Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

'Humour' on layouts - good or bad?

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many of us actually modelled someone they knew and placed him/her on their layout ...

post-850-0-86122000-1527186105_thumb.jpg

... round the back of my fictitious athletics club diorama, there's a tall guy dressed up in black and white kit who's based on someone I knew at school who participated at a high level in athletics competitions.

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The man in the 'box on Fourgig East bears a close resemblance to a certain moderator of this parish

DSC_0785.JPG.259ae42c0fd2fa75ff651b8486030299.JPG

A sort of thank you for helping me with the signaling.....

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3

There was a small terminus station at an exhibition somewhere in Wiltshire a couple of years ago (I forget the name of the layout and where the exhibition was, apologies) where, amongst the more regularly garbed passengers on the platform was a figure in luridly-coloured shirt, jacket and trousers, holding a little red book...

G'Day Folks

Why did I think of Chairman Mao ?????

manna

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fine with most humour on layouts - even if it's not your kind of humour, it's the kind of thing that gets you looking more closely at the layout.

I've got to say that I don't find the proliferation of Sexy Scenes models funny. I don't find them offensive, I just find them a little bit witless. To me, they're the equivalent of those people who endlessly repeat jokes from sitcoms back at you because they can't come up with any of their own. Sexy Scenes are a joke devised by some anonymous Noch designer in Germany that endless modellers repeat on their own layouts and expect viewers to laugh at. After the third coastal layout in a row that features women getting changed behind a rock and oh look you can see everything, I find myself praying for someone to release a 4mm scale Beeching figure.

To me, they also have that slightly uncomfortable vibe of those awful 70s sex comedies, the ones that pretended to be all about the jokes but were ultimately just a censor-evading excuse for showing naked women.

Edited by HonestTom

• RMweb Gold

I was quite pleased with the sign on one of Clecklewyke's mills which reads "I A Rice Spinner of Fine Yarns".

Next to it is "Everett - Shoddy Manufacturer"

Shoddy is/was a type of woollens output so would be appropriate for a mill in the right district of West Yorkshire. Without looking it up I can't remember the main centre of production.

• RMweb Gold

Actually, don't!

A girl I once went out with had a father who was captured when Singapore fell, and very badly treated by the Japanese; he refused to allow my to park my Kawasaki in his drive, which I sort of understood and respected.  He was, strangely, happy to turn a completely blind eye to what was going on on his sofa...

• RMweb Premium

Actually, don't!

A girl I once went out with had a father who was captured when Singapore fell, and very badly treated by the Japanese; he refused to allow my to park my Kawasaki in his drive, which I sort of understood and respected.  He was, strangely, happy to turn a completely blind eye to what was going on on his sofa...

Just don't park your Kawasaki on the sofa.. ..

There was a doorman on one of the local Rock clubs whose chat up line was that he had a Harley Davidson in his bedroom.

According to other people we knew it was true.

In that he had parts of a broken one, but still lived with his mum and she wouldn't let him keep them anywhere apart from his part of the house.  :laugh:

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I once knew a bloke who had 3 Land Rovers in his (fully functional) bathroom, except for the wheels and the engines, which lived either in the garage or the fourth Land Rover, which worked.

There was a doorman on one of the local Rock clubs whose chat up line was that he had a Harley Davidson in his bedroom.

According to other people we knew it was true.

In that he had parts of a broken one, but still lived with his mum and she wouldn't let him keep them anywhere apart from his part of the house.  :laugh:

Jason

Also heard the same, about a lad, that has built a Yamaha Rd400 in his loft. :scratchhead:

Actually, don't!

My uncle was also captured when Singapore fell and ended up as forced labour on the Burma railway.

Like most of them he never spoke much about iwhat happened although we did find out much later that he was instrumental in a deliberate derailment of one of the narrow gauge locos they were using during the construction to delay progress.

But for the rest of his life he never bought or used anything made in Japan, something which became increasingly more difficult in the 1970s and 80s.

• Like 1

I like humour on layouts, particularly plays on words, but some do pass me by, I never got the "Shut that door/Je t'adore" one, probably because I don't find Grayson, or sny of the other more recent camp acts funny and never watched anything featuring him. But the "Julian & Sandy" radio sketches still make me smile when I hear them again or Kenneth Williams on Just A Minute repeats on Radio 4 Extra. Now there's a name for a business or shop front on a layout, "Julian Sandy Dance Studios"

I like the cameos on layouts, like the accident skid marks referred to earlier, or a vulture perched on a catenary mast arm, or the R.M. Webb furniture van. Here's a variant "R.M. Webber, Hot Air Balloon Rides"

As you'll already have realised, I do find "Inappropriate" business names funny, such as "Fiddler & Co. - Accountants & Tax Advisers" or "A. Tinkler & Sons Ltd - Plumbers Merchants". I did once work with a guy whose surname was Tinkler. Or "Sellers. Milligan, Secombe & Bentine - Solicitors", or "Earp & Cody - Builders".

I know lots of folks like them but I don't find the Sexy Scenes funny, just juvenile, not because I'm a prude, I can swear as well as the next flaming idiot, but probably because I've committed the unforgiveable sin of getting old, been there, seen that, done it. But if others like it then if they want it on their layout that's up to them. The "Rene Pogel" name makes me smile also as it's subtle, not in your face.

I do like the idea of the names on PO wagons, though. My ideal would be a rake with the names "Blodnock, Moriarty, Eccles, Crun, Bluebottle, Grytpype, Thynne, Bannister, and Seagoon", at least the last one gives a clue to their origin.

• Like 4

I once knew a bloke who had 3 Land Rovers in his (fully functional) bathroom, except for the wheels and the engines, which lived either in the garage or the fourth Land Rover, which worked.

Which reminds me that I need to remove the cylinder head of my S3 from the spare bedroom and put it back on the vehicle.......

• Like 1

"Dewey, Cheetham and Howe - Attorneys at Law" is a favorite one here in the US, from a public radio show. Substitute tax advisors, accountants, etc for Attorneys and you have the same effect. There really is a company called Dewey, Cheetham and Howe - it is the production company of the NPR radio show CarTalk - a humorous, but surprisingly useful listen on a Saturday morning.

P

And there really is this estate agent in Bridgnorth http://www.doolittle-dalley.co.uk/

My wife's family is trying to sell my late father-in-law's house and I believe that their current estate agent is behaving exactly thus...

A change is on the near horizon.

...and this one in the South-East? http://www.gpees.co.uk/

Edited by talisman56