Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

'Humour' on layouts - good or bad?

Well there is the classic locomotive name which always raises an eyebrow.

https://derekwilson-railphotos.smugmug.com/SteameventsatHeritageCentres/2012-22-September-Barrow-Hill/i-fFhV6VK/A

Jason

On a similar theme, I was on a train recently and we passed this one. I was convinced it was a joke, and googled it when I got home, which was a big mistake.

post-25124-0-69622200-1531857112_thumb.jpg

Sorry. I don‘t get the Mabbutt bit - or are wejust supposed to laugh at the Dick part?

Hint - treat the surname as two separate words. (Or not, as you prefer.)

On a similar theme, I was on a train recently and we passed this one. I was convinced it was a joke, and googled it when I got home, which was a big mistake.

attachicon.gifnpnlbcknk9901.jpg

According to form, that loco was a  specific request for a recent same-sex wedding railtour.

Whether it was the grooms who requested it, or the guests, has not been proven  ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many posts ago there was a model of a "Whippet Inn" public house. In the centre of York you will find its namesake. 

https://thewhippetinn.co.uk/

I think the former Tap & Spile, and before that, The Yorkshire Hussars. Apologies for the boring local trivia.

Regards, Ian.

Also in the real world, visitors to Barmouth may wish to dine at this place...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48149026@N03/36710166121

There's a tale and a half about the Carousal, when the place was sold a couple of years ago the new owners delightfully put up these signs deliberately to reflect the long tradition locally of the letter C's being half-inched, usually the very night after they were put up.  In the end the previous owners gave up and for years the café became known as the Arousal.

No-one locally though has ever been able to explain to me whether the original name "Carousal" (which roughly means what the Scots call a "drunken stooshie") was actually what the owners wanted or whether they couldn't spell "Carousel".  However, whether it was the intention to call it the Carousal or not, the mysterious losses of the letter C have probably generated more publicity for the place than anything else, and since the new owners have taken over, it does do some marvellous plates of fish and chips.

• Like 2

There was a pub in Liverpool that was renamed "The Cockwell Inn" during the 1990s. Somewhere round Tuebrook I think.

Scousers are renowned for their sense of humour but sadly this didn't appear to extend to Liverpool councillors, and thus it was renamed simply "The Cockwell"....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There was a pub in Liverpool that was renamed "The Cockwell Inn" during the 1990s. Somewhere round Tuebrook I think.

Scousers are renowned for their sense of humour but sadly this didn't appear to extend to Liverpool councillors, and thus it was renamed simply "The Cockwell"....

Similarly in Weymouth. Before it closed and got converted into flats the pub on the King St/Commercial Road corner adjacent the Harbour Branch crossing point was renamed the Oar House. The local licensing panel soon scuppered the rename!

Edited by john new