Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

7 hours ago, 7013 said:

Whenever I have had locos on rolling roads I notice that there is a slight wobble if the wheels are not seated precisely. I would be intersting to see if the wobble is as pronounced under normal running conditions.

Quick question: To those who have received locos from the latest batch. Did Hattons inform you by email that the loco had been posted?

Yes, emails for packing, posting and a link for the Post Office tracking. The emails from the Post Office to say they had the parcel, when it was being delivered (within a 1 hour slot) and lastly, one to say it had been delivered (which I knew!).

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Gosh that’s more than a few with a wobble,,

One thing that I don’t like with the Bachmann is the tension lock or air dam arrangement - a 66 looks totally wrong without air dam. I’ve experimented with a brass loop through the air dam and attach that but I’m not sure it’s the solution .

How does the hattons one look and function with their combined coupler air dam Combo ?

I agree it's probably the worst part of the Bachmann class 66. The hattons coupling/ air damn looks really convincing though. They have gone for a small cutout of the airdamn for the coupler to swing through giving the best of both worlds. So far it plays ball with all the wagons I've tried.

I've also contacted hattons about missing axle boxes and they have send out replacements no quibble.

Hi everyone, 

Although given the current circumstances, with my business shut and no income from it, I probably shouldn’t have ordered a new loco. However the last DCC fitted 66088 on Hattons website was too much to resist and the model matches the details of the real loco very well from photos I found online. I will add sound later as the sound models have clearly sold well and Bifs sounds for this are very impressive. It’s a shame to read about all the problems encountered by fellow forum members as there is a lot that looks good about this new model and last year when I had a good play with Bifs sample on my layout I found it to run very well and of course sounded excellent. 

cheers

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having read some of comments above it was with some trepidation that I opened the box for my Large Logo Cl.66 and removed the loco from the box. There was a smear of something on the roof of one of cabs which was quickly removed by a piece of tissue. Other than that all the axle box covers were present and correct.

Placed the loco on the programming track, set up the loco address, reset the sound level at 45 (as mentioned by others above) and then loaded it onto my Z21 and when that was done placed it on the track for its first run:

LargeLogoCl66-02.jpg.592d080a5aa6259d4649b7b2fbcdc8eb.jpg

and off it went on its inaugural run passing a somewhat overcrowded EMU depot:

LargeLogoCl66-03.jpg.0852c87ac3c91d5e5fdd17bfc0a1bb36.jpg

After a few circuits of the track pleased to advise the there was no sign of the loco wobbling and there were no missing axle box covers all of which made me a happy bunny.

Left the loco to toddle round the layout for about half an hour coupled up to a Stobart Mk.3 coach and then parked it up in the station area (yet to be built!) and turned on the parking lights:

LargeLogoCl66-04.jpg.bc328882bae772493952ff96676c89db.jpg

Also like the ability the turn off the rear lights on the rear of the loco when it is hauling a load.

The sound decoder and speakers installed top off a great model. Many thanks Hattons and Legomanbiffo.

Keith

• Like 4

Today's testing:

I contacted Hattons about the wobble. They said run it on for 30 mins each way. I'd already done that but giving it another blast, slightly quicker than last time.

It seemed to wobble less around the layout. About the same amount of wobble on the rolling road. 

This problem (in the video) happened when I first started it. I assumed it was because it was the very first run.

Same happened yesterday though. Today it was more of a delayed reaction.

It doesn't particularly like my curves but then I've banked them a little too much in some places.

The room is cool at around 10c - 12c for most of the time at the moment. It'll get up to 16c in summer. I did think perhaps this is what's causing it as during a running session I can start and stop it with no issues.

Another new problem is now it has started derailing on another curve.

I wonder if weight distribution over each bogie is causing this.

I'd rather these things cure themselves rather than have to send it back but will see how it goes after this hour of running in.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

When I had an AB problem, and reglued, the 'wobble' became exaggerated.

I removed the offending AB and it was perfect.

I then ensured that the alignment was as perfect as possible, and slightly increased the AB bogie side hole, and it was perfect.

It has been ever since.

Possibly a coincidence ...

Al.

It could well be that the tolerance between the bogie hole and moulded axlebox is too tight.

Any descrepancy in the casting of the hole or the moulding of the axlebox creates the problem so as atom did above by opening the hole out slightly cured the problem proving the tolerance is just too tight. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

When I had an AB problem, and reglued, the 'wobble' became exaggerated.

I removed the offending AB and it was perfect.

I then ensured that the alignment was as perfect as possible, and slightly increased the AB bogie side hole, and it was perfect.

It has been ever since.

Possibly a coincidence ...

Al.

Absolutely not a coincidence as far as I am concerned. I would also suggest that the majority of axle boxes that fall off were put on wonky to start with. Basically the weight of the loco causing them to eventually pop off as they rotate off centre.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I mentioned this observation immediately after having received mine and recognised this.

I have noticed Hattons have been very proactive generally, so let's hope that's all this 'problem' is and it has been resolved.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

I gave in today and ordered two. 756 and 789. Would have gone for 740 instead of 756 if it hadn't been for the missing nameplates and lighting error.

So long term I will have 4 of these with my fleet of 66s at 6.

Hopefully they will turn up in the right condition!

4 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

This problem (in the video) happened when I first started it. I assumed it was because it was the very first run.

The problem you refer to, is that the squeaking sound?

I got that in one direction on my Bachmann 90, and it was that the pickup was at a funny angle and scraping the wheel in one direction. A small adjustment and a dab of oil sorted it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I suggest a possible easy solution to the wobble-caused-by-axlebox issue? If the hole is too tight a fit around the rotating part, could one not easily ream out the hole a wee bit? 

• Agree 1

The above has been  illustrative of the problems with the exle boxes.  I wonder how many in receipt of the current locos will just end up cutting the caps off the plastic bushes and just glue them over the hole on the bogie. Kinda ruins one of the main features of this model touted as innovative (rotating axlebox covers) but I know I would forgo this rather than put up with poor running. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Very clear photographic presentation of the AB dilemma.

I mentioned this 3 months ago with mine, where I believed:

1. The problem was with the AB location.

2. The hole was too 'just right' for a moving part.

3. I removed a problematic one, slightly drilled out the hole and cured it.

4. AB purchase is insufficient - axles need to be longer and threaded or splined.

I would add that to avoid the AB being oversized, to permit this feature without a visible hole, perhaps a finer cast / stamped metal AB is required - this would permit a smaller OD, maintaining the ID the same - splined or threaded even. The side bogies could maintain holes the same diameter, thus with greater spacing away from the AB's.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

While we have been giving this model a bit of a hard time (I’m nowhere near brave enough to wade in either side of the fence) I’d like to show something positive. While attaching a new axle box I noticed that each wheel has 2 contacts. I think that’s a brilliant idea and should be the standard for contacts going forward since it makes electrical contact so much better and provides great redundancy. You can see from the image that it’s not even using any extra copper or requiring any additional wiring. It just simply splits an extra wide copper strip into 2 contact fingers.

Just thought this was a lovely piece of engineering that should be shared.

IMG_20200329_142343__01.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

It is shame regarding the axle boxes coming loose or the wobbling that’s been mentioned here, I really want to say this is great model for those that are reading this regularly and are thinking should I buy or not. Go on get one you won’t regret it. For the future, please Dave provide us with a highly detailed 66779 ‘Evening Star’ and the London Underground versions and what about Metronet too.  

This does probably explain why Hattons believe the 'wobble' for most locomotives will be resolved with running.

It may be some excess glue on the outside of the AB sleeve which fits over the nub of the axle, which is anticipated to 'wear off'?

Mine is now near-perfect - apart from the 'pinging steps' when the body's removed ... back to the 'too much detail' thing.

The model is absolutely superb.

'Glitches' aside, it is well worth it - the performance is superb as well - smoothness and prototypical load hauling.

Al.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

This does probably explain why Hattons believe the 'wobble' for most locomotives will be resolved with running.

It may be some excess glue on the outside of the AB sleeve which fits over the nub of the axle, which is anticipated to 'wear off'?

Mine is now near-perfect - apart from the 'pinging steps' when the body's removed ... back to the 'too much detail' thing.

The model is absolutely superb.

'Glitches' aside, it is well worth it - the performance is superb as well - smoothness and prototypical load hauling.

Al.

I decided to take all the AB sleeves off to see if my class 66 still wobbled. The model had run for about 3 ish hours so is still tight. The wobble was just the same with no AB sleeves as it was with them. I went further and removed the bogie frames, reseated the axles then reattached the sleeves. The wobble completely disappeared. This might show a slight assembly error that when fixed makes the model so much smoother.

NOTE: I have no idea what this will have done to my warranty, but it was a risk I was willing to take. Proceed at your own risk.

Edited by Br60066
Added Note
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1