Summer Saturdays Salisbury to Corfe Castle SWR

• RMweb Gold

B***** marvellous - apart from the fact that I work every Saturday.

Seems a strange routing, but we enthusiasts never mind that. But why does it take 55 mins, Salisbury - Gillingham?

Edit: I can't help wondering if this does not set a record for reversals during a journey.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

B***** marvellous - apart from the fact that I work every Saturday.

Seems a strange routing, but we enthusiasts never mind that. But why does it take 55 mins, Salisbury - Gillingham?

Edit: I can't help wondering if this does not set a record for reversals during a journey.

Departs Salisbury 0808, arrives Gillingham 0836 and then sits there until 0903.

• RMweb Gold

Departs Salisbury 0808, arrives Gillingham 0836 and then sits there until 0903.

It was either that - or a long wait on the loop at Tisbury. I had better warn the cafe operator to expect a surge on Saturday mornings.

• Like 2

It was either that - or a long wait on the loop at Tisbury. I had better warn the cafe operator to expect a surge on Saturday mornings.

If you looked at the linked timing its has a 4 min wait at Tisbury loop and 27 min at Gillingham.

• RMweb Gold

A very clever innovation and interesting that it changes from a 90mph Class 159 into a 75mph 455 ton loco hauled train  :O   I do hope that somebody will sort out the correct timings or maybe they just wanted something a bit slower for the return working (or couldn't find any 159 timings from Wareham?).

Now here's an interesting question - as it's an SWR advertised train are passes and Privs available?  (I suspect not).

• RMweb Gold

There weren't any 158/9 timings Bournemouth to Dorchester Jn as it runs on a dispensation so I assume that's the same here. I'll ask about passes next week as on leave at present but they accepted them to Weymouth before.

• RMweb Premium

4 reversals in one trip. More like a BLS trip than a public service. Surely on a Saturday a head on move via Romsey and Southampton could have been done?

Due to passenger demand most Saturday timetables are identical to weekday ones and the Southampton - Poole section is pretty busy.

The other thing that springs to mind is going this rather convoluted way round might be useful in respect of driver route knowledge for other reasons

• RMweb Gold

The railway needs more of this sort of innovation where it is feasible.

Phil

Absolutely Phil! How about Bridgnorth to Cheltenham via Kidderminster Worcester and Honeybourne. Just need to get the Broadway to Honeybourne section back in.

And given that its a bit of a main line backwater traction could be creative? Plenty on offer at both ends - or from Tyseley perhaps?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely Phil! How about Bridgnorth to Cheltenham via Kidderminster Worcester and Honeybourne. Just need to get the Broadway to Honeybourne section back in.

And given that its a bit of a main line backwater traction could be creative? Plenty on offer at both ends - or from Tyseley perhaps?

Phil

I reckon they could also 'come up' from Exeter (or Plymouth). Maybe just at weekends?

P

• RMweb Gold

4 reversals in one trip. More like a BLS trip than a public service. Surely on a Saturday a head on move via Romsey and Southampton could have been done?

Took me a moment to realise you meant Branch Line Society. I could not think of anywhere on the Bern Lotschberg Simplon where so many reversals would even be possible.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at Realtimetrains, it seems like all the Corfe Castle services linked in post 4 above ran more or less to time today.

There is some on going track work at Worgret Jn, the team down there are working hard to fix. There was/ still is worry it may not be completed with an ever increasing work load on the main lines. As I say, I hope it continues, but I am also aware there is concern that if all the works can not be completed then the service may end up being cut back. Fingers crossed not.

• RMweb Gold

Now here's an interesting question - as it's an SWR advertised train are passes and Privs available?  (I suspect not).

Staff have been told passes are valid as it is a WTT service and to tell guard to validate with Control if questioned :)

Edited by PaulRhB