Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

Given that these were seen over virtually the whole of the Western Region (and then parts of the LM region and the Dornoch branch in Scotland), I'd have said that they would be entirely suitable.

Riverside wharves tended to be pretty lightly built, hence the question. If they could be used in such an environment I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a reference.

Looking forward to an answer, and then a review of the model!

• RMweb Gold

Its great news that someone has decided to make a model of these pocket panniers. However what am I going to do with this!

post-7653-0-94458400-1528576606_thumb.jpg

I was going to put a 3d model on top of a brass chassis, as I thought no one would do a 16xx until the end of the next ice age.  How wrong I was!

Riverside wharves tended to be pretty lightly built, hence the question. If they could be used in such an environment I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a reference.

Looking forward to an answer, and then a review of the model!

The very similar 2021s were used on Birkenhead Docks. I think that 16XXs worked there as well, but I can't come up with a definite source.

Jason

Its great news that someone has decided to make a model of these pocket panniers. However what am I going to do with this!

attachicon.gifIMG_0238.JPG

I was going to put a 3d model on top of a brass chassis, as I thought no one would do a 16xx until the end of the next ice age.  How wrong I was!

You may as well finish it. :)

Jason

The very similar 2021s were used on Birkenhead Docks. I think that 16XXs worked there as well, but I can't come up with a definite source.

Jason

The last two 850/1901s - 2008 & 2012 (withdrawn 1958) and the last 2021 - 2069 (withdrawn Apr 1959) were at 6C, Birkenhead, but according to longworth no 1600s were ever there.

Chris KT

The 16xx is a BR not GWR a loco.

Gordon A

Only just, and with a very long heritage. The lines they ran on (amongst others) were ex GWR ;)

I'd like one for the ex CMR lines, they are the quintessential engine for lightly laid 1950s china clay lines - Meledor, Retew etc etc

• RMweb Gold

Well, I think they were the lightest of the pannier classes, so apart from specific dock locations such as Weymouth Docks, where the 1369 type were used, I'd say they should be OK for other lightly laid locations. They certainly worked in Lydney Docks, for example.

• Like 1

Well, I think they were the lightest of the pannier classes, so apart from specific dock locations such as Weymouth Docks, where the 1369 type were used, I'd say they should be OK for other lightly laid locations. They certainly worked in Lydney Docks, for example.

They certainly worked around the dock lines at Llanelli and Burry Port; even if the docks themselves were no longer in commercial use, there were still industries using rail around them.

• Like 1

I saw the 16XX's on the so-called 'top line', the GCR route between Wrexham and Chester etc. The stationmaster/porter was the sole employee on Wrexham Exchange station in 1963 and he suggested I sit in his office out of the heat. I needed a cool down after spending much of the day at Croes Newydd. The peace was broken by one of the 16XX's on a freight heading towards Shotton High. For some reason these little engines with their small driving wheels have lingered in my memory when larger Pannier sightings have not. I hope this initiative by Model Rail pays dividends.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

On axle load they are about the same as a loaded 21T coal wagon, so no problems with access on that count.

The minimum curve is 4 chains normal speed or 3.5 chains dead slow, the same as a 74xx. A 15xx was 3.5 chains and a 1366 could go round 2 chains.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

I saw the 16XX's on the so-called 'top line', the GCR route between Wrexham and Chester etc. The stationmaster/porter was the sole employee on Wrexham Exchange station in 1963 and he suggested I sit in his office out of the heat. I needed a cool down after spending much of the day at Croes Newydd. The peace was broken by one of the 16XX's on a freight heading towards Shotton High. For some reason these little engines with their small driving wheels have lingered in my memory when larger Pannier sightings have not. I hope this initiative by Model Rail pays dividends.

I believe they were used on the former GCR Buckley Railway (which I should say in passing is a very interesting prototype providing you don't mind goods only.) The Buckley Railway had very tight clearances and only very small engines could get up there. (For example, J62, J63, J72 and 16xx.)

If the 16xx happened in 7mm I'd be very tempted. Delightful little machines.

• Like 2

I believe they were used on the former GCR Buckley Railway (which I should say in passing is a very interesting prototype providing you don't mind goods only.) The Buckley Railway had very tight clearances and only very small engines could get up there. (For example, J62, J63, J72 and 16xx.)

If the 16xx happened in 7mm I'd be very tempted. Delightful little machines.

That's a coincidence as I passed another at Buckley. I wonder if a bit of alteration would produce one of the old Panniers....

That's a coincidence as I passed another at Buckley. I wonder if a bit of alteration would produce one of the old Panniers....

Looking at my drawings, although the wheelbase is the same, and the overall dimensions similar (the 1600 is 2 inches longer at the front than the 2021s) in practice almost everything about the two engines is subtly different. Even the pannier tanks are different - the 16s are a fair bit deeper by the looks of things. I think you'd struggle to use any of a 1600 body moulding on a model of a 2021 unless you were prepared to accept a lot of compromise. Having said that a revised footplate valance and replacement cab and bunker would give an impression at a distance. Edited by JimC

• RMweb Gold

An observation after reading The Pannier Papers No.5 on the 16xx.

Spare lamp irons.

1600-1619 two in the forward position with some getting a third added later.

1620-1649  three in the rear position.

1650-1669  three in the forward position.

Why did the position go from front to rear and back again ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Spare lamp irons.

Different Foremen in the erecting bays?  Although in reality it's probably more likely that 'someone' issued a different drawing for the second lot for some reason and then a third drawing was used for the final lot - possibly a complaint had been made about the awkward placing of the spare lamp irons on the first batch so the rear position was adopted on the following batch but maybe found to be even more of a nuisance.  The reasons for these sort of minor changes might lurk in some surviving correspondence file but in all likelihood it has probably long vanished.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spare lamp irons.

Irwell Press believe that it was done to confound the model railway enthusiasts of the future.

• Like 2