Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

excellent news that your doing more 86's......however, I was really hoping for some liveries from late 80's / early 90's.

I never got a 86 from your first batch because you simply didnt do any liveries I wanted, or any 86/4's.....

so im hoping you will eventually do 86/2 in early Intercity, and 86/4's in RF distribution, Parcels Red,

and the first version of Intercity (not swallow).

FWIW I saw my first 86/4s in August 1985, and 86/3s from August 1980.

There were a few 86/0 around still in September 1986, after which interests changed to other things......

According to various references you are in the ball park, the last 86/3 conversions were in April 1981 whilst the last 86/4 conversions were from 86/0's without SAB wheels.  The 86/4 conversion programme took just over 2 years from January 1985 until May 1987.

• Like 1

Agreed Clive, hence the question. “Les Ross” is the only Electric Blue 86, and it looks a bit gaudy to my eyes.

Don't forget 86233 was painted in a version of electric blue by Virgin near the end of its life.

If there is another argument to be had over the alleged 'electric blue as built' falsehood then I am happy to appear for the 'No they weren't' brigade.

All in all this is a good choice of model but we will know nothing about how good or not it is or if the pan is going to be up to scratch until it appears in the Heljan boxes. It is going to be a long and potentially tedious wait. Let's hope it is worth it.

Edited by Natalie

Heljan are doing an 86/0 with the original (internal) suspension, 86254 is an 86/2 with the modified 'Zebedee'  (external) suspension so the model is not really suitable for your needs, of course it is your model and you can renumber it whatever you want.

Thank you for your guidance - AL6s are a long way from pre-group GER so I excuse my ignorance on those grounds! I just like them because they hauled us to school and back and would like one in my display case.

Once this loco is completed Heljan could do a class 81,82,83,84 as they like doing the more rarer diesel locos.

I wish that would happen. Heljan seems to have lost its taste for exotica and started into 0 gauge. We have been left high and dry with DP2, Falcon, Kestrel, Lion and some railcars but no 10800, 18000 or 18100, nor something else with a lot of 1s and 0s – It-which-must-not-be-named.

• RMweb Gold

I wish that would happen. Heljan seems to have lost its taste for exotica and started into 0 gauge. We have been left high and dry with DP2, Falcon, Kestrel, Lion and some railcars but no 10800, 18000 or 18100, nor something else with a lot of 1s and 0s – It-which-must-not-be-named.

I guess No Decorum's internet connection Fell over preventing him finishing his post?

Andi

• Funny 1

I suspect they will come at some point, but probably not from Heljan. More likely to be a smaller operation like Accurascale or perhaps a retailer dealing directly with a factory in China, where the economics are more favourable than a larger company like Dapol or Heljan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your guidance - AL6s are a long way from pre-group GER so I excuse my ignorance on those grounds! I just like them because they hauled us to school and back and would like one in my display case.

I am sure you have much more knowledge about AL6s etc than I have about the GER, each to their own as they say.

• 3 weeks later...

excellent news that your doing more 86's......however, I was really hoping for some liveries from late 80's / early 90's.

I never got a 86 from your first batch because you simply didnt do any liveries I wanted, or any 86/4's.....

so im hoping you will eventually do 86/2 in early Intercity, and 86/4's in RF distribution, Parcels Red,

and the first version of Intercity (not swallow).

First of all it's great that your re-toolling the 86. The main required improvement for me is the cab windows and I'm really encouraged to see the

cad design, earlier on in this thread, potentially reflecting this.

May I plead and concur with eagle50043 that I would absolutely cherish models of the 86/2 in BR blue with the domino lights as these

were so ubiquitous  around the 70/80s. Also, It would be amazing if you could produce the 86 in varying 'raspberry ripple' intercity liveries

during the 80/90s, especially with the renewed interest in AC electrics modelling and fantastic new rolling stock on offer for this period.

First of all it's great that your re-toolling the 86. The main required improvement for me is the cab windows and I'm really encouraged to see the

May I plead and concur with eagle50043 that I would absolutely cherish models of the 86/2 in BR blue with the domino lights as these

were so ubiquitous  around the 70/80s. Also, It would be amazing if you could produce the 86 in varying 'raspberry ripple' intercity liveries

during the 80/90s, especially with the renewed interest in AC electrics modelling and fantastic new rolling stock on offer for this period.

Absolutely, great to hear of the 86/0 being retooled, but not sure I will splash out on one. Now a retooled 86/2 (and 86/1) in BR Blue and early InterCity, well that would be a different matter altogether.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Battling through a lowsy winter cold, but smiling inside to see another bright spark of excitement for the electric modelling fraternity. I quite fancy an 86 in some form or other, and look forward to bobbing one in and out of Johnson Street, once the layout is completed, probably a cally sleeper one as DB have never had any - somewhere creative licence comes into play - DB could possibly do work on the Cally Sleeper locos - and that would tie in nicely for a Cally Sleeper 87.

But HeljanBen is watching, there does seem an awful lot of options on a very narrow era with soooo many options for the 86.

Kat :-)

• 5 weeks later...
On 28/12/2018 at 00:59, gazwire said:

Their were only two 86's that carried the domino lights 235 & 251

56 minutes ago, wn 1A said:

Their were only two 86's that carried the domino lights 235 & 251

I suspect that gazwire meant the plated headcode boxes with headlamps - certainly that was my main disappointment with the Hornby model never to tool that variant (as opposed to printing dots....)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I suspect that gazwire meant the plated headcode boxes with headlamps - certainly that was my main disappointment with the Hornby model never to tool that variant (as opposed to printing dots....)

I agree - Even a clip on headcode panel would have been an improvement

• 3 weeks later...