Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

Oh brilliant! Thanks very much for that link Gary! Pictures look absolutely stunning.

It also confirms that the list provided on this thread earlier on of XC03's R-codes is indeed correct - result.

Edit - apparently the 'by Arriva' is being taken off all XC stock, even though it's only recently gone on. What a world we live in.

Edited by JackB95

52 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

apparently the 'by Arriva' is being taken off all XC stock, even though it's only recently gone on. What a world we live in.

Could this be to do with the government supposedly wanting to minimise naming of operators beyond the name of the franchise itself?

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Could this be to do with the government supposedly wanting to minimise naming of operators beyond the name of the franchise itself?

Yes, all to do with the change from franchises to management contracts I believe. 

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Looking at the images on the engine shed, the previous power cars do not match. They have the wrong cowling anyway but I was hoping to use my old pair in the time the new ones have not been released.

Can't find a picture of the original release power cars and trailers side by side to compare.

As it is - look at the prototype pics and the difference between the sliding door stock and the power cars..........

On 09/04/2020 at 15:56, gary_lner said:

For all those Intrested in the XC mk3sd Hornby have released a bumper edition of the engine shed blog with some useful information on it. Running numbers and product codes etc

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/easter-egg-cross-country-trains-coaches

Regards Gary 

They look lovely. Thank you for sharing. 

On 09/04/2020 at 20:05, Class 158 productions said:

Looking at the images on the engine shed, the previous power cars do not match. They have the wrong cowling anyway but I was hoping to use my old pair in the time the new ones have not been released.

If you look at the real life picture of the TGS with the power car to the left they look a little different as well. Certainly the roof and ends are different shades.

• Agree 1

On 07/04/2020 at 23:58, Simon Bendall said:

Its mentioned above that the running numbers are based on info provided by GWR as of May 2019. At this time, unfortunately both GW03 and GW04 were not in their correct formations and that's were the issue has arisen.

GW03 was assigned 48112 in place of 48109 between mid May and mid June 2019 as 48109 was allocated to static training duties, although it appears GW03 actually remained out of service at St Philip's Marsh throughout this time as 48112 was stopped for faults and an exam. GW03 didn't go back in traffic until 48109 was released.

GW04 had 48131 in place of 48112 between early May and early August 2019 as 48112 was as above and then sat spare until 48131 needed an exam.

So not a mistake, just unfortunate choice of sets and timing.

Not quite, I view it as a mistake rather than an unfortunate choice. I am happy to have a PM chat with more supportive facts if you message. Before May 2019, back in 2018 the build list from Wabtec would have been provided to Hornby (either from D. S. or D. W. at Wabtec) and I consistently informed them that the first five GW01-GW05 being formed mainly of First Group rather than Angel Trains units would be re-formed when the TSD and spares were built later on. It was well known the TSD build proved the more challenging and the build programme slipped, this meant GW03 being briefly mis-formed until the first five were converted. But this was temporary and the formation sheet should have still been followed. Thus, any formation back in May, during the drawn-out delivery process would not have been the final set numbers. 

I do have to apologise, as I have checked the information again. Though 48131 is a 'spare' it is due to be formed into GW11. So not even this coach for Hornby is right! Spares are: 

TGS 49112 (Angel)

TGS 49113 (FGH)

TSD 48134 (FGH)

TSD 48135 (FGH)

I would have had respect if rather than us having to sort out this jumble, Paul Isle would admit he has made quite a mess of these! The reported Arriva XC dates are also must interesting! They have always been planned to be 7-car with the provision of enough spares to make another set/increase lengths for the new Direct Award. 

1528248021_Screenshot2020-04-12at10_21_41.png.a86167c2a4d9f08e54ac47e33301ed7d.png

727358972_Screenshot2020-04-12at10_31_37.png.a848217aa4c8ca4d6f498d48019222b7.png

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Should be arriving soon, certainly cheer me up during these rather bleak times! 
Hope everyone is doing well

I'm on Scotrail, so about another month until my HST cars can be put to good use!

Either way, looking forward to getting them!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GEOEng03 said:

Some of the XC coaches are showing as being in stock on the Hornby website... Can't be long now!

Cheers

Hope so. Rails of Sheffield has updated the photos for the Cross Country Mk3's on the website today with the final samples from Hornby.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 16:58, 43055 said:

Hope so. Rails of Sheffield has updated the photos for the Cross Country Mk3's on the website today with the final samples from Hornby.

They do look rather tasty.  I see the old slam door carriages are appearing, with most >£40 on eBay.  Be interesting to see if a) there value drops upon release, b) if more appear and c) if the colours between batches are anything like each other.  More have appeared, including the GWR ones, although only one in stock, the rest are sold out for GWR...

Cheers

23 minutes ago, GEOEng03 said:

They do look rather tasty.  I see the old slam door carriages are appearing, with most >£40 on eBay.  Be interesting to see if a) there value drops upon release, b) if more appear and c) if the colours between batches are anything like each other.  More have appeared, including the GWR ones, although only one in stock, the rest are sold out for GWR...

Cheers

They do look good. I think the XC ones look a little different to the slam door version (could be wrong) but I would be surprised if the GWR ones are different in terms of colours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Rails have a load of GWR slam door ones for £27.99

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/3051/Hornby-gwr-mk3-passenger-coaches

Or are you talking about the sliding door ones in your last bit of the post?

I was referring to the GWR sliding door sets on the Hornby.com website.  They are appearing online there in a slow trickle.

• Like 1

Just now, GEOEng03 said:

I was referring to the GWR sliding door sets on the Hornby.com website.  They are appearing online there in a slow trickle.

Sorry I thought as you were talking about slam doors earlier in the post you were still on about them

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 43055 said:

They do look good. I think the XC ones look a little different to the slam door version (could be wrong) but I would be surprised if the GWR ones are different in terms of colours.

Hopefully they will be the same for the GWR.  Was referring to the original batch of XC coaches versus these.  Will be interesting to see if Hornby have migrated to the Bachmann XC shade or not... Difficult to tell from the pictures that are being shown - but they look fantastic, regardless.

Cheers

Just now, TomScrut said:

Sorry I thought as you were talking about slam doors earlier in the post you were still on about them

Yeah, I can see how my wording may have suggested that :rolleyes:  The earlier post was that the sliding door MK3 in GWR area showing as sold out on Hornby.com now, which suggests that they have all gone to retailers - aside from one that is showing as available.

Either way - the GWR and ScotRail HST are a very modellable unit with the length that can be prototypically run...

Cheers

1 minute ago, GEOEng03 said:

Either way - the GWR and ScotRail HST are a very modellable unit with the length that can be prototypically run...

Definitely. I decided I needed a HST (doesn't every modern layout?) and originally thought about the NMT with the new release. Even bought last year's coaches too. Decided to go for sliding door instead as the NMT is a bit flawed detail wise, prototypical length is too long for my layout and the newly tooled coaches look better.

Originally thought I'd have a 4 coach XC, as I aim for ECML around York really with what I buy. Decided to have it as ECML York-Edinburgh as I also wanted the Scotrail 68/mk2 setup and so settled on ScotRail HST with 4 too.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

The GWR sliding door models seem to be in stock at Hornby, or rather were in stock. Most were there for a short time before indicating out of stock, one left seems to be one variation of the TGS.

Several were previously indicated as sold out on pre-order at some of the dealers, so if not already ordered you may have difficulty’s or need to search around.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Rails have a load of GWR slam door ones for £27.99

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/3051/Hornby-gwr-mk3-passenger-coaches

Or are you talking about the sliding door ones in your last bit of the post?

good for adding buffers and numbering as GWR Sleeper seated coaches (with a bit of latitude but a lot cheaper than trying to source the sold out Kernow numbers of the same item)... one pack of 3 sold for £200 on ebay, yet a TGS, Buffet and Trailer here would be £80, transfers from Railtec under £10, and even better the Hornby numbers come off just by rubbing them with your finger.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Indeed! Invoice has arrived so we're expecting them at some point today, which means we'll be processing pre-orders over the weekend (it might be a Sunday job this!).

I'll get some close up pictures posted once they've arrived.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2