Class 92, By Accurascale

44 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Its a good job your not modelling diesels in 1955-1960...

10001/2 and 10201-3 changed appearance almost as often as each appearance they made.

If your modelling railways in February 2020, thats actually a pretty lonely game, as by May 2020 quite a lot will change.

Todays modern image is a revolving door, just today I learnt I can now model class 60’s alongside class 142’s on a preserved line, in a few months time my East Midlands HST will be preserved too.., and its the very number Hornby produced.. though its been named and changed from EMT to EMR in that very short window.

if I want to keep current, I need to put a hammer to my DCR class 56 amongst other things. I’ll be keeping my Class 92 order proportionate to what I see, as a window of time, who knows who will be operating the sleeper by the time the model arrives.

The thing is, I have only recently got back into the hobby so I have had the benefit of being able to pick and choose based on research when I buy something knowing it's likely to last a while, like not buying an LNER HST for example. I will reach some sort of time equilibrium at some point as some stuff gets looking like it's going to change. At the moment my 90042 and 60007 I think are most likely to change before long. Unless DRS relivery because of their recent restructuring. Once the stuff I have starts becoming no longer current I will settle on a time period.

And yes I think it's great that they have got 2 class 60s to preserve, Pacers I think are good for these railways too as I expect they'll be cheap to run and maintain vs first gens? I keep meaning to go there as it's only about 90 minutes drive away.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

like not buying an LNER HST for example. 

I went past Gascoigne Wood a few weeks back the sidings, and Neville Hill are full of LNER HSTs now branded as EMR awaiting the “re-entry” to service date.

Railtec transfers I am sure will offer EMR patches to cover the 2019 LNER logos (which are themselves covering the 2018 VTEC logos), long before Hornby offer an EMR HST in ex-LNER, Ex-VTEC Red.

January 2020

2CEA38C0-F4F1-4FD5-99F7-24A0F87035DD.jpeg.fa8cee87f9a0d83a9bedb7cd505affd6.jpeg

December 2019

1F4AD79F-B057-438D-B53D-3E44DBCBF9CF.jpeg.9a10625e3c0ad8300096bd72a86eea07.jpeg

June 2018

D915CF8B-607F-4A44-98CE-8B3C4CAA1BCA.jpeg.ec393049b872fdf2c36f2147145b7481.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I went past Gascoigne Wood a few weeks back the sidings, and Neville Hill are full of LNER HSTs now branded as EMR awaiting the “re-entry” to service date.

Railtec transfers I am sure will offer EMR patches to cover the 2019 LNER logos (which are themselves covering the 2018 VTEC logos), long before Hornby offer an EMR HST in ex-LNER, Ex-VTEC Red.

2CEA38C0-F4F1-4FD5-99F7-24A0F87035DD.jpeg.fa8cee87f9a0d83a9bedb7cd505affd6.jpeg

Third time that livery has been used.

I was thinking about a Virgin one and getting transfers before Hornby did the LNER one and before I looked into the timings and decided to get a different HST (as I felt I had to have one on the layout)

On the topic of the 92....

IIRC the decoder of choice for the sound ones will be the Loksound V5.

Does that mean a DC one with a Lokpilot V5 (which has the servo functionality, I presume the same behaviour as the Loksound) with the right settings would do? I aren't that bothered about sound but I'd want the servo pantographs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/02/2020 at 21:58, TomScrut said:

On the topic of the 92....

IIRC the decoder of choice for the sound ones will be the Loksound V5.

Does that mean a DC one with a Lokpilot V5 (which has the servo functionality, I presume the same behaviour as the Loksound) with the right settings would do? I aren't that bothered about sound but I'd want the servo pantographs.

@Accurascale Fran would you be able to advise on this please? (Sorry to nag if you have seen it but can't/don't want to comment)

Also if the answer is yes would there be any scope for a DCC fitted option? It would maybe encourage people who don't want to be messing about with CVs but want the working pantographs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the slow reply. We’ve worked up the configuration of the 92 to work with any good decoder with the right outputs. Our sound versions will of course work out of the box and the lokpilot v5 equally

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, McC said:

Sorry for the slow reply. We’ve worked up the configuration of the 92 to work with any good decoder with the right outputs. Our sound versions will of course work out of the box and the lokpilot v5 equally

Thanks, I was thinking at least the Lokpilot V5 is likely to have the same settings you will be using for the Loksound.

When I said DCC fitted I meant DCC non sound, but I understand if you don't want to offer this.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Has the pantograph been sorted out? Are you'll sticking to servo-controlled pantographs or moving to something simpler?

I think if they weren't servo I'd have been told in the dialogue above (given that's what I am asking about)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Has the pantograph been sorted out? Are you'll sticking to servo-controlled pantographs or moving to something simpler?

Hi Hayley,

Our pans will be powered by a small coreless motor. The factory confirmed this morning that we will have the first tooling sample of the 92 in late May!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Hayley,

Our pans will be powered by a small coreless motor. The factory confirmed this morning that we will have the first tooling sample of the 92 in late May!

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks,

I cannot wait to see the first sample. Certainly one of the models I'm really looking forward to.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/03/2020 at 14:07, TomScrut said:

I think if they weren't servo I'd have been told in the dialogue above (given that's what I am asking about)

Not everyone reads every single post in a topic. I'm not a DCC person. Anything DCC is Greek to me and I mostly skip over posts that have DCC in it.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Ummm...Not everyone reads every single post in a topic. I'm not a DCC person. Anything DCC is Greek to me and I mostly skip over posts that have DCC in it.

Sorry for trying to point you in the direction of the answer....

On 20/03/2020 at 12:29, TomScrut said:

On 20/03/2020 at 12:29, TomScrut said:

You're looking at *DCC Dumbo* here Tom.... :jester: but thank you nonetheless.

PS: I still can't find a mention of pantographs. Only something about decoders. I shall retreat to my hiding place now before I make a fool of myself again.

2 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

You're looking at *DCC Dumbo* here Tom.... :jester: but thank you nonetheless.

PS: I still can't find a mention of pantographs. Only something about decoders. I shall retreat to my hiding place now before I make a fool of myself again.

No probs!

I was asking if the new ESU non sound decoder would work with the pantos the same way as the ESU sound decoder they are fitting, that's all.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2020 at 09:13, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Hayley,

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran,

Will the motorised pans also be sprung as per the Bachmann 90 so that a) the pan moves up and down as the wire height alters (rather than just raising to a set height) and b) so that the pantograph can still be used on OLE for those using DC, and therefore not making use of the pan motors?

Hope that makes sense...

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Our design uses the motors to hold the pan to in place which is sprung to run happily under Catenary. The pantomotors will also raise and lower on DC using micro switches. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

With regards to delivery date, is it now looking Q1 2021? 

the 92 project timeline is unchanged with samples due in the coming number of weeks.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has the chassis type changed from tungsten alloy to a heavy metal alloy. You've advised this change for the Class 55 due to manufacturing difficulties, but I haven't seen any change advised for the 92. The front screen on your website for the 92 still states 'tungsten alloy chassis'

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Has the chassis type changed from tungsten alloy to a heavy metal alloy. You've advised this change for the Class 55 due to manufacturing difficulties, but I haven't seen any change advised for the 92. The front screen on your website for the 92 still states 'tungsten alloy chassis'

Hi rembow,

Yes, the 92 will also use our heavy metal chassis. We are currently updating the website to reflect this. The 92 will still be a heavyweight with sufficient speaker space engineered into the design from the outset.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Yes, the 92 will also use our heavy metal chassis

How will this compare density wise to the tungsten alloy? Not complaining if it will be less dense, I will just be surprised if its going to be more dense!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

How will this compare density wise to the tungsten alloy? Not complaining if it will be less dense, I will just be surprised if its going to be more dense!

Tungsten alloy proved literally impossible to use, with the resulting tool destruction ramping pricing up for little actual gain. With the deltic, the model weighs in well over 750g using our 'heavy metal chassis' which is a zinc, aluminium, copper alloy with the equivalent density of cast iron.

• Like 2