sem34090

Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

The video has been taken down from MR's Facebook page as it is not a satisfactory running sample and was intended purely for static photography. I will mail a different sample to the photographer ASAP as I have two that are now well run-in. Indeed, today I have been running one with a 30-wagon train. (CJL)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is there a release date yet for these please Chris ?

30 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Is there a release date yet for these please Chris ?

No, we don't give release dates as it is impossible to know when models will be delivered in the current situation. We are currently reviewing livery samples and once these are revised where necessary and passed, we can Ok production but that doesn't necessarily mean it will start right away. Rapido currently has a formidable programme of its own which was delayed by the virus crisis in the early part of the year but which is now catching up. (CJL)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Here's a bit of my (very much amateur) video taken during some test running of two livery samples. I have since run both locos successfully with a 30-wagon train and the black one has gone in the mail so that Chris Nevard can re-shoot his video. (CJL)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

@dibber25 Now that the 16xx have reached the painted sample stage have the shedcodes been finalised for each locomotive that has one?

Thanks,

Samuel. 

1 hour ago, sc2016 said:

@dibber25 Now that the 16xx have reached the painted sample stage have the shedcodes been finalised for each locomotive that has one?

Thanks,

Samuel. 

As far as I know, they have. (CJL)

19 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Here's a bit of my (very much amateur) video taken during some test running of two livery samples. I have since run both locos successfully with a 30-wagon train and the black one has gone in the mail so that Chris Nevard can re-shoot his video. (CJL)

Nice! No doubt the model railway police will be visiting shortly......

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Nice layout Chris - tell us more please.

The green looks a little bit garish if it's based on the livery 7754 carried.

Looks closer to the Dapol N Gauge version than the Bachmann one. The real 7754 was nearer to the latter.

https://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/British-Industrial-Systems/i-zznSsxC/A

https://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/British-Industrial-Systems/i-VPmC8pV/A

Yes. I know it's fictional.   :)

Jason

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

The green looks a little bit garish if it's based on the livery 7754 carried.

Looks closer to the Dapol N Gauge version than the Bachmann one. The real 7754 was nearer to the latter.

https://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/British-Industrial-Systems/i-zznSsxC/A

https://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/British-Industrial-Systems/i-VPmC8pV/A

Yes. I know it's fictional.   :)

Jason

It's going to be toned down and revised, I believe. It's illegal to send paint to America and if you're sending swatches you're reliant on other people matching them. In fact, I have photos of 7754 and, bearing in mind that the real thing was very faded and discoloured, the green on the model is  a lot closer than it seems. However, the livery is fictitious, because a pannier in the condition that most of the NCB ones were, would not be very saleable. (Photographic evidence suggests that most remained in BR black with BR logos but in poor condition and with missing numberplates). The one black & white photo of 1607 that I've seen, currently being widely circulated on the internet, shows the loco apparently in green but very dilapidated, with missing handrails etc, and that would not be an acceptable way to present the model. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice layout Chris - tell us more please.

It's my layout at home, always in a state of flux and incomplete. The (Bolventor) station seen in the clips is the most recent revamp, using the Oxford Structures Moreton-in-Marsh building with a better roof and chimneys. The area at the end with the buses all parked up, was an airfield but has been stripped ready for some fresh scenic work. The other station (St. Petrock) has the SR station at Bishopstone as its main feature and needs renovating and completing. Round the outside of the whole thing is an 'HO' layout based on Canadian practice, of which the main feature is a model of the Kinsol trestle (the largest surviving wooden bridge in the Commonwealth) - it took 7 years on and off to build it and may contain as many as 7,000 individual pieces of balsa wood. It could possibly be one of the largest HO scale timber trestles in the World. (CJL)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dibber25 said:

It's my layout at home, always in a state of flux and incomplete. The (Bolventor) station seen in the clips is the most recent revamp, using the Oxford Structures Moreton-in-Marsh building with a better roof and chimneys. The area at the end with the buses all parked up, was an airfield but has been stripped ready for some fresh scenic work. The other station (St. Petrock) has the SR station at Bishopstone as its main feature and needs renovating and completing. Round the outside of the whole thing is an 'HO' layout based on Canadian practice, of which the main feature is a model of the Kinsol trestle (the largest surviving wooden bridge in the Commonwealth) - it took 7 years on and off to build it and may contain as many as 7,000 individual pieces of balsa wood. It could possibly be one of the largest HO scale timber trestles in the World. (CJL)

Thanks Chris. I've seen your mentions of it (them) in the magazine but not in so much detail. Always happy to read and see more!

Pictures of painted models in the latest Model Rail (fell through letter box today) - what is noticeable is how far the front tension lock projects and then the fact than the NEM pocket is protruding forward of the buffer beam. Looks like the rarely used No,17 will be needed by Kadee users and is an obvious model where a NEM 363 mount would be more appropriate (as used via ViTrains) although obviously in terms of Kadees it would be matter of trimming of plastic to fit, or using a third party adaptor.

Edited by Butler Henderson

5 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Pictures of painted models in the latest Model Rail (fell through letter box today) - what is noticeable is how far the front tension lock projects and then the fact than the NEM pocket is protruding forward of the buffer beam. Looks like the rarely used No,17 will be needed by Kadee users and is an obvious model where a NEM 363 mount would be more appropriate (as used via ViTrains) although obviously in terms of Kadees it would be matter of trimming of plastic to fit, or using a third party adaptor.

I think its already been covered that the NEM pocket was being fixed but featured on the decoration samples as they use the original EP model. 

47 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I think its already been covered that the NEM pocket was being fixed but featured on the decoration samples as they use the original EP model. 

Might have been useful if they had specifically stated that in the magazine. It does refer to work to correct minor issues .

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Might have been useful if they had specifically stated that in the magazine. It does refer to work to correct minor issues .

That was an assumption made by someone posting on RMweb. The livery samples are not EPs, they are pre-production models and the minor issues relate to livery.  (CJL)

Apologies if I was wrong but that's happened in the past where the original first sample models were used for the decoration models while the tooling was being tweaked to address issues. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day we all want the best possible model for the price.

43 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

At the end of the day we all want the best possible model for the price.

That's what we're aiming for. Moving the coupler mount would have involved major redesign of the cast chassis block and the cost would have scuppered the project. My personal view - and I stress that it is just my view -  is that anyone with major concerns about the front end appearance of any loco will be using a scale screw coupling anyway. I've sent one of the two samples I had (and had given a thorough running-in) to the photographer and he has prepared a new video clip which will hopefully be on the Model Rail FB page before too long. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1