2 hours ago, Gopher said:

I'll third, fourth and fifth that - brilliant job on both wagons very tempted by the Loriot

But I was going to fourth it...:P

In all seriousness, though, I think your wagons look great! I haven't been sure how I felt about 3D printed wagons for a long time, but yours really make me want to try a couple!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, KNP said:

Excellent work, very tempted with the PW Brake...

Thank you, high praise indeed especially coming from yourself considering Little Muddle was, is and continues to provide the inspiration

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'll second that. It's been fascinating to see these wagons progress from an idea to reality.

Thank you, progress is usually slow and can be quite annoying but I try and leave 24hrs between paint coats (more so withthe primer coats)

3 hours ago, Gopher said:

I'll third, fourth and fifth that - brilliant job on both wagons very tempted by the Loriot

Thank you, I chose the Loriot L because I quite liked the elegant sweeping curves and Also because it’s not available as a RTR or a kit

1 hour ago, TrainMan2001 said:

But I was going to fourth it...:P

In all seriousness, though, I think your wagons look great! I haven't been sure how I felt about 3D printed wagons for a long time, but yours really make me want to try a couple!

Thank you, They can prove challenging but I try to preempt any potential problems during the drawing stage.

The main two issues are the fact that the material can be quite delicate, especially on thin areas and the striation lines formed by the printing process.

I generally use an automotive filler primer first followed by sanding then repeating until I get it as smooth as possible, then a base coat primer and more sanding if required (using a fibreglass pencil works well in sanding difficult to reach areas)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 01/09/2020 at 18:27, chuffinghell said:

I loaded up my airbrush with a grey darker than I originally planned

Fantastic job on both the loriot and the load. They look the part especially when sited as you have done.

Just out of interest what paints do you use please? I had terrible trouble last night when trying to spray my cattle wagons with railmatch and could only manage four of them before having to completely strip the brush down due to blockages.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Fantastic job on both the loriot and the load. They look the part especially when sited as you have done.

Just out of interest what paints do you use please? I had terrible trouble last night when trying to spray my cattle wagons with railmatch and could only manage four of them before having to completely strip the brush down due to blockages.

Thank you

I use Vallejo ‘Model Air’ acrylics mostly because I can use them straight out of the bottle

For the weathering I use Railmatch acrylic but I’ve still not worked out the perfect thinner to paint ratio

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I found that what used to be known as "Panzer grey" , Humbrol no:67 was almost indiscernible from GWR freight grey once varnished and used that years ago when I couldn't get hold of railmatch. I suspect that the Vallejo is identical judging by the photos on here.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For both the Brake van and Loriot I used Vallejo RLM42 Dark Grey 71.123 (Panzer grey 71.056 is similar)

It looks really dark at first but I've found it lightens up once the matt varnish goes on (but that might be because I put too much on?)

If you want something lighter there is Medium Gunship Grey 71.097

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 3

56 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Thank you MrWolf. I really like the Vallejo paints @Mikkel first got me hooked when I was painting up some GWR red wagons for a commission job. I dont have a shop nearby that stocks them so have to rely on computer representation of the colours.  

I could put up a photo later on of a railmatch painted wagon alongside a Humbrol painted wagon if that helps, but you're still looking at it via a computer screen. That said, any difference in colour should be noticeable.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I found that what used to be known as "Panzer grey" , Humbrol no:67 was almost indiscernible from GWR freight grey once varnished and used that years ago when I couldn't get hold of railmatch. I suspect that the Vallejo is identical judging by the photos on here.

If you compare Humbrol 67 with the Phoenix Precision GWR Freight Grey which is supposed to be an accurate match to the real thing, you'll find H67 is lighter. However, this is not a Bad Thing. :) H67 is a great alternative colour, if you look through Atkins et al, you'll see there are lighter shades of grey that match it nicely (probably different works doing the painting), especially easy to see on opens with the black chalk panel paint on the top right of the wagon. There's a clear definition of the black and grey which comes out nicely using H67 as the main grey on a model. The PP grey is dark enough to make the black hard to discern.

This sort of answers Matt's query too, don't get too hung up on precise matching of the grey. Slight variations are good. :)

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Forgot I also did this for my own reference when painting:

RIMG0788.JPG.a48c56be5e2c7141eaf8d2731c199413.JPG

That's very useful!

I did something similar, I bought five different shades of grey from the Vallejo Model Air range and made colour swatches by spraying each shade on a piece of plasticard followed by a coat of Vallejo matt varnish and compared them to my Bachmann rolling stock

However I found there are even colour variations between the different Bachmann wagons so in the end I went for RLM42 Dark Grey and ran with it

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

I use Vallejo paints starting with London Grey and then varying with Black Grey or Light Grey depending on tone needed.
Sometimes I even mix the shades on individual planks to get an uneven worn look.

Not one of my wagons are the same shade and when mixing I have a relaxed approach to mix quantity to bring in further contrast.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ve decided I need to turn my attention back to the layout, otherwise it will never get done

Stupidity I’ve been using the traverser/fiddleyard as an additional work space so it was looking a little untidy due to various spillages of paint/glue/weathering powder spoiling the finish :blush:

1BCC06C2-1B31-4F0C-B747-4E4681FC72BE.jpeg.fe5ac598604e2e2f8d909e1eb8b52ba4.jpeg

CC96D37D-76F3-4556-B37D-CD9C3457F7E0.jpeg.d31fbf853d1ec66fb830a6ff083c8f72.jpeg

It looks a bit rough at the moment but hopefully once sanded a little and a top coat put on it will look nearly as good as it was when I first built it

I've also painted the end of the board so it looks tidy when the end section is removed

7B3B747D-A8D9-49D9-B1C1-D29655ECC64F.jpeg.cbbdc55e1a2e816840aa68ba98171044.jpeg

I really need to stop messing about with rolling stock and pull my finger out

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Well it looks better than it did this morning

7A2F6C82-69A4-40B5-BAF9-F75D8AD27CC1.jpeg.c4bcf52fe226c8282041543282e15968.jpeg

22D8F02B-F2B8-4866-9E5B-1D3DE6340132.jpeg.f4d31fb03f216f71f4d17e4f3e7e5e7f.jpeg

I should get six tracks on there comfortably or possibly seven

I wish I’d made it differently to be honest but it is what it is

The grey has been painted on just the non-scenic area, hopefully it will make more sense as I progress

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

It’s just occurred to me that if I reduce the number of tracks to five there would be enough space between them to use Peco loco lifts which would make moving locos around a lot easier and maybe a little safer

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1