Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GEOEng03 said:

I've just brought two of the returns. Both FL examples.  DCC Ready @£100 and DCC Fitted @£115.  I'll report back on condition for others.  Looks like a daily occurrence of uploaded models, with a small handful of them around £100.  Will see how this goes. 

Cheers

Bryn 

if you look at the hattons site it says the latest 2nd hand items are uploaded at 17:30 daily Monday to Friday (not just 66s)

cue a scrummage at that time every night from now on as people try to grab a £100 bargain 66

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, YesTor said:

Some of us having been saying similar since last December...  only to be beaten down in flames... <_<

Something about 'humble pie', perhaps...?    :rolleyes:

Anyway, pleased for you that you finally have one of your own and are seemingly happy with it.

Al

Overall people never had any issue with the exceptional detailing and overall look of the Hattons 66 just with the poor QC, some livery errors, lighting faults (certain bug-eyed variant)  & poor execution of a new feature as in the rotating AB's and remember we were promised the ultimate 66 and in some ways Hattons have delivered but was overshadowed by the issues whether they bothered you or not.

Personally I've always wanted a few Hattons 66's but wasn't going to pay full money for the issues it was experiencing, especially when I normally only get sound fitted,  and what had been already extensively analyzed thus I held back and only this week decided to dip my toe in the water and get a pre-owned 66 and for £100 I'm not going to come on here to critique it further than it already has and yes it is a beautiful model but I knew that already.

Compared to most of you on here I'm only a newbie when it comes to modeling (haven't even built my first layout yet) thus I tread very carefully with new model rail products especially when people with a lot more knowledge than me publish reviews highlighting the issues or faults and from there I'll make a decision whether to buy or not and yes that was the case with the Hattons 66 so I didn't.

I think we can all agree that we sincerely hope Hattons address these issues and eliminate them in their second run if they do one, if the answer is yes then the accolades can drown out the negatives.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/10/2020 at 11:24, ayrmrg said:

Well I've just bought one from the Hattons pre owned list for £100. Needs some axle boxes re-glued and that's it. Absolute bargain for a cracking model. Sound fitting next.

Stephen

Let us know when: Charlie -Legomanbiffo.

As these bargains seem to be causing a rush on the new ESU MKL Decoders, another 100 just ordered from Germany.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

Let us know when: Charlie -Legomanbiffo.

As these bargains seem to be causing a rush on the new ESU MKL Decoders, another 100 just ordered from Germany.

DC Kits right?...I am also eyeing up your sound pack for my Cemex 66, plug 'n' play or is there soldering involved?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, classy52 said:

DC Kits right?...I am also eyeing up your sound pack for my Cemex 66, plug 'n' play or is there soldering involved?

Just need to solder the two wires for the speakers. That's it. There's a good video on you tube by Gowerton Parkway on how to fit the speaker.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, classy52 said:

Yes you need to solder the two wires from the EM2 Plug onto the Circuit board.

Quite simple to do, another 4 sent out yesterday. Could not understand the surge in demand, but an £100 for a superb model (With the odd little glitch) I now understand.

We as Realtrack Models understand the Chinese 'Non Sticky Glue Excuse', the 'We see no ploblem answer' reaction and the 'Should we put all the little bits in a bag' solution.

Hornby have the right idea:   Don't do much detailing but charge a high price !!  PPS = HST's

Charlie

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

20 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

I've just brought two of the returns. Both FL examples.  DCC Ready @£100 and DCC Fitted @£115.  I'll report back on condition for others.  Looks like a daily occurrence of uploaded models, with a small handful of them around £100.  Will see how this goes. 

Cheers

Bryn 

Well both mine have arrived today and have none of the marks suggested on them, which is a undersell on the part of Hatton's for sure.  They do have the slightest of wobbles (which cane be fixed as well all know and the cost saved, will buy another, but for reduced prices I paid, I'll buy more if suitable ones arrive on the used part of the site.   I think i say, if on the fence, go for it, if they come up at those prices again... 

It'll get expensive sound fitting these, so at least one has come chipped already :-) 

Cheers all

Bryn

• Like 2

In case any “bug eyed” (big headlight) Hattons 66 owners have not come across a way to correct the well known lighting error, my own saga with the loco is now documented at http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-66hattons-big-headlights/index.htm

It’s not too bad if you can extract the lighting boards from the chassis intact.

Good luck!

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

22 minutes ago, Martin-C said:

In case any “bug eyed” (big headlight) Hattons 66 owners have not come across a way to correct the well known lighting error, my own saga with the loco is now documented at http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-66hattons-big-headlights/index.htm

It’s not too bad if you can extract the lighting boards from the chassis intact.

Good luck!

Martin

Hi Martin 

Thanks for sharing that. Wow. That was some proper modification needed on your own model.  I would probably live with the missing lighting tbh, my finger are far to big and cumbersome. 

Cheers 

41 minutes ago, Martin-C said:

Good luck!

Martin

Ah so that's your website! I am often on there looking at the mods you have done, thanks for putting them on for everyone to see!

• Agree 3

I can echo previous comments on here about the speedy turnaround from Hattons' pre-owned department...ordered yesterday morning, picked & packed a few hours later and on my doorstep in Derby this morning with standard £4 delivery...superb!

F2961009-9EB2-43F8-BBF3-25AAA2C4962C.jpeg.7f797e0ab6f61ae006ee91b3b47a2646.jpeg

Regarding the issues, as reported there are no cab steps or handrails (both of which will be easily fixed, and I’ll make the pesky handrails chassis-mounted), and there is a minor glue mark on the body side above the number:

6817515F-9D71-4E06-9374-562D46837476.jpeg.f298c42141dae324295a529ecd9648b0.jpeg

Also some small black marks near the 3 beasties motif on one cab side:

4D6641B3-57E5-4378-B475-7B1978377BD4.jpeg.a2ccbd1e4791e82f8c407cc4e6591232.jpeg

Looks like the stag is trying to grow a beard.

Neither of these issues concern me much, and will both be hidden by renumbering and weathering. A slight wobble was reported in the description but we know the resolution(s) now. Also 2 buffers are askew/one popped out with little force. The sealed detail bag and box are mint.

I've yet to run it (need to fit Bif's V5 and EM2/Sugarcube combo) so I’ll save final judgement until I have, but I am seriously impressed by the model. Compared to a Bachmann offering, it's a monumental upgrade, which (unfortunately for Hattons) has been marred by random QC, livery and design issues. Hopefully future batches will address these niggles and provide the well-earned financial return Hattons deserve.

I originally had great expectations when the spec and scope of the models was announced, then slowly I became very sceptical when they were released. Having a few Bachmann examples, I could justify neither the price of a new Hattons one, nor the effort required to rectify any possible issues. However, recently (when looking into improving one of my Bachmann models) I was reminded of the extraordinary - IMO benchmark - spec of the model, which addressed numerous shortfalls of the Bachmann shed; one huge one for me being fully independent, prototypical lighting. This, along with Hattons' apparent realisation that they could sell returned/QC rejected versions as pre-owned, persuaded me to bite the bullet.

Would I be happy with this loco, described as new, had I spent £150? No.

Am I happy with this loco, described comprehensively as used, having spent £110? So far, absolutely!

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

(edit) Apart from the one above - I thought a fix for the bug-eye lighting fault was detailed a few months back?

Goes off to search, but if anyone can find it sooner, then please post the link here.

Ta.

Edited by newbryford

7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I thought a fix for the bug-eye lighting fault was detailed a few months back?

Goes off to search, but if anyone can find it sooner, then please post the link here.

Ta.

It was as I remember searching for it and tagging it a while back too so it is in here twice so to say.

There is also the link above if you haven't seen that.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It was as I remember searching for it and tagging it a while back too so it is in here twice so to say.

There is also the link above if you haven't seen that.

Yep - seen that. I've altered my post to clarify about an earlier fix which I think is different to Martin C's

edit - it appears to be very similar to Martin's detailed pictures

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Yep - seen that. I've altered my post to clarify about an earlier fix which I think is different to Martin C's

Found it (including a couple of posts below the linked one as well.)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have bought a couple of the cheap ones and one has a slight wobble and the other really rocks from side to side. Am going to cut out the axle boxes and also fit a dcc chip. What’s the story on getting the body off- any tips?

36 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Have bought a couple of the cheap ones and one has a slight wobble and the other really rocks from side to side. Am going to cut out the axle boxes and also fit a dcc chip. What’s the story on getting the body off- any tips?

There are a couple of YT videos which should give a few ideas.

Al.

33 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Thanks did a quick search but all I found were tedious reviews will try different search terms

cheers

Have a look at everard junctions video. He takes the body off showing where to be careful with the detail in the body.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve recently purchased a Hatton’s RHTT set and I’m now at a quandary as do I buy two Hatton’s EWS/DBC Class 66’s or go with a pair of Bachmann Class 66’s?

I feel I need to buy a matching pair for speed matching etc, and as they are going to be heavily weathered, I’m torn between Hatton’s and Bachmann but I feel a pair of second hand Bachmann 66’s would be easier to source and then weather.

53 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve recently purchased a Hatton’s RHTT set and I’m now at a quandary as do I buy two Hatton’s EWS/DBC Class 66’s or go with a pair of Bachmann Class 66’s?

Do they have to be 66s? Pretty much any class from this era has or continues to pull these trains.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Do they have to be 66s? Pretty much any class from this era has or continues to pull these trains.

Yes as I’m modelling loco’s that I’ve seen doing the RHTT working between Doncaster to Peterborough via Sleaford, Boston and Skegness.  The pictures of the RHTT train working through Heckington on my website.

• Like 1