Hornby - New tooling - 59' Bulleid 'Short' coaches

Andy Y

18 hours ago, Calidore said:

Hoping for some news on these soon — although as mentioned the original delivery estimate of April/May clearly isn’t happening it’d be good to know when we can look forward to them.

I was hoping that Hornby would have samples of their short Bulleids on display at Alexandra Palace

last week, but nothing. The young lady on their stand assured me that they would appear ' in the Summer '.

I would have thought we should be seeing some ep's by now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Which is what I meant in my original post by 'other' - the usual S&DJR being the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway, the 'other' S&DJR being the Salisbury and Dorset Junction Railway... :)

Many thanks for that - never knew that line from Salisbury started life with that name! I have fond memories of it too as we often went to near Salisbury to visit friends when I was a youngster. I remember one December in about 1957 I think, when I was 12, I was taken on an afternoon trip down to Eastleigh for a bit of trainspotting. The outward train was a brand-new Thumper (class 2H then) and all I remember is the overwhelming smell of fresh paint and varnish. The trip back though was a T9 and a Bulleid set - just like in the picture. With this journey not only the smell of steam and smoke, but above all that of the steam-heated coaches! Happy days ….

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There was a thread about that S&DJR on RMweb some years back, led by Tim Hale, no longer of this parish. He had a talented friend who was building a layout. There were some super buildings, but the poor man was ill and then died. Tim was very disheartened by this. If you can find the thread there are some prototype pics, too. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Big James said:

These have moved into the coming soon section so hopefully not to far away. 

Big james 

That is great news. I have a set on order, and will buy a further set if Hornby produce them in Blood and Custard.

I really do hope these coaches will be well supported. To my mind they are a very brave venture by Hornby ie.  not

the most obvious SR coaches to model in RTR.

I have noticed how much coverage the GWR bow ended suburbans have received on here compared to the Bullieds,

which I hope will prove to be just as popular when they appear.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I've saved most of the money for getting both the BR(S) Green 'sets' when they come out, as long as they're up to the normal Hornby coach standards. I'm hoping it won't be too long before they do more alternates as well. The more they do, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The pictures on the current 'issue' of the Engine Shed could be quite old. If the next issue is covering them in detail then I would expect nearly ready, if not fully finished, models being looked at (as per the Large Prairie in the current 'issue').

Edited by Ian J.
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Finished models were in Simons box at Kernow in Guildford today.

These look fantastic, when he showed me them the first two lines from my mouth were “these are going to sell out” and “these are well overdue”.

if you have older Bachmann ones, you really are going to need to hide them out of the way, they won’t match, there age really is going to give them away.

With flush windows, including the brown grab bar (painted) in the corridor windows, no smoking signs, flush glazing, metal buffers, end steps they’ve captured the Bulleid coach feel really well, including that inward can’t they seem to have when you look at them from platform level.

Simon responded he’s planned for more, different numbers. 

I have all 6 in BR green in order, livery is compatible to the existing BR Green maunsells.  Southern green version was also in his box.

simon said these are expected very soon.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Is the Southern Green (malachite?) still the same green as the BR Southern Green?

It really won't matter much too much to me as I can always consider those BR Southern Green Maunsells I relettered to Southern Railway for my 1947 time frame as just re-varnished aged and ever so slightly more aged coaches even though they were just repainted post war.  I actually would welcome the difference. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Finished models were in Simons box at Kernow in Guildford today.

These look fantastic, when he showed me them the first two lines from my mouth were “these are going to sell out” and “these are well overdue”.

if you have older Bachmann ones, you really are going to need to hide them out of the way, they won’t match, there age really is going to give them away.

With flush windows, including the brown grab bar (painted) in the corridor windows, 

I hope the corridor window handrails are not brown on the SR version as they were chrome plated! 

1 minute ago, Graham_Muz said:

I hope the corridor window handrails are not brown on the SR version as they were chrome plated! 

Exactly, Graham. I've made enough comments to ' the right ears ' about the corridor handrails.

Not all Bulleid coaches had chrome handrails, but the ' shorties ' certainly did.

I had a nasty feeling that they would be represented as wood.

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit not looking too closely at the Southern green ones, but the green looked a shade different (though it could be the sunshine lettering).

but the corridor window hand rails on the BR ones were brown.

Edited by adb968008