Grundy Street

georgeT

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, georgeT said:

Hello Rich, Thanks very much for the offer but l have enough on my plate at the moment l have just had sound chips fitted into two 37s and a 31, not cheap as you know, you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it...

NO problem George :) I shall be doing something in the next few weeks I think, probably on Jinty's facebook group or eBay, looking to reinvest it in a couple of locos that are due out in June/July! So if you change your mind, just shout.   Worked out the cost of the required sound chips for the locos in my fleet that I'm keeping ... almost fell of the chair when I got into four figures!!!!! :scared:

Keep up the good work :) 

Rich

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning Rich, The cost is frighting when you think about it, a class 37 cost about £475 new or there about, and you can't put a normal OO gauge chip in as its not man enough for the job, so you have to get the bigger chip from £150, and then you have to hard wire it in as Heljan are NOT DCC ready (even the new ones) and if like me you can't fit it you'll need to get help another £40-50, so whatever loco you buy add £200 to the bill ?

Or you can go down AndrewP (Bodgit) route and have one of the motors disabled to fit the OO sound chip, still a lot of work. Hahahaha

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, georgeT said:

Morning Rich, The cost is frighting when you think about it, a class 37 cost about £475 new or there about, and you can't put a normal OO gauge chip in as its not man enough for the job, so you have to get the bigger chip from £150, and then you have to hard wire it in as Heljan are NOT DCC ready (even the new ones) and if like me you can't fit it you'll need to get help another £40-50, so whatever loco you buy add £200 to the bill ?

Or you can go down AndrewP (Bodgit) route and have one of the motors disabled to fit the OO sound chip, still a lot of work. Hahahaha

Yes totally. I have standardised on the Zimo chips now, as I am a fan of Paul Chetter's sound projects (each to their own however!), so while I can wire them up myself, I now fit the Zimo decoder chassis so that they can easily be removed in the future if I need to replace them.  So yes, I am about the same decoder, chassis, speaker, it all adds about £200. to the bill.  Makes my couple of A3s and A4 that I have on order an expensive proposition to fit sound to.  Still I am tea-total, so I say that I spend it on sound, rather than pints!!  Really hoping to make a bit of progress with the layout shortly, getting envious of you and AndyP running all these trains around!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Spelling
  • Agree 1

Hello Rich, l think once you fall in love the sounds of the steam/diesel loco that's it you are hooked, l have this morning for the first time fitted my little lxion Hudswell Clark 0-6-0 with a Zimo chip with F2 brake etc etc, but it was easy, a bit tight but l got there ! but that was a simple 8-pin chip, as for the bigger locos in my fleet l will have to leave that for the experts...

• Like 1

Got a little jig at Bristol for making the vees etc, seems to be a lot easier, also the rat goes back to Craig in north wales tomorrow as she has finished her ballast and shunting duties at Grundy Street, and a couple of shots of my latest addition (Hudswell Clark No 86) of which l installed the sound chip...

DSC04728.JPG

DSC04729.JPG

DSC04725.JPG

DSC04726.JPG

DSC04727.JPG

• Like 9

Morning Guys, l feel a bit of a plum as l have no paperwork or a cards to the guy who made these product, but l have seen him many times l think he will be at the GOG at Leigh, as l need to get some more stuff from him, he also does laser cut points where you just glue the chairs to, but l have copied them on my printer and can do either right / left and the straight track, very helpful

DSC04731.JPG

DSC04730.JPG

DSC04732.JPG

DSC04733.JPG

• Like 5

The Rat and 08 look to be the perfect combination on GSG mate. So you should have MY Rat today then, I've not seen any pics of it yet but will need to arrange a get together very soon as it's needed on Ballast work for Seven Mills Sidings quite soon.

Edited by Andrew P
speelin

9 hours ago, Deano747 said:

I like the jig, George. Is it also 31.5, and who is the supplier, if you don't mind?

Regards, Deano.

8 hours ago, N15class said:

Handy jig George. Who's the supplier.

I saw a chap at the 2018 Taunton show with similar laser cut items, I too cannot remember his name but I know he was from the West Country. If the chap you purchased the jig from had a laser cut turntable on display then it's possibly the same trader ? 

i believe he may have a connection through James of DCC Automation so it's a possibility you could get his details by asking James ? 

A quick search and I came up with is site  https://railwaylaserlines.co.uk/ .

Steve Smith is the chap I spoke to at Taunton, he had some pre cut laser bases which was what attracted me to his stand. Is this the chap George ?

( usual disclaimers - just a curious visitor to his stand ) 

G

Edit - The site doesn't appear to show the bases but it was certainly a product range he was eager to promote at the show.

Edited by bgman
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bgman said:

Steve Smith is the chap I spoke to at Taunton, he had some pre cut laser bases which was what attracted me to his stand. Is this the chap George ?

G

Yes l think that's him, thanks for that G...

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Yes l think that's him, thanks for that G...

You're welcome George, he's the only chap I have seen on the exhibition circuit that is selling pre cut bases so it probably is. I don't recall his pricing but it seems like another useful aid to anyone wishing to produce track work quicker.

Grahame

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bgman said:

I saw a chap at the 2018 Taunton show with similar laser cut items, I too cannot remember his name but I know he was from the West Country. If the chap you purchased the jig from had a laser cut turntable on display then it's possibly the same trader ? 

i believe he may have a connection through James of DCC Automation so it's a possibility you could get his details by asking James ? 

Are you thinking of Greenwood Model Railway Products, they do various laser cut things including a lovely looking operational turntable?

Rich

• Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Are you thinking of Greenwood Model Railway Products, they do various laser cut things including a lovely looking operational turntable?

Rich

Brains not what it used to be Rich, l do remember he had a turntable with  a class 60 on it...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, muddysblues said:

That jig looks handy @georgeT just had a gander on the sites listed above, but I can’t see any.

Any confirmation who does them ?

I am looking forward to 5191 coming home !! 

best regards

Craig

Hello Craig, l just might keep hold of 5191 she is a real good looking loco and sounds fantastic, l have fallen in love with a rat Hahahaha really would like to have one for myself, maybe later this year ? ...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Hello Craig, l just might keep hold of 5191 she is a real good looking loco and sounds fantastic, l have fallen in love with a rat Hahahaha really would like to have one for myself, maybe later this year ? ...

Its going via Jinty’s, for a renumber to its TOPS guise of 25041, with 0000’s headcodes, before it had it's cab doors sealed up.

any info on those jigs ?

best regards

Craig

• Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Deano747 said:

Thanks for all the replies, chaps. Looks like a very useful aid, assuming he does different angles? (I have some C & L crossing Vs to alter to suit 31.5!)

Regards, Deano.

Hello Deano, the point vee templates are indeed 31.5..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, muddysblues said:

Its going via Jinty’s, for a renumber to its TOPS guise of 25041, with 0000’s headcodes, before it had it's cab doors sealed up.

any info on those jigs ?

best regards

Craig

Great stuff, Must admit l would have changed the to a TOPS one

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, muddysblues said:

any info on those jigs ?

best regards

Craig

5 hours ago, bgman said:

G

Edit - The site doesn't appear to show the bases but it was certainly a product range he was eager to promote at the show.

Craig,

I think it came out to the this chap - railwaylaserlines.co.uk

Rich

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

l have found the guy who make the laser cut track beds but as yet he does not make the vee template they were a free product, but he is going to make them in hard plastic very shortly via a conversation l had with him this afternoon, he will be at the Leigh Show so have a chat with him, his company is 'Greenwood Model Rail Products' no connection just a happy customer...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2