Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Chris, I've just returned from Cwm Bach and looking at your superb work in the Wagons once again.

I'm sure we'll meet up once I move back down to Amp Sher.:sungum:

Wear are you moving to? 

Edited by 81A Oldoak
Typo correction.
  • Like 1

With Privett Green Sold, I now need a new imputes to go into TOPS and tinker.

I have finally decided that come what may, SMS will be coming Souf come hell or high water, and so with that in mind I have had another look at it over the past week or so.

One thing that may need to change is the length of the Fiddle Yard. It currently occupies almost 5ft of the total 17ft length of the layout. I've seen that most standard Garages are about 16 to 16.5ft inside length, so with that in mind I wanted to see if I could make the Scenic side more Shuntable.

One problem that has cropped up since changing from the earlier period of 16T Minerals and Box Vans is the almost inability to use the MOD line, as the OAA's and VAA's etc are to long for the double reverse curve that come from the Point, so that was another area I had a look at.

Finally  I have a plan, The current Point to the MOD Line will be exchanged for a Point facing the other way.

A new 1ft wide board will be added to the front at the Sidings end.

I can still reach the furthest Siding in the Engineers Yard to couple / uncouple etc so that will not be an issue.

And I will also have another almost strait route into the MOD Line.

So, Firstly as it is now.

IMG_0965.JPG.8c94e51179f9425f4a3673e6099cba88.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG.1a4926d181ea462d7159cbef87325545.JPG

And how it should pan out, I will need a Left and 2 x Right Points, and re use the Set Track Point that will come out.

IMG_0961.JPG.43d9ba126f0d90b7bba6ff3ca27814c3.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG.cce128d8603272d825097ca8ec855d0a.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG.665839274f0e4a028f8bd993ee950cb3.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG.c8f041e1de6c4cad34d9c66bdc5677a1.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG.2f44277a3d3de1b5935aa80f701a2eea.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG.5efe042cee3ff5bd7d4edceed3b4b9cd.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

9 minutes ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Wear are you moving to? 

Back to the Waterlooville area Chris. We have much family all around there, and so it makes sense now that were getting older, and no longer have any Family ties up here.

• Friendly/supportive 2

27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Back to the Waterlooville area Chris. We have much family all around there, and so it makes sense now that were getting older, and no longer have any Family ties up here.

Not too far from Chandler's Ford. Look forward to meeting up when arrive. The suns is shining today. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Andy, the new scheme looks better.

I have to admit to not being the greatest fan of the sharp bendy track going into the MoD depot.

However............. there is always a however!

With this additional 12" in width, are you going to be able to reach over to the furthest away track to uncouple should the need arise?

I speak from experience as some years back I had an exhibition layout (7/8" =1') where the baseboard height was 48".

Since the baseboards were 36" wide, I needed a step stool in the operating well in order to reach over to uncouple stock at the front of the layout.

Sometimes I used to stay standing on it and pretend I was a Grenadier Guardsman. (Having a key sticking out of my back helped this illusion.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Andy, the new scheme looks better.

I have to admit to not being the greatest fan of the sharp bendy track going into the MoD depot.

However............. there is always a however!

With this additional 12" in width, are you going to be able to reach over to the furthest away track to uncouple should the need arise?

I speak from experience as some years back I had an exhibition layout (7/8" =1') where the baseboard height was 48".

Since the baseboards were 36" wide, I needed a step stool in the operating well in order to reach over to uncouple stock at the front of the layout.

Sometimes I used to stay standing on it and pretend I was a Grenadier Guardsman. (Having a key sticking out of my back helped this illusion.)

Hi Richard, thanks for the info.

I did a run with the 37 and a couple of different Wagons in and out of the Engineers Siding, the furthest one that needs attention from THE HOOK of HAND.:o

The Track is only 26 inches from the New Baseboard edge, and I had no problem coupling or uncoupling, and remember, SMS is only 43 inches from the Floor, and when I move, I can make it lower if required.

All is good at Seven Mills.:good::good::dancer:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes I agree - much better.

Sharp curves are never the best unless using small locos.

Now we know where all those class 40's in the real BR got their bogie cracks.....from going round the tight curves on your MOD line!!

We will look forward to developments

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

49 minutes ago, deltic17 said:

Yes I agree - much better.

Sharp curves are never the best unless using small locos.

Now we know where all those class 40's in the real BR got their bogie cracks.....from going round the tight curves on your MOD line!!

We will look forward to developments

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Deltic17, I always enjoy changes and I think these will enhance the operation on several fronts.

Cheers again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Really like the additional track Buddy, will you have a slight slope down to the new yard ?

Thanks mate, No, no slope as I need rigidity along the board join from old to new, the wall will be moved to the outer edge to make the 5 sidings as part of one Yard.

I may remove the Wood fence between the Engineers Yard and the Sidings, to create a larger Yard rather than the original Exchange Sidings.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I've missed something here. How does making it bigger help it fit in a smaller space?!

I think a lot of us are keen to master this trick....

Haha Yes indeed, I know I will have the length of a standard Garage, and the width should be around the 8ft mark, so although I may need to shorten the Fiddle Yard, I can compensate by adding additional Sidings for Storage, and avoid lifting Stock off the Layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, 47606odin said:

One suggestion would be the current engineers siding could become an additional stabling siding as part of the loco depot, so you don’t have to reach over the fence for couplings, and the engineers could then just move into the main yard

Yes, a nice idea, and as I intend to remove the Fence shown, and basically do away with the MOD Line idea, the Yard will just become one larger Yard for bothe Wagon and Loco Stabling etc. 

1211887526_IMG_0972-Copy.JPG.c31e63dde20cc3a932e1aa2967f00e34.JPG

One other thing that may happen is that the link to the old MOD line may be disbanded, and that line will come out from the Fiddle Yard to a Dead End, basically giving another short but useful Siding. But that decision will NOT be made until I have the new Points and can lay them out and see how it will look.

1948844292_IMG_0968-Copy.JPG.112bceae2c0de5601a7bcf2a17a51e1f.JPG

548821167_IMG_0961-Copy.JPG.7e95eb070fefa71962de99ff20c449dc.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
ADD A PIC
  • Like 5