Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The 'original' Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends.

I seen one of the currant Thomas the Tank Engine episodes the other day (dont ask why), the CGi version, was'nt overly impressed, although i did like the way 'Duck' (the G.W.R pannier) had a west country accent.

Anyway, so I wasn't left with this modern image of Thomas left on my brain I watched a few of the original series, which got me wondering, somewhere in the recesses of my brain I recall being told that Thomas and Friends were 'Gauge 1' models? Quite a few scenes were filmed at the main station, where I counted 5 platforms, overhead station canopy, yard, signal box etc etc.... It got me thinking that it must of been one hell of a big layout, add on all the other scenes, some of which looked just as big, and im guessing it must have been a massive modelling project for the programme makers?

It got me wondering, with Thomas the Tank engine now being CGI.... where are the original models, what happened to Thomas and co? And what happened to the original 'Island of Sodor' ?

• RMweb Gold

I believe the original models are still on display in Thomas Land at Drayton Manor theme park.

There wasn't really one layout per se. It was set out more like a tabletop railway. They'd lay the track out, along with buildings, scenery etc, film every shot that needed that particular setting, then they'd dismantle it all and set up for a different scene. They had some clever tricks, like using a sort of grass effect like greengrocer's turf laid over formers to represent hills and embankments. If you look closely, you can see certain buildings and props pop up in several different settings.

Some of the sets were larger than gauge 1. They had problems with getting the narrow gauge engines to work reliably, so they rebuilt them to a larger scale, plus a couple of standard gauge characters to interact with them. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the larger models, I think they somehow lack the charm of the smaller ones.

They went larger still around series 6, when they introduced a group of construction machines known as 'Jack and the Pack.' This was planned to be a spin-off, and the models were larger and more intricate than anything that had gone before. Larger versions of Thomas and Percy were built to interact with them. A few episodes of the spin-off were filmed, but the whole project was scrapped when HIT took the series over (they owned Bob the Builder and so didn't much like the idea of a series that would compete with that particular cash cow).  The episodes are worth a watch for the model work.

The level of detail was always very impressive, particularly in the early series. I thought it reached its peak around series 4, when they introduced the narrow gauge railway. Some of those sets were positively idyllic.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got a DVD of the original 2 series which my son loves, I’ve really enjoyed rewatching them, one thing which surprised me is that the track looks quite crude - they look like insulfrog points! The modelling is generally superb though, the CGI ones are dire in comparison!

• RMweb Premium

My two and a half year old basically watches series one through seven on a continuous loop it feels like sometimes. After Season Seven they went downhill alarmingly.

A lot of rolling stock does look very Southern Region BR and predecessors in design!

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

There wasn't really one layout per se. It was set out more like a tabletop railway. They'd lay the track out, along with buildings, scenery etc, film every shot that needed that particular setting, then they'd dismantle it all and set up for a different scene. They had some clever tricks, like using a sort of grass effect like greengrocer's turf laid over formers to represent hills and embankments. If you look closely, you can see certain buildings and props pop up in several different settings.

Some of the sets were larger than gauge 1. They had problems with getting the narrow gauge engines to work reliably, so they rebuilt them to a larger scale, plus a couple of standard gauge characters to interact with them. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the larger models, I think they somehow lack the charm of the smaller ones.

They went larger still around series 6, when they introduced a group of construction machines known as 'Jack and the Pack.' This was planned to be a spin-off, and the models were larger and more intricate than anything that had gone before. Larger versions of Thomas and Percy were built to interact with them. A few episodes of the spin-off were filmed, but the whole project was scrapped when HIT took the series over (they owned Bob the Builder and so didn't much like the idea of a series that would compete with that particular cash cow).  The episodes are worth a watch for the model work.

The level of detail was always very impressive, particularly in the early series. I thought it reached its peak around series 4, when they introduced the narrow gauge railway. Some of those sets were positively idyllic.

It's a pity that the level of detail was only undercut by the non realistic operations for a kids TV show. 

Edited by OnTheBranchline

I believe this was around Gauge 3, with the narrow gauge engines themselves definitely running on O gauge track - as they did when originally built to Gauge 1 scale. The primary reliability issue, from what I've heard, was that there was not enough room in the small-scale engines for the battery for the eyes, so they had to be pulilng a van or carriage with the battery concealed inside at all times. The servos for moving the eyes also proved uncomfortably cramped.

I believe this was around Gauge 3, with the narrow gauge engines themselves definitely running on O gauge track - as they did when originally built to Gauge 1 scale. The primary reliability issue, from what I've heard, was that there was not enough room in the small-scale engines for the battery for the eyes, so they had to be pulilng a van or carriage with the battery concealed inside at all times. The servos for moving the eyes also proved uncomfortably cramped.

Yep, that's right - either they had to couple it to a van, or the engine had to be stationary, or its eyes couldn't move. They also had issues with the motion (which was taken from Triang Halls and Princesses) binding.