be reviewed etc etc.

5 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

I didn't mean air freight all of them, just 2-3 of each so they can be reviewed etc etc.

It is quite possible that they did have some air freighted over. However if you may recall, Dapol has completely closed down at least twice in the last couple of months owing to the lockdowns in the UK. As Dapol is now basically a small family oriented business, they closed up completely. 

So things may have just ground to a halt. I'll drop Joel or Neil a message today and check up. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Are these being done as they are now without the large Yeoman lettering and just the Y and Yeoman in small lettering below it?

I thought they were doing 5 wagons in each livery, but that was a while ago and things may have changed.

Here's JHA OK 19320, not seen any photos of it online after it was converted from an inner to an outer. I don't know when it was done, but all the photos I've seen show it as an inner. It was in last Friday's 7O40 to Eastleigh.

IMG_20210212_144109.jpg.4334642a9fb7def89d338256db792499.jpg

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

It is quite possible that they did have some air freighted over. However if you may recall, Dapol has completely closed down at least twice in the last couple of months owing to the lockdowns in the UK. As Dapol is now basically a small family oriented business, they closed up completely. 

So things may have just ground to a halt. I'll drop Joel or Neil a message today and check up. 

Fair comment, the amount of stuff that Dapol do its easy to assume they are a large manufacturer.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also just a note to say, as was mentioned sometime back, that people will need to be very careful when advance ordering livery wise. It seems images and descriptions on many retailer websites give no indication as to which is the later or earlier livery!! Many retailers only show the earlier livery for all releases.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the crisis in the Suez has put an end to seeing these and many other items this year. Hope my pessimism is vastly misplaced and I'm totally proved wrong but unless the airfreight companies take advantage of the situation I can't see it.. 

5 minutes ago, Winter123 said:

I think the crisis in the Suez has put an end to seeing these and many other items this year. Hope my pessimism is vastly misplaced and I'm totally proved wrong but unless the airfreight companies take advantage of the situation I can't see it.. 

crisis, what crisis there is no sabre rattling involved!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winter123 said:

Airfreight is more expensive. Even more so with far less flights at the moment - a lot of airfreight is carried on passenger services. We airfreight some stuff for work - prices from the Far East are way higher than pre-Covid

The choice is pretty simple.

Wait a bit longer for your models.

Or: pay more and get them sooner.

The knock-on delay is likely to be a few months before shipping schedules are back to normal, leading to 6-8week delays in the meantime.

The other option is railway via Siberia. Similar transit times to shipping via Suez, but very limited capacity.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Eesh that could take a while, to raise a $1bn.. lots of insurers got to agree to pay the amounts, and their shares. Before that the haggling with the Egyptians, who really don't need to rush, to agree to the ransom before the ship is released.

Perhaps the next batch could arrive before this batch ? I hope the container is ok for extended periods in Middle Eastern heat, ive had a locomotive bodyshell curl up in direct May sunshine in this country.

Feel sorry for Dapol in this, I have noticed that model railway containers tend to arrive together, I wonder if they are the only ones with model railway stock onboard or if anyone else is yet to declare ?

Maybe Dapol should put a quick call in to a BBC journalist may be worthwhile, theres a sympathy story in the public interest there.

on the up side, when they do come,they could be sold with a certificate confirming participation in the Evergiven adventure “as seen on TV”... 

Edited by adb968008

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Perhaps the next batch could arrive before this batch ? I hope the container is ok for extended periods in Middle Eastern heat, ive had a locomotive bodyshell curl up in direct May sunshine in this country.

Feel sorry for Dapol in this, I have noticed that model railway containers tend to arrive together, I wonder if they are the only ones with model railway stock onboard or if anyone else is yet to declare ?

Ah Dapol and the second batch - REDEMPTION 

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately this could drag on for months. The Dapol products will maintain their value even if this lasts a considerable time. A fashion retailer with product on board may not be able to sell their summer collection if it arrives in the winter :)

Hopefully it does get resolved soon, otherwise in years to come, we will hear tales of people finding them on tourist souvenir stalls near the pyramids hidden under a stack of Ramses the second fridge magnets.

• Funny 4