Web site help required

DJM Dave

I'm hoping that with some gentle persuasion the IT guy will do the right thing and hand over the files and passwords. It sounds like it's all ready to go and it's not like he can sell the product elsewhere. Fingers crossed for you Dave

• RMweb Gold

On the plus side Dave, it looks like someone has renewed your domain registration at last (as has been pointed out by others, this appeared to have expired until now).

Domain name:
djmodels.co.uk

Registered on: 11-Jul-2013
Expiry date: 11-Jul-2019
Last updated: 05-Aug-2018

That's a positive sign

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

How convenient!

Don't RM ask for recipient to print and sign?

Another long-shot thought, do Trading Standards/OFT and/or local constabulary have a heads up on this rogue? You might not be the only one Dave.

Forget print and sign.  That went out with paper receipts.

Royal Mail use a portable hand-held device, which, as someone who has signed for over 100 packets, I find very difficult to make any kind of intelligible mark on- the end of your finger on a screen 4inches by four or thereabouts isn't conducive to clarity. The postman should type in the name but that doesn't always correspond to the person who signed- especially if you don't TELL the postman you aren't the name he has just typed in....

Les

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Gold

Ive found some delivery guys, just sign the name they find on the letter into the handhelds themselves and claim it to be delivered...

I’ve decided to upgrade my doorbell to one with a camera to mitigate against these kinds of incidents.

• Like 1

Well the update is that due to some great detective work, (thank you, you know who you are), the web guy was traced, he contacted me and i think its going live tonight.

Now, before we all get excited, there are a couple for pages i need to get put on there, and although it really needed testing, i hope you'll all bear with the look, and info available which i'll add as i go over the next week or so.

I hope to be sending out the mail with the new link on, Friday to all crowdfunders who paid.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys. Fingers crossed i can start moving forward again properly now.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Forget print and sign.  That went out with paper receipts.

Royal Mail use a portable hand-held device, which, as someone who has signed for over 100 packets, I find very difficult to make any kind of intelligible mark on- the end of your finger on a screen 4inches by four or thereabouts isn't conducive to clarity. The postman should type in the name but that doesn't always correspond to the person who signed- especially if you don't TELL the postman you aren't the name he has just typed in....

Les

PDA's with a stylus allow for print and sign, progress though? Our old Parcel Force warehouse was highly efficient and gave a good service all with pen and paper, they went to PDAs and lost up to 15 drops per van per day and were shut down due to inefficiency! Nearest depots? Bristol or Newbury Progress?!

That sounds like my plumber. . . expect it in December . with a drip somewhere.

and waiting for a white goods delivery..... sometime on Wednesday, but really they mean thursday...... or friday...............or or or. lol

• RMweb Gold

I’m pleased it all looks to be sorting out - looking forward to ordering at least one King and hopefully more locos as soon as they are produced.

The thought of higher quality models is what has enabled me to focus on N gauge / 2FS and if it’s in the same league as the bachfar castle I’ll be very happy

I can’t help but think with all these twists and turns, sheer bad luck of poor contractors etc that if the man behind this firm wasn’t a “known” face as in from Dapol previously a lot of people would have called the firm out as a chancing cowboy months ago.

Projects launched then dropped, significant periods of time with no information, some might say to much information of the latest drama etc.

It all seems like we’re asking a mate to knock up some Go karts for us not several hundred pounds worth ot model trains, all very matey with “lol” and banter, would we see the big boys communicate with their customers in such a way?

We pull Bachman and Hornby to bits when they late deliver, or take years to deliver a product but this firm seems to get continued good will and understanding.

Any idea where the 63XX in N is, the O gauge range etc ?

I know that one product pays for another etc, that’s fair enough but why keep diving into “if you pay for it, I’ll produce it at no risk to me” models when you initially set out a commendable stall to product three models on three scales before announcing yet more ?

• RMweb Gold

I can’t help but think with all these twists and turns, sheer bad luck of poor contractors etc that if the man behind this firm wasn’t a “known” face as in from Dapol previously a lot of people would have called the firm out as a chancing cowboy months ago.

Projects launched then dropped, significant periods of time with no information, some might say to much information of the latest drama etc.

It all seems like we’re asking a mate to knock up some Go karts for us not several hundred pounds worth ot model trains, all very matey with “lol” and banter, would we see the big boys communicate with their customers in such a way?

We pull Bachman and Hornby to bits when they late deliver, or take years to deliver a product but this firm seems to get continued good will and understanding.

I know that one product pays for another etc, that’s fair enough but why keep diving into “if you pay for it, I’ll produce it at no risk to me” models when you initially set out a commendable stall to product three models on three scales before announcing yet more ?

I'm not sure I'd put it all exactly like that, (and DJM have already produced some excellent models, so do have some achievements to point to) but having business dramas played out on a public forum just seems so unprofessional, and if a company appears unprofessional in one area, it tends to make you think twice about other parts of their business. I have no doubts about about DJM's ability to design models, it's the rest of the company's processes that I now have slight doubts about.

I have 4 Black DJM Mermaids and will buy more in Olive Green and Gulf Red not to mention several Sharks when they're produced, and I also responded to the request to pay up front for the now aborted Clayton (and received a prompt refund), but I doubt I'd pay in advance for anything from DJM at the moment.

Edited by melmoth

I think that's all a bit harsh. AFAICT DJ was asking for help from anyone in the know as far as IT is concerned. DJ is a one man band and we are all ignorant to something. DJ has also put his money where his mouth is. Being a good businessman, knowledgeable about railways, knowledgeable about model railways, manufacturing processes etc etc, requires, as a one man band, superman status. Could you do that and do you have the sphericals to do that? Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

I think that's all a bit harsh. AFAICT DJ was asking for help from anyone in the know as far as IT is concerned. DJ is a one man band and we are all ignorant to something. DJ has also put his money where his mouth is. Being a good businessman, knowledgeable about railways, knowledgeable about model railways, manufacturing processes etc etc, requires, as a one man band, superman status. Could you do that and have spherical s to do that?

Dave did indeed initially put his money where his mouth is, but lately, have you noticed it's largely the customer's money ... APT, HUO, King, class 92 ...

Dave did indeed initially put his money where his mouth is, but lately, have you noticed it's largely the customer's money ... APT, HUO, King, class 92 ...

I don't follow the smaller scales all that closely as there's way too much 'a bitchin and a whinging' as far as product/manufacturer forums are concerned but havent LLC sought hybrid crowd funding type arrangements too? Its becoming more and more the norm. Also in the larger scales many cottage industry manufacturers and customers become friends over time... Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

We? 

I can't say I have ever pulled Bachmann or Hornby to bits when delivery times slip.

However, I did raise an eyebrow at someone who complained bitterly on a newsgroup that he would never buy the (then) brand new Ivatt 4MT because he had measured to the top of the chimney from the rail height, and it was 1mm too long compared with official drawings. (I kid you not). 

Edited by jonny777

It does appear the chap can do no wrong, almost attaining walking on water status among some.

If anyone think one person can run an enterprise like this with some of the most demanding customer base known to man you need to seek mental health assistance.

The chaps at Minerva seem to be doing it better, produce one model then on to the next with their own money as well.

They don’t engage in this kind of open season airing of their business and keep their views to fhemselves, anyone remember the almost playground “mine will be better than theirs” cry’s with the Class 92 and the other firm doing on to ?

There always seems to announcement of an announcement, hopes and maybes at news on XYZ project “next week” etc.

It all seems so hype them up to keep them interested, but it’s having the opposite effect people are being tired of this approach, tried of having to be refunded then reorder via a new ordering method. It seems rushed, muddled approach to a knife edge business.

This sounds like one big go at the chap, but believe it or not I actually want to see the models DJM has promised I would even be interested in a few OO class 92s, but I’ve no idea what’s what with dozens of projects.

We? 

I can't say I have ever pulled Bachmann or Hornby to bits when delivery times slip.

However, I did raise an eyebrow at someone who complained bitterly on a newsgroup that he would never buy the (then) brand new Ivatt 4MT because he had measured to the top of the chimney from the rail height, and it was 1mm too long compared with official drawings. (I kid you not).

We, as in the model railway community.

• RMweb Gold

We?

Had it been the correct height he would have quite happily run it on track which is a shade over 2mm too narrow.
  • Like 2