BRM April '18 + FREE DVD

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

And in some light the text of the entire bloomin' article is fairly well concealed. by the 'shadow printing' behind it - I gave up on trying to read it last night.

It looked like someone had screwed up the article, binned it, dumped the digital copy, then realised that wasn't the one the editor had rejected and tried to straighten it out. Fortunately the original glass negatives were still at the back of the filing cabinet and so the photos were crease free. The council I used to work for had extensive guidelines about the clarity of its publications both in their content and their design - all part of what would now be called 'inclusiveness' - including everyone with poor sight. That article's appearance would not have been accepted.

Given that the BRM front cover has to have a space for the DVD, it is actually a bit less cluttered than Model Rail. Railway Modeller tends to keep to one photo, but lists more articles on its cover. This is all pretty irrelevant as all you see in most newsagents' displays are the titles. By the time you have picked one out of the fitment, you are on the way to having a quick flip through. I rarely study the covers. As I get my BRM by post I don't need to worry about looking at it in a shop - bagged or not. Judging by our local small newsagent's limited space and tightly packed fitments, I suspect having a projecting DVD risks having copies damaged when they are pushed back into the rack. That's why they prefer them bagged.

• Like 1

It looked like someone had screwed up the article, binned it, dumped the digital copy, then realised that wasn't the one the editor had rejected and tried to straighten it out.

I thought the Article on Albion Yard was very tastefully presented. More like that please.

...R

I thought the Article on Albion Yard was very tastefully presented. More like that please.

...R

It's twice as good in the digital version as you can flip the images to see the colour versions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's twice as good in the digital version as you can flip the images to see the colour versions.

I did think that was an excellent use of the digital format Andy. Works very well.

I think there's a few more areas where work could be done to differentiate the paper and digital versions.

Having now got the paper and digital versions of the April edition as Treneglos keepsakes, my preference is still for a paper copy although I see great potential in the digital version. It would be interesting to find out what size screen people are viewing the digital version on - smartphone (like me), tablet, laptop or large monitor - as that will make a big difference to how much of the page you can easily see and read.

Double page spreads work much better in the paper copy IMO. In the digital you have the choice of seeing one page in detail or both pages too small.

The ads at the back don't really work for me in the digital side as it takes too long to zoom in and pan around the pages.

The digital wins hands down on linking other content directly, websites, videos, alternative photos etc. Perhaps it's missing a trick to provide more links to prototype background info?

I think the main reason the digital misses out is that it's stuck emulating the paper copy. I find the zooming in and panning up and down, side to side a pain in articles. Small ads at the back could be rearranged to be bigger on more pages perhaps?

To make the most of the digital would need a different layout but I doubt this could be justified in terms of time and cost.

it's stuck emulating the paper copy...

To make the most of the digital would need a different layout but I doubt this could be justified in terms of time and cost.

It's a frequent discussion between me and Steve, the publisher. Chickens and Easter eggs.

It may be a silly question but can you not access pocketmags website with that.

There's a free sample if you ever want to see if it works - https://pocketmags.com/onlinereader/92853

Thanks for the link Andy.

Do you know if they have a "try before you buy" ? I can't see anything like that. It does not have to be BRM.

As far as I can see I could only use the online version which would mean I would not have my own copy to read offline and I would be using up my broadband megabytes every time I wanted to re-read an article.

Why can't we just download a PDF file? They work on all platforms.

...R

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the link Andy.

Do you know if they have a "try before you buy" ? I can't see anything like that. It does not have to be BRM.

As far as I can see I could only use the online version which would mean I would not have my own copy to read offline and I would be using up my broadband megabytes every time I wanted to re-read an article.

Why can't we just download a PDF file? They work on all platforms.

...R

Problem with PDFs is that folk pass them on. You'd potentially loose loads of sales that way.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone experienced problems with Safari? I've been a digital subscriber for a few years now but all of a sudden I can play dvd's but I'm being told that Safari doesn't support full screen option. My soft wear on iPad says its up to date. I've tried 3 DVDs all with the same result yet I have no problem going to full screen if I go to You Tube direct on other uploads. I have emailed pocket mags asking for their advice but wondered if I'm missing something simple - wouldn't be the first time.

Has anyone experienced problems with Safari? I've been a digital subscriber for a few years now but all of a sudden I can play dvd's but I'm being told that Safari doesn't support full screen option. My soft wear on iPad says its up to date. I've tried 3 DVDs all with the same result yet I have no problem going to full screen if I go to You Tube direct on other uploads. I have emailed pocket mags asking for their advice but wondered if I'm missing something simple - wouldn't be the first time.

Yes, found the same problem. Haven't found a solution yet.

And you don’t think people do that with paper copies????

Yes, quite probably. But I guess the difference is that you only have one paper copy to pass on (and would loose it) whereas a PDF can be multiple copied and circulated to many (while also retaining a copy for yourself).

G

• RMweb Gold

Yes, found the same problem. Haven't found a solution yet.

Have you tried clicking on the share button on the top right of the video, then copying the displayed link before pasting it into Safari?

I've been enjoying using the digital version for years. I just wish the email addresses and website links in the adverts (and occasionally, text) were live like they are/were in RM.

Edited by JCL

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, Andy. That always makes me clench my teeth. Would you be so good as to watch for the use of “whom” where “who” would be correct?

Can we do 'loose' and 'lose' as well? Popped up a couple of times in this thread. Try this:

"If it comes loose, you may lose it" Simple - and they are pronounced differently!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can we do 'loose' and 'lose' as well? Popped up a couple of times in this thread. Try this:

"If it comes loose, you may lose it" Simple - and they are pronounced differently!

David

That's certainly a good way to remember it.

Way of topic now, but for me at least, the pronunciation is the wrong way around. The single 'o' has a longer vowel sound than the double 'o' which is the opposite of what you find on 'booth' and 'both'.