Jump to content
AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

Message added by AY Mod

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I would agree it has its slow moments. Loading a post today took several times longer than in the past.

 

Hi Gordon,

 

Every time the internet gets faster, and the servers more powerful, software writers take advantage to add extra bells and whistles to programs and slow everything down again. :(

 

And so it is with RMweb -- this version of IP.Board has significantly more features than before, which makes a lot more work for the server and database engine.

 

You can give the server a hand in preparing your pages by marking the site read every few days. In other words, telling the server not to go looking for stuff you haven't got round to reading so far, you will find it yourself if you ever need it. There is a link to Mark site read at the top right of topic pages. I have found that it speeds things up nicely for a day or two. Bear in mind that it applies to the whole site -- topics, blogs, gallery, PMs, the lot.

 

cheers,

 

Martin.

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2019 at 22:24, beast66606 said:

 

 

Is it possible for posts to show what time they were posted rather than for example 10min ago?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, russ p said:

 

Is it possible for posts to show what time they were posted rather than for example 10min ago?

 

Hold the mouse over that link and it will show you:

 

rmweb_time.png.8bf37e172c3758aa654a6560eb130a72.png

 

cheers,

 

Martin.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The forum has been slow at times, it's even disappeared completely a few times. I've noticed that making a post with photos takes a long time, much slower than before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nile said:

The forum has been slow at times, it's even disappeared completely a few times. I've noticed that making a post with photos takes a long time, much slower than before.

I would agree that navigation time has become very slow or erratic. Andy never did indicate where the cloud servers are located. But as I am located only 40 miles from San Jose California  and on a high speed network, I would guess it is not bandwidth/network.  Or are you now using a UK server site? The previous hosting site was in Ohio if I remember correctly.

 

(Andy) I am using up to date Google Chrome on a Windows PC (actually a almost a mini windows server) so it should not be platform or browser issues. Is there a different optimization for Android or IOS platforms?  I have not put an analyzer on to see if it is an HTML resolution problem.  I can but would like to know what analyzer you would prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The slowness I'm getting as only started Friday eve and has been constant throughout the weekend, could be the i pad but but other sites work fine. 

Not sure what I can do.

steve.

 

  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

The slowness I'm getting as only started Friday eve and has been constant throughout the weekend, could be the i pad but but other sites work fine. 

Not sure what I can do.

steve.

 

Mine has been slow on Chrome but seems OK now on Firefox. (I have RMweb on both.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has already been answered but I cannot find it. 

Is Gallery returning and if so how will I know it is back? 

Or is it already back in a different guise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, barrymx5 said:

Sorry if this has already been answered but I cannot find it. 

Is Gallery returning and if so how will I know it is back? 

Or is it already back in a different guise?

 

Hi Barry,

 

Andy says it will be back, with a link on the top row -- when he has fixed a technical problem with it.

 

There is a test album to see the new format here:

 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/category/7-test-category/

 

Martin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When composing a post, if it take too long, I get logged out of the softwhare and everything is lost.

 

(more than say five minutes)

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it the built in photo editor has gone for good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange that so many say it’s slower when I’m finding it no different but I do mark it all as read at the end of each visit so from what’s said above that might be worth a try. I’m finding posting photos on mobile far faster too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N15class said:

I take it the built in photo editor has gone for good.

 

It wasn't built-in, it was simply a link to an external online editor.

 

It is still available here: https://pixlr.com/x/

 

That's an updated version which no longer requires Flash.

 

Maybe Andy could put a link on the top row?

 

Martin.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

 

It wasn't built-in, it was simply a link to an external online editor.

 

It is still available here: https://pixlr.com/x/

 

That's an updated version which no longer requires Flash.

 

Maybe Andy could put a link on the top row?

 

Martin.

 

Thanks Martin.

It was just handy and very easy to use for pictures for here.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Its been very slow for the last couple of days.

 It has for me too, last night was probably the worst and my activity stream button stopped working. I went on the I pad and it was just as slow on there, seems really strange as prior to friday evening everything was fine, I've cleared all cookies, caches etc which is about as much as I know and done virus/malware  checks and all was ok .

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I've observed I've observed any general slow-downs but I have disabled the 'who viewed topic' function as that was the only thing introduce on Friday morning which could have made a difference.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I can't say I've observed I've observed any general slow-downs but I have disabled the 'who viewed topic' function as that was the only thing introduce on Friday morning which could have made a difference.

 

Speed has not been an issue for me - no noticeable difference from the old version.

Andy - I noticed the link in your signature - "Want a version of 'View New content'?" - that's really useful and was the only thing I was struggling with - thank you.

 

One final thing - after sorting out my login issue which involved creating a new account, is there any way to get back my original "joined RMWeb date" of December 2012, rather than 'last week' as it's showing now? Also, a lot of my older posts are showing "Guest" rather than "Pete 75C". Neither of which are a huge issue and if it's a consequence of merging the two accounts to get me back on here, I can live with that!

Thanks, Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pete 75C said:

is there any way to get back my original "joined RMWeb date" of December 2012, rather than 'last week' as it's showing now?

 

It may be possible if I go deep into the back end in the database tables, I hate going there and I'm always fearful it has some unintended consequence if any alterations are made but I will don my protective gear and have a look sometime when I get chance.

  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

 

 but I will don my protective gear and have a look sometime when I get chance.

 

Black PVC?

  • Funny 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

is there any way to get back my original "joined RMWeb date" of December 2012, rather than 'last week' as it's showing now?

 

Now sorted.

 

21 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

 

Black PVC?

 

It was a bit sweaty in there but I made it.

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

 

It may be possible if I go deep into the back end in the database tables, I hate going there and I'm always fearful it has some unintended consequence if any alterations are made but I will don my protective gear and have a look sometime when I get chance.

 

I was going to say don't worry about it as I'd hate to be the cause of any unintended consequences, such as Boris becoming human or the accidental return of the "disagree" button, but you've already done it. Brave man, and much appreciated, ta. I didn't really like being a newbie again...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent a PM a little while ago, or thought I had done so. Unusually, the system did not give the normal 'message has been sent' confirmation after the send button was pressed. I then noticed my sent box has disappeared.

 

Presumably there should be a sent box, or does the new system not accomodate it? Is there a connection between the lack of send confirmation and the disappearance of the sent box?

 

  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I sent a PM a little while ago, or thought I had done so. Unusually, the system did not give the normal 'message has been sent' confirmation after the send button was pressed. I then noticed my sent box has disappeared.

 

Presumably there should be a sent box, or does the new system not accomodate it? Is there a connection between the lack of send confirmation and the disappearance of the sent box?

 

 

I don't see a "Sent Items" option either, got to say that is a bit inconvenient as I often forget if I've messaged someone and the ability to check would be nice :)

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.