Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Got my 66789 today and to be honest a bit underwhelmed- one nameplate at an odd angle which has been removed and reglued and an axlebox which has now been reglued twice. Notice the loco has a slight wobble which I wonder has been caused when the axlebox covers were pushed on has pushed the wheel set slightly out of Gauge. Will have time to evaluate properly at the weekend and at that point will decide whether to return for refund or not. At the moment though not buying another.

Bit gutted to be honest

cheers

mark

• Informative/Useful 4

Further to my earlier post regarding dropping the sound to a value of 66 to reduce the speaker distortion, after running it again it is still distorting but to a lesser degree. I've reduced it further to 45 and will see if it improves.

Meantime, it's a lovely model. Great lights and detail. 

I also have an axle box cover missing. 

Tim

1 hour ago, Markwj said:

Got my 66789 today and to be honest a bit underwhelmed- one nameplate at an odd angle which has been removed and reglued and an axlebox which has now been reglued twice. Notice the loco has a slight wobble which I wonder has been caused when the axlebox covers were pushed on has pushed the wheel set slightly out of Gauge. Will have time to evaluate properly at the weekend and at that point will decide whether to return for refund or not. At the moment though not buying another.

Bit gutted to be honest

cheers

mark

They seem to have major QC issues, don’t they ?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, rob D2 said:

They seem to have major QC issues, don’t they ?

I kind of think they are more niggles but I have paid a hell of a lot for this model in my opinion for it to have niggles.I am confident though should I decide to return for a refund hattons usually excellent customer service will sort it for me.

10 hours ago, Markwj said:

Bit gutted to be honest

cheers

mark

I have to agree with some of the comments above, I too received my 66789 and has a few niggles loose axlebox covers and a few other glue marks on the bogies,nothing that can't be fixed or covered with a little weathering. But overall the level of detail is quite stunning and as the sound fitted version is sold out I'm reluctant to return as I will not get a replacement. Overall I would give it a solid 8 out 10.

Edited by Craig85
Spelling mistakes

16 hours ago, Mel_H said:

From the video it certainly looks like it's the original 'incorrect' lighter orange - as was put on 66413 - that Hattons has used for its model of 66623, which in real life (as Chris says and photos show) is in the correct 'darker/stronger' orange.

Interestingly, as this photo shows, there are other differences in the application between the pair (and indeed their headlight styles, so you can't renumber 66623 to 66413 to make your model prototypically correct) - they are... Oh hang, on. You play spot the difference!

D47CkAAW0AA77VW.jpg

Stripes! I’d forgotten about them as well. Cheers for the pictures. The Bachmann one I did earlier on in the thread has the right stripes (I think!)

• Like 2

Interesting to read people’s comments about the various detailing bits. I guess it was inevitable with going for such a high specification that there would be issues. I’m pleased Hattons did but also sympathise with those who were probably looking for something more easy to use. When repainting Bachmann ones I used to knock off the various detailing bits so it’ll be interesting to see one of these ‘in the plastic’ later today. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I'm certain there are some fantastic modelling skills which can correct this.

I don't have this skill level, if it were me.

I would contact Hattons, show the photos, and basically push for a return / replacement.

You didn't pay for the extra glue, nor the missing AB - these can all be resolved I'm sure.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Just opened 66789 to find a dirty great glue mark on the roof, damage to the roof grill and a missing axle box. Has anyone found a way to remove the glue marks or is this looking like a return job?

My glue marks were not huge, but they did just rub off with a soft cloth.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

My 66756 looks and sounds great. It had shed an axle box (pun intended) but this was in the box so will be glued on in due course. 
Looking forward to giving it a light weathering but somewhat in awe of the fine details which will require a greater level of care with the paint brush. 
Something to keep me busy indoors at the present time. 

John

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Gutted I missed the sound models...

66783 in Biffa red, 66743 in GBRf/Royal Scotsman & 66746 in GBRf/Royal Scotsman all with sound are still available to order if you want one.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just a thought Charlie,is this lighting fault that the large headlight ones have,is it not something you could fix for those who want them right but dont want to meddle with the wizardry if they cross your palm with silver,keep you busy once me OO Common has a voice..........

As has been said, the fault is on the PCB with lights physically joined. Nothing DCC can fix.

Edit: or are you meaning a physical repair?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Im sure one guy here said he had fixed his but he was a electronics dude,its just for others who want them correct.

Just with Hattons saying they are not fixing them.

I think the problem is that these locos are so delicate that anybody who wishes to offer a service taking them apart and modifying the electrics has got to be extremely brave as bits are very likely fall off in doing so. Liability then becomes an issue.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just given mine a whirl.

One axle cover in the box. Another fell off after the first few movements.

All others fine so far.

Do I just blob a bit of superglue inside the axle box and slot it back on? Worried I'll try a repair and make it worse.

IMG_20200326_124005.jpg.cd468ea29a9e9f4fdea5d46dd600ff81.jpg

Cute cab light though.

As others have said, sound is very loud, so will be reducing the volume (but everyone should as the volume should match the environment).

It did have a problem with the front bogie getting stuck but after one round around the layout, was fine.

Mine wobbles as well.

Can't remember the cure for this.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Its there living taking these apart as Leggobiff did the sound function,if you check page 86 theres a Colas one a chap has fixed,right up Charlies street if they wanted electronics fixed.I was just trying to help if one wanted a professional job hes the kiddy.

Bif did the sounds to be blown onto the chip, I don't think he is in the business of actually taking them apart to fit.

Roy

4 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Just given mine a whirl.

One axel cover in the box. Another fell off after the first few movements.

All others fine so far.

IMG_20200326_124005.jpg.cd468ea29a9e9f4fdea5d46dd600ff81.jpg

Cute cab light.

Sound is very loud, so will be reducing the volume (but everyone should as the volume should match the room).

It did have a problem with the front bogie getting stuck but after one round around the layout, was fine.

Mine wobbles though.

Can't remember the cure for this though.

Looks good, the red is very different from Bachmann which always looks like they used the colour they were in 2005 when they started making them.

any chance of a picture of the side number and ‘ EWS ‘, I’d be interested in the ews typeface and if it’s been fixed 

58 minutes ago, classy52 said:

66783 in Biffa red, 66743 in GBRf/Royal Scotsman & 66746 in GBRf/Royal Scotsman all with sound are still available to order if you want one.

Aye but wrong liveries... thanks for heads up. Might need to wait but boat for 66789 has sailed.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Looks good, the red is very different from Bachmann which always looks like they used the colour they were in 2005 when they started making them.

any chance of a picture of the side number and ‘ EWS ‘, I’d be interested in the ews typeface and if it’s been fixed 

The red in that shot looks very different to how they are in the flesh. Funny thing is, I remember Toton open day in 1998 with 66003 through 66005 present , and I thought the Hatton's 66 looked spot on for a brand new 66.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Aye but wrong liveries... thanks for heads up. Might need to wait but boat for 66789 has sailed.

Yes for me as well, wanted 66789 with sound but I either underestimated the sales of this one with sound or Hattons did and simply didn't make enough which seems to be indicative across the range...who would have thought :scratchhead:

6 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

The red in that shot looks very different to how they are in the flesh. Funny thing is, I remember Toton open day in 1998 with 66003 through 66005 present , and I thought the Hatton's 66 looked spot on for a brand new 66.

Roy

Yes, I agree, the Bachmann shade is the “ dried blood “ of a few years in service. This is a Bachmann one, with a container painted railmatch EWS red, which seems the same.

CF41B19B-CE66-481E-8DF3-232FA460CC19.jpeg

On 26/03/2020 at 13:00, rob D2 said:

Here's some more photos.

Railway room (Bright white LED panel):

IMG_20200326_131130.jpg.186407410255e1557e4ca2824aa33dfb.jpg

IMG_20200326_131145.jpg.925cc356569a9d2d40b53de15335930d.jpg

Outside in the sun:

IMG_20200326_131303.jpg.eb58e3ab6c7c8a79afe12f8b3f6ecfe8.jpg

Outside in the shade:

IMG_20200326_131326.jpg.f3a173612da1b4125373b4b32404c61d.jpg

Haven't been over it with a toothpick but I haven't noticed any glue spots or anything. Only a slight gash in the yellow paint on the drivers cab steps (the right hand side in the photos).

Everything else seems in order.

Also, master volume of 66 seems good for me too.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2