Transport models relocation sale.

slg

• RMweb Premium

I was in the shop a couple of weeks ago. Dropped in purely by chance and ended up leaving with a Bachmann 47 444. Well the price was too good to miss. At the time they explained about the possible move but advised that no new premises has been found. Do you know if they've found anywhere suitable?

PJ10 

Planning approval was given some time ago, to convert the mill into student accomodation. It was up for auction but failed to reach the reserve price. The owners are trying to sell lots of assets, including the mill, as they lost a court case and now have to pay a Latvian millionaire £3.2 million.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Planning approval was given some time ago, to convert the mill into student accomodation. It was up for auction but failed to reach the reserve price. The owners are trying to sell lots of assets, including the mill, as they lost a court case and now have to pay a Latvian millionaire £3.2 million.

Mike Wiltshire

Not surprising it didn't sell as there is a huge amount of new build student accommodation either recently completed or near complete in the environs of UCLAN.

It is rumoured that the mill owners are in debt to the tune of over £20M.

From a visitor to Transport Models yesterday:

They (the mill owners) were allegedly quite happy taking payments for electricity used from the mill tenants but then not passing this onto the electricity supplier..................

Edited by newbryford

Cracking place and decent staff, not the cheapest but certainly the most convenient for where I live, with a wide range of stuff on offer.

Hope they get a move quickly and at minimal cost.

Not surprising it didn't sell as there is a huge amount of new build student accommodation either recently completed or near complete in the environs of UCLAN.

It is rumoured that the mill owners are in debt to the tune of over £20M.

From a visitor to Transport Models yesterday:

They (the mill owners) were allegedly quite happy taking payments for electricity used from the mill tenants but then not passing this onto the electricity supplier..................

I have been following the story as I worked for a firm that dealt with him in the 1980's when he was an estate agent. In July a court ruling ordered he sell properties, land and shares to pay towards the £25m he still owes.

I hope they find a new location. My son has just started at the Royal Preston Hospital as part of his doctor training and I will become a frequent visitor to Preston for the next two years and a good local model shop is a must.

Mike Wiltshire.

Edited by Coach bogie

Further information - https://www.lep.co.uk/your-lancashire/preston/preston-city-centre/fears-that-preston-businesses-at-historic-oyston-mill-will-be-forced-to-leave-in-a-matter-of-days-over-unpaid-electricity-bill-1-9323798

I hope the owners get their act together and find a way to pay the bill (as they've said they've got the funds to do so).

As above, Owen Oyston has said that the electricity bill will be paid. This might be a crumb of comfort for Liz and her team, it still leaves her not knowing what lies around the corner and you cannot run a business like that. The search for new premises I am sure will be continuing.

Gill and I will be visiting today, not sure what to do with the box of candles we bought!

Talking to Liz yesterday, she said that model shops had offered assistance with storage, now that is friendly/supportive. Maybe someone with large warehouse facilities might be able to help? Her stock levels are huge.

This is a great shop run by a lovely team, do all you can to support it.

Great news is that Gill has found the receipt for the candles!!

Have been into transport models this morning and asked about the current situation- the bill has been paid (by oysten nothing to do with the model shop) and they will continue in their current location for now. Not now closing next week or anything but he future remains uncertain. Picked up a few bits that they will no longer have to pack when they eventually move!

Cheers

Mark

I visited this morning and the team hope that this particular problem regarding the electricity bill payment has been sorted, meaning the shop can remain open.

As usual they have an emporium of stock in many scales, with some superb second hand offerings too as well as the latest models. I’d urge anyone in the area or passing through to take a look in and support this superb model shop. As I’ve said previously, now is the time - more than ever - to support our local model shops; use them or lose them.

I wish the team all the best in resolving the situation and finding new premises if they choose to.

Thanks,

Jack.

A long standing and continually satisfied customer.

• Like 2

Are they resolved to relocate rather than tolerate the uncertainty of the present arrangement?

People are mentioning to me that they have a sale on, related to relocation? Is this correct or not?

It is an excellent example of a genuine local model store, having used it myself when in Preston. That I totally concur with...

• Like 1

Hi Iak,

I was in the store last Thursday. They are happy to stay where they are, they are unsure as to how long they will be able to remain there. It is entirely out of their hands. They could relocate and then discover a resolution with the mill owners. Finding a shop as big as they have now? Horrible, horrible situation. Liz and he team continue to carry on smiling.

Edited to answer your question properly! Yes they are continuing with their sale as it reduces stock in case they have to move quickly. I spent a few bob myself.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre

• 2 weeks later...

Popped in yesterday to find that they are still smiling but without any further resolution of their situation looking forward.

They are still running a "Relocation Sale", with 25% off most products, model railways, diecast buses and lorries and various plastic kits covering aeroplanes, ships, tanks etc. A few items are marked down by 15%. This cannot be having a great effect on their margins, and we all know that local model shops do struggle at the best of times.

John.