Hornby 2019 Modern Range........

dogbox321

• RMweb Premium

Where on earth did you get this nonsense from?  The Hornby Mk2D TSO has 8 windows, always has had. It was the old Mk3 that had 7 vice 8 windows and that was put right several years ago.

If you look back on various threads there was a batch of mk2d TSOs released which wrongly used FO bodyshell. That’s where on earth he got it from .

• Like 1

If you look back on various threads there was a batch of mk2d TSOs released which wrongly used FO bodyshell. That’s where on earth he got it from .

That is correct - I sent back a whole consignment of 2xFO + 2xBSO + 3xTSO because the blasted TSO was wrong for my era. I understand there were actually some which were declassified first (7 windows) but these were after my modelling period and possibly after blue-grey livery had gone too.

The irony was the catalogue showed them correct (8) but they arrived incorrect (7 windows) to massive frustration! :banghead:

Edited by Opelsi

That is correct - I sent back a whole consignment of 2xFO + 2xBSO + 3xTSO because the blasted TSO was wrong for my era. I understand there were actually some which were declassified first (7 windows) but these were after my modelling period and possibly after blue-grey livery had gone too.

The irony was the catalogue showed them correct (8) but they arrived incorrect (7 windows) to massive frustration! :banghead:

Yeah I bought one. Had the same thoughts regarding de classification, but after some research realised this only occurred when the coaches were Intercity Executive or even maybe Swallow. Anyway, it was duly sent back from whence it came. Similar time to their 3 pack of full fat Coal sector HAA's. They were Railroad spec at full fat cost when they came. They also 'did one'. Again, prime examples of Hornby not really giving a care towards non steam related items.
  • Like 1

Hmmm, interesting thread...

To pick up on a few things that have been mentioned.

Class 08, of late Bachmann have been producing reginal models, mostly 37 & 47s, given Hornbys 08/09 model really is fantastic could they not consider doing the same with 08/09s carrying depot special liveries as suggested further up the thread. Having these as reginal models makes far more sense, im on the south coast, so Eastleighs 08933 or 08442, or Eastleigh works 08649 would be of great appeal, but probably not so someone living in Scotland where they no doubt have their own shunting celebrities. If Bachmann can do it, there is no reason Hornby cant.

Class 31, there are simply loads of liveries that could be done on this, the most popular seems to be, Dutch, BR Blue, Railfreight the list goes on...… Mainline Freight Blue has been mentioned more than once, and how about Transrail on TTG or Dutch, I believe someone said the anniversary of privatisation is approaching?

Class 37, a few have mentioned a new model, id give it a miss, Hornby screw up on detail diffrences on much smaller classes in their range, the 37s would be a minefield, as for the much requested 37/6, I think youd do better nagging Bachmann to do a new nose end for their model.

Class 43, Scotrail seems logical, as for the coaches.. we'll go back to that in a minute..... the twin pack with GWRs 43002 + 43185 is a great idea, ive not got round to buying any HSTs yet, that would have me reaching for my wallet, in fact its that good an idea you have to ask why Hornby havnt jumped on it already?

Class 50, the lovely class 50s, which will always be my favourite locos.... Hornby I remember when I brought my very first one, 50035, about £85 I think, brought it without hesitation, 50045 followed, as did 50018 and most of them since, but the price has gone up and up, and the quality has not, I let a few slip through the net due to errors, 50048 and 50027 being two, and im now at the point I now stop and actually think about wether to buy or not, and sadly, having seen the dogs dinner that is 50033 in NSE ive decided to stop.

Hornby please update this model, it doesn't need opening doors, whats the point when the springs you use just slam them back shut, get rid of the operating grill slats (ive never used them) and have another go at the front end profile, and please… PLEASE  stop making stupid detail livery errors, there are only 50 of them, its really not difficult. It was a great model for £85 back in the day, but I cant justify spending what is now sometimes a RRP of £185 for the same model with detail/livery faults.

Class 56, as said up thread, if Hornby could produce three, it would have to be a Colas one and with that privatisation anniversary coming up, a Transrail and Loadhaul one.

Class 58, Heljan seem to have given up on theirs, so an all new one would be nice.

Class 60, again, so many could be done, with the privatisation anniversary one in Mainline Blue, Transrail and Loadhaul, plus that much requested DBC livery and GBRf 60095. They could churn out a load of trainload freight liveries to, they would sell, why they don't produce them is a mystery to me.

Class 87, im no expert on 87s, but surely a no brainer would be 87101??????? Are there detail diffrences?

Everything (mostly) above is reliveries that can be done, as for new models.....

As said above, Class 58 would be a great all new model (just for Christ sake get the detail and livery right, don't balls it up like the class 50s).

EMU/Coaches, I think a model that would sell would be a class 442 Wessex Electric, surely this could be done in conjunction with designing some more all new Mk3 coaches with power doors to go with the Scotrail class 43s? Must be worth doing as Chiltern also have the plug door type Mk3s?

• Like 1

Class 08, of late Bachmann have been producing reginal models, mostly 37 & 47s, given Hornbys 08/09 model really is fantastic could they not consider doing the same with 08/09s carrying depot special liveries as suggested further up the thread. Having these as reginal models makes far more sense, im on the south coast, so Eastleighs 08933 or 08442, or Eastleigh works 08649 would be of great appeal, but probably not so someone living in Scotland where they no doubt have their own shunting celebrities. If Bachmann can do it, there is no reason Hornby cant.

A nice idea, although sadly I can't imagine Hornby doing it somehow.  For some reason they seem more interested in producing celebrity locos for the main range and quite often they appear to turn out to be dead ducks that no-one seems to want.

Class 31, there are simply loads of liveries that could be done on this, the most popular seems to be, Dutch, BR Blue, Railfreight the list goes on...… Mainline Freight Blue has been mentioned more than once, and how about Transrail on TTG or Dutch, I believe someone said the anniversary of privatisation is approaching?

Class 50, the lovely class 50s, which will always be my favourite locos.... Hornby I remember when I brought my very first one, 50035, about £85 I think, brought it without hesitation, 50045 followed, as did 50018 and most of them since, but the price has gone up and up, and the quality has not, I let a few slip through the net due to errors, 50048 and 50027 being two, and im now at the point I now stop and actually think about wether to buy or not, and sadly, having seen the dogs dinner that is 50033 in NSE ive decided to stop.

Hornby please update this model, it doesn't need opening doors, whats the point when the springs you use just slam them back shut, get rid of the operating grill slats (ive never used them) and have another go at the front end profile, and please… PLEASE  stop making stupid detail livery errors, there are only 50 of them, its really not difficult. It was a great model for £85 back in the day, but I cant justify spending what is now sometimes a RRP of £185 for the same model with detail/livery faults.

Class 60, again, so many could be done, with the privatisation anniversary one in Mainline Blue, Transrail and Loadhaul, plus that much requested DBC livery and GBRf 60095. They could churn out a load of trainload freight liveries to, they would sell, why they don't produce them is a mystery to me.

Agree on the Class 31 and Class 60, so many variants could be produced and it truly is a mystery as to why they hold back on producing some of the most common liveries of these types.  It really makes no sense whatsoever in the case of the Class 60, for Hornby to release what was the best RTR diesel out there (and still ranks close to the top in my humble opinion) and then go ahead and not release the most popular liveries, and still no sign of them over a decade later...  I'm afraid that bizarre is the only adjective! 

Mind you, I'm now in the same ball park with the 60 as you are with the 50, as Hornby seem to fail to get the liveries right these days - the coal sector livery was a mess really and I kind of regret buying mine now, so I'll be super-vigilant when the triple-grey Loadhaul appears this year, as I can't for one moment imagine they'll have corrected the triple-grey errors from last season, although I hope to be proved wrong.  At current prices - and taking into account that I have a fair few of these models already - any new addition has to be 'bang on' - no room for what amounts to poor research or/and schoolboy errors on the liveries front - it's not as if they haven't produced these liveries correctly in the past so why they get everything wrong now can surely only equate to incompetence.  But hey, assuming for one moment that Hornby could manage to get the liveries correct, and taking into account that endless versions of large logo Class 50s seem to repeatedly sell out, then I really can't imagine why at least one version (perhaps even multiple versions by now) of each of the sub-sector variants (coal, construction, petroleum, metals) wouldn't sell, surely they are no-brainers?  Bizarre, just bizarre.

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

Correct 8 window Blue/Grey Mk2d TSO rather than the 7 window FO dressed up as a TSO. (Although with the imminent arrival of the Bachmann Mk2f' TSO's this may now be rather after the event.)

Where on earth did you get this nonsense from?  The Hornby Mk2D TSO has 8 windows, always has had. It was the old Mk3 that had 7 vice 8 windows and that was put right several years ago.

That is correct - I sent back a whole consignment of 2xFO + 2xBSO + 3xTSO because the blasted TSO was wrong for my era. I understand there were actually some which were declassified first (7 windows) but these were after my modelling period and possibly after blue-grey livery had gone too.

The irony was the catalogue showed them correct (8) but they arrived incorrect (7 windows) to massive frustration! :banghead:

Yes, but that's not the point.  The post said that they didn't make a correct 8 window 2D, not that a batch had been produced incorrectly.

Not actually so, but my point was in response to the assertion "The Hornby Mk2D TSO has 8 windows, always has had." which is clearly inaccurate.

The original post from Jonathan425 was not 'nonsense', never mentioning anything about batches or anything Hornby 'didn't make', and is in fact accurate for the most recent release [R4806] earlier this year which Hornby/Production Facility clearly got wrong (proved by model not matching catalogue images and apparently never having run in real life at a 7 window TSO in Blue-grey and certainly not in the era pre1985 which I model).

I suspect the production facility made a cock up, either wilfully or accidentally, not wanting lost production time switching over from one mould/slide to another, or not realising and just painting the FO/TSO differently instead of using the different moulds/slides with 7/8 window apertures.

I do hope Jonathan452 is right and Hornby correct their error on the most recent release and give us an 8 window TSO. I might try and ask them while at Warley if I can find anyone who is technical at stand on the day and not tied up. I would defiantly go for a full rake of 2xFO + 2xBSO + 3xTSO all blue-grey if they do!

Edited by Opelsi

I really wish Hornby would produce a Virgin FO mk2e. What's the point producing a Virgin TSO and BSO but no FO? I often think Hornby deliberately try to annoy modern image modellers!

On the subject of Virgin coaches, I would like Hornby to finally produce a Virgin HST MK3 TGS (with correct silver window surrounds). The last two Hornby Virgin TGS coaches were incorrectly painted as loco hauled stock without silver windows, making them look very odd, despite the pre production images showing them with the correct silver windows.

It's now almost two decades since Hornby last produced correct length Virgin HST mk3s with silver window surrounds, yet they've produced numerous Virgin class 43s (old tooling, limby, and new tooling). Hornby keep producing the Virgin loco hauled mk3a despite Oxford planning a Virgin Mk3a. It's about time Hornby finally produced a full rake of matching Virgin HST mk3s.

• 4 weeks later...

Best of luck to all those who have gone for the more interesting and imaginative prototypes !

Anyway, if Hornby happen to read any of this, here's my tuppence worth. All OO Gauge.

Possible Upgrades.

Class 37/4 - Maybe not 'modern' and definitely not imaginative, but I'd always find the funds

for a decent version of this old favourite.

Class 86 - Railfreight Distribution - There are some stunning pictures of this version on flickr,

on both freight and passenger turns.

- Blue with Cross-Arm Panto.

- Intercity - with yellow panel and cab roof.

Alternatively, and more realistically - if it turns out that we're in for a period of 'consolidation' -

then I'd be happy with -

Class 87 - 87101 - Railfreight.

- Intercity - Original yellow panel and cab roof.

Spare Parts - Cross-Arm Pantograph.

Well, there you have it a very modest Wishlist.  But if it's a Fantasylist you want . . . .

Happy modelling.

Pete M.

Coming back to this after reading a bit more:

If your looking at the best models only - so discounting Limby/Railroad models then I would suggest:

31 - Dutch (with headcode box), Intercity Swallow, Mainline Blue, EWS, DCR Grey, Railtrack Blue and Green

43 HST - Scotrail Intercity, 43002/43185 GWR Pair, East Midlands (buffered HST), Virgin Cross Country (large artwork names on side)

50 - Preserved 50 with 50xxx on one side / 50xxx on the other. Intercity, Br Green...

56 - Loadhaul, EWS, DCR Dark Grey (56312), DCR Light Grey (56103) *56312 could end up like 56303 where its released years after it would have been wanted.

60 - Trainload Coal, Metals, Petroleum, DBC, GBRf

153 - FGW Green, FGW Local, Anglia

• RMweb Gold

The latest on the ScotRail HSTs, is that from December, there will be 10 diagrams operated by them, and most will be using refurbished power cars with unrefurbished coaches, so there is the possibility to do the new Power Cars with the old slam door mk3 coaches.

Ok my 2 pence worth;

1. Class 60 - DB Schenker Red and/or latest GBRf livery

2. Class 56 - Latest DC Rail Freight livery or another Colas 

3. Class 67 - Colas Stella to go with Charlotte

4. HST Loco's - Another run of East Midlands Trains, Cross Country Class 43's

5. HST Coaches - Another run of East Midland Trains, Cross Country and Virgin East Coast Mk3's

6. Network Rail Coaches/Vans/Utility - further variations or new tooling

7. KFA log wagons to go with their Colas 56 or 60

8. DRS Coaches - What about entertaining the idea of making a rake of DRS Coaches that serve the Cumbrian or East Anglian areas.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

Why do they consistently issue HST Power Cars without the matching coaches? It is like doing the driving cars of a 4VEP and not doing the centre cars until a few years later!

Edited by Chris116

Ok, I'll add my hopes to the mix as well: 

VEP - South West Trains, Connex. 

31 - IC (Swallow), Wessex Trains (Pink)

60 - Colas Rail, GBRf and maybe, the long forgotten plain DB. 

153 - Wales and West (Orange - Heart of Wales), Wessex Trains (The Heart of Wessex / St Ives Bay Belle or Looe Valley Explorer Blue), FGW Local Lines. 

HST - Intercity (Swallow), Great Western Trains (Merlin) or First Great Western (Green / Gold & maybe one day Barbie), Midland Mainline (Ocean Blue - Project Rio?), Maybe another re-run of Cross Country, ScotRail with 43002/185 as a LTD Ed pack.

Coaches - Mk2e - First Great Western (Green / Gold), Virgin Trains FO, EWS (Maroon), Cargo D (Blue / Grey with CDL). Mk1s in Network Rail, Riviera Trains.  

Hopefully a few new modern wagons as well. The KFA & former Rover 'High Cube' KSA wagons would be nice, along with something like YWA 'Salmon' and updated OBA wagon. 

And the long forgotten (last year!) Skaledale range - The return of the original GWR style bridge would be nice. 

Do we know when Hornby is due to announce next years range yet? 

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As everyone is doing a what I’d like to see Hornby produce or threaten to produce for 2019;

Class 43 - Scotrail as well re doing Mk III trailers including Virgin East Coast, East Midlands Trains, FGW etc

Class 47 - A whole new model

Class 50 - Preserved examples and those on the mainline now

Class 56 - Colas, Fertis maybe, Loadhaul,

Class 58 - Like the 47, a whole new model

Class 86 - Another whole new model

Class 89 - Something new

Class 91 - What can I say along with new Mk IV coaches and DVT.

Class 365/465/466 Networkers

All versions of the Electrostars

Class 800/802 IET’s including a plain white one

Just saying............

• Like 1

As everyone is doing a what I’d like to see Hornby produce or threaten to produce for 2019;

Class 43 - Scotrail as well re doing Mk III trailers including Virgin East Coast, East Midlands Trains, FGW etc

Class 47 - A whole new model

Class 50 - Preserved examples and those on the mainline now

Class 56 - Colas, Fertis maybe, Loadhaul,

Class 58 - Like the 47, a whole new model

Class 86 - Another whole new model

Class 89 - Something new

Class 91 - What can I say along with new Mk IV coaches and DVT.

Class 365/465/466 Networkers

All versions of the Electrostars

Class 800/802 IET’s including a plain white one

Just saying............

Yes a whole new re-tooled Class 47 to surpass Bachmann's 47 as Hatton's are doing for the 66.

Also totally agree with a new re-tooled Class 91 & new Mk4 coaches & DVT as well as a new re-tooled Class 86....do you think Hornby have the vision or stomach for these???

But seriously Hornby doing a brand new state of the art Class 47 would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Gold

I’d like to see 50031 in its intercity livery, though i’m not convinced it would be everyones cup of tea, so may not be the best choice, but livery choices are running out, however the real thing looks pretty good wearing it.

I think i may look for someone to do a respray for me.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

But seriously Hornby doing a brand new state of the art Class 47 would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Agreed, although at the pace Hornby release different liveries can you imagine how many years/decades it would take to produce even the most basic variants?!  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

An Electrostar would be my EMU wish.

A lot of liveries and quite widespread use, especially on the Gatex, Southern and GWR with hundreds of vehicles now produced.

Though i reckon only in Railroad quality tooling (less separately attached details), but decent paint job, to keep costs down.

• Like 1

Agreed, although at the pace Hornby release different liveries can you imagine how many years/decades it would take to produce even the most basic variants?!  :jester:

It's funny but it isn't, I would hope like with Hatton's at least 30 liveries on release covering Blue Era to present so everyone is happy...now am I actually joking  :no:

• RMweb Premium

Similar time to their 3 pack of full fat Coal sector HAA's. They were Railroad spec at full fat cost when they came. They also 'did one'. Again, prime examples of Hornby not really giving a care towards non steam related items.

Actually the issue with the HAA hoppers was down to the Chinese factory using the wrong tooling! (one of the downsides of having both low spec and high spec versions of the same thing - which to the unknowing Chinese eye look pretty much the same). When Hornby were alerted to the fact the took them back, printed new packaging then sold them as a 'Railroad product'. At no stage was there any attempt to try and pretend they were the super detailed ones once the error was spotted and prices were adjusted accordingly.

Edited by phil-b259

Yeah I bought one. Had the same thoughts regarding de classification, but after some research realised this only occurred when the coaches were Intercity Executive or even maybe Swallow. Anyway, it was duly sent back from whence it came. Similar time to their 3 pack of full fat Coal sector HAA's. They were Railroad spec at full fat cost when they came. They also 'did one'. Again, prime examples of Hornby not really giving a care towards non steam related items.