Customer behaviour

ianmacc

• RMweb Premium

I cannot help but feel that in this day and age there is always someone looking for sexism or racism or one of the many other isms when none is intended or even implied.  Even the truth is no longer permitted if in someone's view it may possibly offend some group or other.

DT

• RMweb Gold

I didn’t explain the context. This was patronising the female by assuming they couldn’t possibly own the shop as they were a young woman.

I wouldn't say it was patronising.

If you had to place a bet on whether the owner of a model shop was going to be someone who possibly turned their hobby into a business with its shop lease and associated costs, I'd say the majority would not think it to be a young woman rather a middle aged man. I'd also say the statistics would back this up.

I wouldn't say it was patronising.

If you had to place a bet on whether the owner of a model shop was going to be someone who possibly turned their hobby into a business with its shop lease and associated costs, I'd say the majority would not think it to be a young woman rather a middle aged man. I'd also say the statistics would back this up.

But why should anyone's reaction, to being told that the shop does not purchase second hand items any longer, have to depend on a statistical judgement over whether they are being spoken to by the manager or not?

That seems to me to be a pretty clear statement in the first place. Why would hearing it again from the boss make any difference?

I believe it is subtly arrogant, sexist, ageist, and patronising because it assumes that young women are unlikely to know what they are talking about; a problem that never occurs with middle aged men. 

• RMweb Gold

I remember talking to a female manager some years ago. She said that for women the problem was the 'glass ceiling' within the workplace . . I guess it's difficult for them to clean it...

I'll just leave that one here and get me coat.

• Like 3

In the shop I frequent most these days I've seen people trying to get a discount on items already at a similar price to Hattons/Rails. 

On one occasion I got fed up of one individual keep saying it was cheaper in Hattons even though the prices were the same as or only £1 or £2 more so in the end I told him to go to Hattons. 

• Like 2

Like so many walks of life, this hobby seems to bring out the worst in some folk, the best in others.

I was brought up to be polite and I really believe there is no excuse for bad manners.

Good manners cost nothing and can win you more favours than any amount of bad manners, language, abuse ever can.

John.

• Like 1

Well, I have read all the replies and agree with many. My experience on one holiday in Devon with two shops on the same day was appalling. Shop 1 practically accused me of stealing even though I had bought £60+ of wagons the day before. I was very upset at this and when he found the "stolen" items with his assistant on the counter just slid out to the back of the shop with no apology. Shop 2, which I had dealt with by post, told me to shift my car off the car park to the side in case anyone else needed to park. There was enough room for 3 other cars to park next to me. I made a special journey to that shop of around 30 miles each way. With that I shifted my car and drove off and have never dealt with them since. It is not always nasty customers but two shops on the same day was just too much for me. Maybe I should have just got nasty????

• RMweb Gold

In the shop I frequent most these days I've seen people trying to get a discount on items already at a similar price to Hattons/Rails. 

On one occasion I got fed up of one individual keep saying it was cheaper in Hattons even though the prices were the same as or only £1 or £2 more so in the end I told him to go to Hattons. 

Interesting to imagine someone with the attitude described in the first post deciding to go to Hattons - only to discover that the head of the firm is - Christine Hatton!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Such attitudes, of course, apply everywhere and they remind me of the days when I used to work in a 'public-facing' job on the railways.

Every now and then, some over-blown so-called 'important person' would turn up, usually when there was some crisis, delay or other problem taking place, demand to see the 'person in charge' and usually the phrase, 'do you know who I am' would get used.

If the demand to see the 'person in charge' wasn't enough to make me lose interest, the second almost definitely was, with the result that they would receive their 'basic entitlement' of 'customer service', rather than me going the 'extra mile', which I have done on many occasions for more deserving cases.

• Like 7

Such attitudes, of course, apply everywhere and they remind me of the days when I used to work in a 'public-facing' job on the railways.

Every now and then, some over-blown so-called 'important person' would turn up, usually when there was some crisis, delay or other problem taking place, demand to see the 'person in charge' and usually the phrase, 'do you know who I am' would get used.

I did once hear about an airline check-in clerk in I think Australia whose response to "Do you know who I am" was to loudly call to the queue getting increasingly impatient while he wasted time trying to get an upgrade "There's a poor bloke here who doesn't know who he is, can anyone help him?"

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 5

I worked for a retailer selling photographic equipment  late 60's early 70's. We had a roaring trade in second hand equipment, then along came VAT. It was the straw that broke the camels back.

We quite often on this platform recommend selling on various websites, as traders often offer very low prices. Looking from the other side of the counter the starting point is how much will it sell for, 20% goes to the tax man in a sales tax, then overheads, cost of the gtee and profits must be deducted, thats why what they offer is so low

It happens to my Female staff on occasion, though thankfully it’s not a common occurrence.

Many of my customers like having ladies behind the counter.

The thing is, my staff know their way around the shop, and are great with customers, but thankfully don’t get caught up all day talking about trains! (Though it does sometimes happen!)

What I tend to have a problem with, is ageism.

Some of my crew, including managers, are quite young.

They are often on the receiving end of bad manners because they are perceived to be unimportant.

It does make me chuckle when someone demands to speak to my manager though!

If they are particularly unpleasant, I usually say “ if you want to speak to a higher power, I suggest you go and find a church!”

Young friendly sales staff in a model train shop, throw a sofa in the corner and some beers in a fridge, I doubt the place would ever be empty!

I had one of these not long ago. We were in disruption, and had a number of delays and cancellations.

I was told to get on the phone to my superiors and tell them who I was dealing with.

When I said 'Who am I dealing with?', the answer was 'I'm not telling you, you don't catch me like that!'  :scratchhead:

Unfortunately a similar story happened to my girlfriend working in the store, verbally abused and something thrown at her, worst part was he part of local club.

One quick chat with the chairman of said club and said person is no longer part of the club.

Sad to say it happens, people think by raising their voices and pointing they might get their own way. ( normally couple times a year ? )

We still buy pre-owned if it helps .....

The photographic retailer where I worked was around the corner from the head office, the chairman (who was also the majority shareholder) worked every saturday morning in his office and twice a month came in and acted as a salesman for a couple of hours around lunch time. When he politely refused to give a discount, the customer asked to see the manager, said chairman (acting as a salesman) duly complied and explained the problem to the manager, who backed up his salesman's decision. Obviously speaking to the chairman/owner was not good enough

I must say the chairman was always respectful to his managers position, all he (Chairman) wanted to see was how well his company was working and see the coalface problems first handed. At the same time the chief buyer worked every Saturday afternoon at another shop incognito as he was interested in seeing how well the new stock was selling and being recieved. At the time this company was one of the fastest growing companies and is one of the larger high street PLC's.

Its a great pity modern day executives hide away in their offices oblivious to what is happenning  

• Like 15

Interesting to imagine someone with the attitude described in the first post deciding to go to Hattons - only to discover that the head of the firm is - Christine Hatton!

Interesting to see Christine in the shop area quite a lot too. She is Chairperson with now only a 25%(or more) stake in the business.with Richard Davies having 75% (or more) shares. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11057887/persons-with-significant-control

• RMweb Premium

In between nursing jobs I worked in a model railway shop. This customer was getting quite cross with the person serving him and asked to speak to the manager. So I am called over. My colleague then said to the customer, "You wish to speak with the manager? Well here he is." Before the customer said anything my colleague continued "I am the owner, so get out of my shop. Now". Pointing at the door.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I remember talking to a female manager some years ago. She said that for women the problem was the 'glass ceiling' within the workplace . . I guess it's difficult for them to clean it

I'll just leave that one here and get me coat.

Edited by Downer