Grundy Street

georgeT

11 hours ago, georgeT said:

Fed up with stock laying around everywhere, so decided to make some stackable stock boxes made to fit, also easier to carry them to the club for running sessions etc etc, just waiting for the card for the bottoms to arrive...

DSC04782.JPG

DSC04783.JPG

Nice idea mate, and keeps em safe from broken buffers etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning Martin, l know its necessary  for transit from far away places, but l find the packaging especially Dapol too much, you get a great solid box, don't get me wrong they are great, but if you take a loco and a few wagons to the club for a running session you get a boot full of boxes ? I think the trays are a better way and a lot easier....

• Agree 2

Hello George,

I think your boxes are the right way forward. I produced some a few years back which had separate cubicles which were each cleverly tailored to specific wagon and gave a very snug fit so there was no rattling around in transit. The problem was that my hands were designed with agriculture in mind and wouldn't fit in the tiny gaps to get the wagons out. My attempts to extricate them from the box usually resulting in damaged detail. Not so clever after all! :wacko: Future boxes will have to take my mits in to consideration. 

I have just reread the whole of this log and it has got me wondering about doing something similar in my workshop. If I understand your earlier entries the scenic boards are 11ft  long in total (without the cassettes). It looks a nice size. I just so happen to have one wall which is that length. There is a fish tank in the way, but if I can convince my wife to accept it in another room then I could be in business.  I am afraid the build quality won't be up to your standards but I can dream.:D

Ian.   

• Like 2

Hello lan, Thanks for the tip on the stock boxes,  l had the same problem when l was into OO a few years back, so l have made sure the wagons / locos have enough room to move this time, good luck trying to convince SWMBO about the fish tank, l would tread very carefully, Hahahaha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, georgeT said:

Made a massive improvement to the layout on Bodgits recommendation and that was to lower the layout down to 43" as it was much to high before, and l must sat it is much better now, Thanks Bodgit....

That's ANOTHER breakfast it will COST YOU, Hhahaha:good:

Added some health and safety mesh protection to my Walrus/Seacow type ballast wagon, the mesh is not attached as yet nor is the white paint touched up, but the worker seems a lot happier now he's protected from falling ballast...

DSC04794.JPG

DSC04795.JPG

DSC04796.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, georgeT said:

Good point, l always thought they were protecting heads from falling ballast ?....

No they were for protection from the overhead wires.

Seacows and sealions had a  piece of framework in the centre about 12 inches or so above the walkway (IIRC sealions were higher maybe about 24 inches up) which acted as a step to stand on and peer into the wagon when you wanted to see the contents/if the doors had shut.

As this was in the centre it put you underneath the wires, especially if you decided to climb in when having difficulty cracking the doors shut.

Edit to add a link to Paul Bartletts site where you can see the 'step' 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/seacow?fpciidx=1

And you can see that some but not all sealions had a higher step 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsealion/h1b9374e9

Edited by 101
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the input guys and for clearing up what the shelters were actually there for, the kit l have built is a mixture of a poor kit and some scratch building using bits and pieces from my scrap drawer and painted in the condition they were all in at Eastleigh in the 90s