Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

36 minutes ago, 7013 said:

There was a song by the great 1960s band Cream called ‘Born under a bad sign’, written by the Chicago blues man Albert King.

It goes....’If it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck at all’.
I am sure that is how Hattons are feeling at present? 

Wise man once said " You make your own luck!"

Its easier to solve problems at the start than retrospectively........

Whilst I know Covid-19 may have been an issue, knowing the problems with the CL 66, I am surprised Hattons hadn't wanted someone from their organisation (or someone independent in China due to Covid who they trust) on site to do spot checks, for a week or so when production started, to ensure things were ironed out and acceptable.

At the end of the day, if we put things in perspective - in China are beloved models are just a contract that ultimately makes them X amount of money for their ambitions (These guys are looking towards world domination via the South China Sea, and we are upset about a blob of glue, and wobbly axle box. We need to cut them some slack and stop being so damn selfish, and remember that have far more important things to think about!  Besides if the same person who puts the axle box cover on a Class 66, fits the propeller on a torpedo it will "hopefully" go round in circles!)

Regards,

C.

1 hour ago, maico said:

Other companies make class 66 locos

You'd think that having done pretty much 95% of the work for a HO one of the European makers of 66s would have had a go over here by now, when Bachmann had the best model with quite old tooling. ESUs version looks good, has been around a few years although I aren't sure it's available anymore. Wouldn't take much scaling up when you have something almost the same size.

Now Hattons are here with theirs I think the market wouldn't support it but you'd think it was almost an open goal.

Edited by TomScrut

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, maico said:

Other companies make class 66 locos. The Ho Marklin Trix ones are due shortly, I wonder if they have chosen fixed axle-boxes to avoid issues?

2bb8188a1db1cf27daab1cf0c4ca78ba1576047610.jpg

83a3eb2a0f33299e181deaa2e451c7401576047609.jpg

31 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

You'd think that having done pretty much 95% of the work for a HO one of the European makers of 66s would have had a go over here by now, when Bachmann had the best model with quite old tooling. ESUs version looks good, has been around a few years although I aren't sure it's available anymore. Wouldn't take much scaling up when you have something almost the same size.

Now Hattons are here with theirs I think the market wouldn't support it but you'd think it was almost an open goal.

The European 66's have quite a lot of differences to the UK versions Tom, so there would need to be new CADs drawn.  Upscaling CADS from 3.5mm to 4mm of the common parts would be the easy and cheap part.  They may also need to be modified to allow for differing assembly (possibly), new lighting and circuit board, then the full set of tooling for a 4mm 66 would have to be cut.

Current pricing of European models can make the eyes water of many a UK modeller, pricing for a 4mm 66 from one of these manufacturers would be pretty high, much higher than what we are used to.  That price would also need to factor in advertising, distribution, all sorts of taxes, with no guarantee of success, in a limited market.   I  don't think we would see much change out of £300 for one, and thats without sound.

THe ESU/Marklin ones dont appear to rotating axle boxes, they do have smoke units, which, frankly, look ridiculous.  They cost around 435 Euros with sound and smoke.

Edited by Half-full

5 minutes ago, Half-full said:

The European 66's have quite a lot of differences to the UK versions Tom, so there would need to be new CADs drawn.  Upscaling CADS from 3.5mm to 4mm of the common parts would be the easy and cheap part.  They may also need to be modified to allow for differing assembly (possibly), new lighting and circuit board, then the full set of tooling for a 4mm 66 would have to be cut.

Current pricing of European models can make the eyes water of many a UK modeller, pricing for a 4mm 66 from one of these manufacturers would be pretty high, much higher than what we are used to.  That price would also need to factor in advertising, distribution, all sorts of taxes, with no guarantee of success, in a limited market.   I  don't think we would see much change out of £300 for one, and thats without sound.

Marklin-Trix's standard range normally only come as DCC sound. They do cost more ,but all metal bodies and European made (Germany and Hungary) account for the price difference.

The older ESU seems to have conventional bogies

56 minutes ago, Half-full said:

The European 66's have quite a lot of differences to the UK versions Tom, so there would need to be new CADs drawn.

I know ones that went to EU originally have differences but I'd have thought the ones that went from here over there would be very similar. ESU do at least 2 ex UK locos you see, that was my thinking. The mods done to those, whilst I am am not familiar with them, aren't as extensive as the differences on EU native locos.

But yes they are dear!

3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

That train is “ smoking a fag !”

Hasn’t been done convincingly yet has it ?

I think part of the issue here is the scaling in terms of getting the fast moving gas to spread out like it does in real life rather than stream upwards like it does on that model. Some of it could be taken care of by some sort of nozzling but I think it would be something that won't be easy to achieve at 1:76 TBH. Likewise with steam.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think part of the issue here is the scaling in terms of getting the fast moving gas to spread out like it does in real life rather than stream upwards like it does on that model. Some of it could be taken care of by some sort of nozzling but I think it would be something that won't be easy to achieve at 1:76 TBH. Likewise with steam.

It might be a bit easier to replicate steam exhaust than diesel, albeit at the expense of putting the motor in the tender. That would allow space in the locomotive body for a mechanism driven by a cranked axle to push out the "steam and smoke" via a piston/cylinder arrangement.

Probably enough space in a diesel if there are two motored bogies rather than a centrally mounted motor. But the exhaust mechanism would probably need to be driven by a DCC chip to replicate starting loads etc.

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

It might be a bit easier to replicate steam exhaust than diesel, albeit at the expense of putting the motor in the tender. That would allow space in the locomotive body for a mechanism driven by a cranked axle to push out the "steam and smoke" via a piston/cylinder arrangement.

Probably enough space in a diesel if there are two motored bogies rather than a centrally mounted motor. But the exhaust mechanism would probably need to be driven by a DCC chip to replicate starting loads etc.

I think the issue would be to get the right effect as it left the exhaust that the viscosities of the gases would be the same but the scale wouldn't meaning the dispersion etc wouldn't be realistic regardless of how it was fired out of the exhaust.

• RMweb Gold

Just get someone to blow a vape at the loco as it passes

this is a vid taken by my dad of me passing longport with 66750 which was stone cold when I got to it, and hadn’t had a ‘clear out’ for over a month I of course gave it some leaving the loop too, it was clear by the time I got to Stoke station 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, big jim said:

this is a vid taken by my dad of me passing longport with 66750 which was stone cold when I got to it, and hadn’t had a ‘clear out’ for over a month I of course gave it some leaving the loop too, it was clear by the time I got to Stoke station 

Exactly, what I am getting at is the way the gases look like they are moving fast yet dispersing too rather than just being a stream.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, big jim said:

I can't see the axlebox ends rotating.....................

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I can't see the axlebox ends rotating.....................

must have left the direct brake on! 

joking apart being able to see them rotate is actually quite handy if your hauling a dead loco so you can see if the wheels are rotating properly, they are quite easy to see from the cab when looking back 

• Informative/Useful 2

On 27/06/2020 at 15:49, TomScrut said:

I know ones that went to EU originally have differences but I'd have thought the ones that went from here over there would be very similar. ESU do at least 2 ex UK locos you see, that was my thinking. The mods done to those, whilst I am am not familiar with them, aren't as extensive as the differences on EU native locos.

But yes they are dear!

Just wondering which ex uk 66's ESU produce?

23 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

Just wondering which ex uk 66's ESU produce?

66001 in DB and 66243 in Euro Cargo Rail

Although looking into it a bit more I think they are still UK locos, but 243 is adapted to work in the EU if necessary.

I incorrectly presumed with them being HO they were over there.

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/former-locomotives/engineering-edition/class-66-in-h0/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

66001 in DB and 66243 in Euro Cargo Rail

Although looking into it a bit more I think they are still UK locos, but 243 is adapted to work in the EU if necessary.

I incorrectly presumed with them being HO they were over there.

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/former-locomotives/engineering-edition/class-66-in-h0/

cheers for that

66001 is in the uk and 66243 is in france.

does anyone produce any of the euro 66s in OO?

6 hours ago, daz9284 said:

does anyone produce any of the euro 66s in OO?

Hattons have 66033 & 66218 available in Euro Cargo Rail (ex EWS) livery.  Bachmann also did their own version in Euro Cargo Rail (66062) quite some time ago as a limited edition for Model Rail Magazine.  Apart from that there are no other representations of Euro 66s, being either those of UK or EU origin.

cheers
Al