Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

'Humour' on layouts - good or bad?

At work, I had to deal with a Mr C Shore, Mr P Green and a Mr & Mrs Isles and their daughter, Miss Isles.

Not a lot that can be done about the latter. If your surname is Isles and you have a daughter, then she will, whatever you call her, be Miss Isles. Just as if your surname is Bates and you have a son, he will be Master....  :angel: 

On a related note, there is a journalist by the name of Roger Boyes. Which is sniggerworthy enough as it is. But when he has to cover a story like this one, well.... https://regmedia.co.uk/2010/03/26/times_grab.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Not a lot that can be done about the latter. If your surname is Isles and you have a daughter, then she will, whatever you call her, be Miss Isles. Just as if your surname is Bates and you have a son, he will be Master....  :angel: 

In the former case, the answer is to get married quickly. 

I had a Miss Isle as a student teacher once...she did have a somewhat explosive temper.

There's a doctor at the hospital I work at called Dr Pearce - I think he must do a lot of injections.

I met a urological surgeon once called Miss Nurse. That must have caused some confusion. And there used to be a urologist at Bedford Hospital called Mr Waterfall.

And when I first moved to London I shared a house with a nurse called Patience.

Maybe not exactly humour, but the street names on Monk's Gate are all places I used to live at, all the bridge numbers are old house numbers and even my PIN features hidden in a wagon number...don't ask me why. The one-and-only shop on the layout is named after yours truly and the currently limited staff and livestock all have names. A bit silly and quaint but who cares?! It's a good idea not to take one's self too seriously...!

Maybe not exactly humour, but the street names on Monk's Gate are all places I used to live at, all the bridge numbers are old house numbers and even my PIN features hidden in a wagon number...don't ask me why. The one-and-only shop on the layout is named after yours truly and the currently limited staff and livestock all have names. A bit silly and quaint but who cares?! It's a good idea not to take one's self too seriously...!

I did also mention using references in the opening post of this thread, although maybe not to the extent of using my PIN number! All the wagons I've built have running numbers relating to what I was doing or where I was living when they were built e.g. student accomodation flat number, 1st car registration etc. Might be a bit overly sentimental, but it kind of makes your layout into a record of your life.

• Like 2

Many many moons ago I was watching the Manchester Model Railway Society's "Gransmoor Town" 2mm finescale layout at a show. 

​Completely dead-pan, a train of private owner wagons passed through, behind a lovely Midland loco.

"Pugh. Pugh. Barney. McGrew. Cuthbert. Dibble. Grub."

Now that's worthy...

Would that be these...?

post-14641-0-01963300-1526652369_thumb.jpg

Seen on a layout at TINGS 2015. The wagon running numbers would stand up to a 'number from the left'* order...

* Or is it 'number from the right'? Did/do sqaddies number from the direction from the SM's point of view or theirs?

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 9

Dammit, there goes my idea of a sexy scene in the sleeping car! it was going to be cam operated off one of the axles...

Ah. I well remember that night shift on Carlisle Station 20-odd years ago as the sleeper stood during crew changeover.

I remember the couple who thought they were behind one-way glass giving a very bold and not remotely shy performance.

If only they had known they had an audience of several amused station staff...

My PIN numbers are all based on favourite locomotives!! :locomotive: :D

Just out of interest what are your favourite locos?

Must be GWR ones because they (mostly) had 4-digit numbers...

American, mostly - also 4 digits :P 

Plenty to choose from/guess at!! :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Ah. I well remember that night shift on Carlisle Station 20-odd years ago as the sleeper stood during crew changeover.

I remember the couple who thought they were behind one-way glass giving a very bold and not remotely shy performance.

If only they had known they had an audience of several amused station staff...

Are you sure they didn't know?

I might have mentioned this before but I recall once seeing a demand responsive minibus service for airport workers at Birmingham Airport run by a Buster Werkenbak. I thought at the time he can't have been local. Then the penny dropped.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 4

When Banksy's "Dismaland" was on at Weston Super Mare, there was a fantastical 4mm scale city scene, at night in a darkened room with only the layout lights and the odd 4mm scale searchlight for illumination, a kind of near future "Police State" if you like, occupying a large area most modellers could only dream of and built to an extremely high standard (no railway content istr). Almost all of the thousands(?) of figures used were police in hi-vis gear. Although supposed to be dark and depressing, humour was to be found, such as a cow in a high window of a tower block, but my favourites were the scene where the motorway flyover had collapsed with dozens of Police cars had arrived (never seen so many blue flashing lights), and their occupants peering over the edge or standing around chatting. Excuse poor photos due to the darkness, but they give the idea of the size of the "layout" too;

post-28743-0-08892600-1526724061_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-87405500-1526724758_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-24596500-1526724861_thumb.jpg

(Apologies for last image being sideways, no I have no idea how that happened)

But probably my favourite was the "MacDonalds" drive-thru, where an articulated lorry had done just that, with bemused officers looking on.

post-28743-0-09076400-1526725211_thumb.jpg

Clearly in real life these could be extremely grave incidents, but in the context of the overall "nightmarish" thought provoking theme of the model they added "dark humour". As with most memorable layouts many things were noticed only by careful observation. I wonder what became of it, would hate to think it was broken up; the tower blocks in particular were superbly modelled.

When entering Dismaland (and being screened by "security" using a cardboard cutout "metal detector wand") all visitors were told not to enjoy themselves and not to look happy!

• Like 4

Those urban tableaux are stunning, the complete opposite of humour but equally the complete opposite of the cosy chocolate box Miss Marpleshire modelling usually witnessed at model exhibitions. On the Dolgellau model layout the Liverpool MRC placed two WPCs protecting the level crossing which gave me the idea of staging a car accident to justify their being there. It actually generates some interest, and gives me the chance to point out how differently road accidents were handled by rural police forces in the 1950s and 60s. Fortunately it having been a low speed accident there is no blood but it's something that engages with visitors, along with the camping coach, which most people have never heard of.

In another thread there was a debate about whether exhibitors should engage with visitors, and sometimes a funny little scene, or something quirky, can be the ideal icebreaker. Kings Oak's "Ghost of Meg" being filmed outside Crossroads chatting to "Jill Harvey" and "Adam Chance" whilst the director threw up his hands as another noisy Sprinter rattled past broke more ice than the whole Russian Arctic fleet.

The lad that worked for me (when I had a workshop),

said he went to school with a girl called Helen Bach!

I'm currently working on a model of a high-street shop that provides the services of one 'Helen Hye-Wotter: Marriage Counsellor'...

• Like 1

I posted a link to this layout sometime ago, Chinon st Jacque. It's packed with humour along with stunning scratch built buildings, here's the latest little story http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74784&start=5760

post-13564-0-14818700-1527149441_thumb.jpg

At 387 pages so far there's alot to go through, including a model of a house which appeared in a Jacque Tati film, Gaston Legaffe and much more. I posted this link in the french section but it certainly warrents posting here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114365-gare-de-chinon-st-jacques/

• Like 2

There was a small terminus station at an exhibition somewhere in Wiltshire a couple of years ago (I forget the name of the layout and where the exhibition was, apologies) where, amongst the more regularly garbed passengers on the platform was a figure in luridly-coloured shirt, jacket and trousers, holding a little red book...

Edited by talisman56