Guardian says: Tell us: what's the rail service like in your area of the UK?

• RMweb Gold

The Guardian website is asking for experiences of the UK rail services. This does tie in with the thread about personal experiences of the state of UK rail.

If anyone is interested the link is

Tell us: what's the rail service like in your area of the UK?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/nov/22/tell-us-whats-the-rail-service-like-in-your-area-of-the-uk?

Flocky

I'm going to contribute and say my local rail service would be fine if it wasn't for all the trees alongside the track causing adhesion, sighting and obstruction issues.

If printed, that'll come out as "... frack lauding allusion, fighting and construction tissues." :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

The last two times I've tried to get into London on a Saturday from Harold Wood I've not been able to - first time I drove to Upminster, got on a train there. Was fine until the return journey when West Ham was closed for overcrowding because they have completely stuffed the service there.

This Saturday, I couldn't park anywhere near Upminster and ended up driving to central London and parking - was quicker and cheaper including parking than two of use getting the train.

So my current opinion of the service is unprintable lol

From the Daily Mail the antidote to the Guardian. with appologies to he late Humphrey Littleton!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6436283/Number-train-delays-caused-leaves-line-increased-two-thirds.html

Mark Saunders

Not sure where the 'headline' photo was taken.... doesn't look like much traffic has passed for quite some time!!

From the Daily Mail the antidote to the Guardian. with appologies to he late Humphrey Littleton!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6436283/Number-train-delays-caused-leaves-line-increased-two-thirds.html

Mark Saunders

I had a look, just to see what the headline picture was!

Geez! You can hardly move on that site for advertising and I've got an ad-blocker - why anyone ever "reads" a red top, I'll never know.

They really are dreadful, aren't they?

• RMweb Premium

I have an Adblocker precisely because the saturation advertising on news websites, particularly local papers was getting so bad that if you were lucky to get the page to eventually load, it was nigh on unreadable.

Unfortunately they have now countered this by putting up blocks if you have an Adblocker now which renders said site now useless.

Anyone would think local news paper media was deliberately trying to kill itself off!

• RMweb Gold

Would be fun as what rail service do we up in northern land have on a saturday?

Ditto down here, half a service between Waterloo and Yeovil but nothing west of there.

Apart from the Remembrance weekend, when a planned strike was cancelled, SWR have hardly run anything down here on a Saturday for months.

Got to the stage I don't even check any more, I just grab the car keys....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

The problem with all of these surveys is the in-built selection bias. People are seldom motivated to get enthused enough to start completing surveys about stuff that is OK, met their expectations without being especially get or just plain average. There is a small number of people who are so happy with the terrific service they receive they'll make an effort. Then there is every man and his dog with a grudge about the subject of the survey who make sure they respond and give it 0 out of 5 - total rubbish. The result is that results tend to be weighted in a certain way, I've completed this one and been rather positive but that's only because I am a rail enthusiast. There are all sorts of services I find perfectly satisfactory which I wouldn't be bothered to rate in an on-line survey.

I wanted to do the survey just to say that round here there isn't a rail service at all except if you drive 60 miles and get the twice a week California Zephyr from Denver.

BTW some numpty politician from the North West said that there have been leaves on the line since the railways were built???!!!

John P