Ikea Crate Micro Layout.

On 26/02/2019 at 07:22, CloggyDog said:

I'd be more tempted to keep the carrying handles and stackability, I think. Especially if I were to do multiple micros!

Easy enough to cut more grips (or add handles) :D

steve

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Howl03 said:

Thank you David, I started by painting them with a base coat of dark grey and then mixed a lighter grey and blended this in keeping the darker areas at the edges. once this was dry I used brown and black weathering powders over the whole area.

Regards Paul. 

Paul,

Thanks for your reply, that's really useful. It does look so effective.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hurrah, you're at it again!:locomotive: And you began it on Friday? Very impressive.

Nice to see the Bachmann workshop used. It's a really useful structure.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hurrah, you're at it again!:locomotive: And you began it on Friday? Very impressive.

Nice to see the Bachmann workshop used. It's a really useful structure.

Thank you Mikkel. Have had a week off work so its been nice to have the opportunity to do some modelling. I do find that when the modelling bug hits me I zoom through these little projects quite quickly. Then I tend to have stretches of inactivity.

Regards Paul.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A little bit more done to the layout. Small goods shed and another tree added. The goods shed is from Bachmann, I have had this for a while so its nice to finally use it on a layout.

fullsizeoutput_14a6.jpeg.f03cb80c2a0209f8c6e24f92dc85191b.jpegfullsizeoutput_14a8.jpeg.3a5c36ce0a09a3bcacb69ad20491624d.jpegfullsizeoutput_14a9.jpeg.3c2aba64ce4f82a65b4db4a1bcd3604f.jpeg

Thanks for looking. Regards Paul.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, luke the train spotter said:

Stunning! An amazing scene for such a small space. Hats off!

Thank You Luke. Hopefully once I've made the fiddle yard I will produce a short video of it running.

Regards Paul

• Like 1

Fantatstic little scene .

If I can be allowed a tiny criticism , the right angles in the skybox ruin the illusion slightly . Maybe if the trees were a bit fuller they might hide the corners a bit better.

Other than that I think its great , especially like the concrete hardstandings.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, col_kilgore said:

Fantatstic little scene .

If I can be allowed a tiny criticism , the right angles in the skybox ruin the illusion slightly . Maybe if the trees were a bit fuller they might hide the corners a bit better.

Other than that I think its great , especially like the concrete hardstandings.

Thank you col_kilgore, Yeah one of the learns I'm taking away from this build is to try and curve the corners of the back scene on my next layout.

Regards Paul.

That J70 is quite a piece of work, and delightfully weathered too.

I must say, I'd already bought a box file for the layout I am planning, but this special little scene has made me rethink that, particularly as there would be no need to make building that can be taken apart.

It' a handy bonus that I'll be near Birmingham Ikea the week after next too!

Excellent modelling and, like all of your work, wonderfully inspirational. Perhaps a second instalment that, turned through 180 degrees, could act as a fiddle yard for this scene?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 02/03/2019 at 19:33, Howl03 said:

A few photos of the layout with some stock on it. The J70 is the recent release from Model Rail that I finished weathering today. Still got a few finishing touches to do, plus I need to build a fiddle yard for the layout.

fullsizeoutput_14b0.jpeg.28fb7ec3e64f4afb98c870410e428ce6.jpegfullsizeoutput_14b2.jpeg.85ea05261b0c187783c4ddedee0796de.jpegfullsizeoutput_14b4.jpeg.14aeb36420df219be8f74861466a3d45.jpegfullsizeoutput_14b6.jpeg.a89bb02d14a70f63dd5778a7f82b1850.jpeg

Thanks for looking. Regards Paul.

Stunning. Your J70 looks absolutely superb! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:35, Howl03 said:

Yeah one of the learns I'm taking away from this build is to try and curve the corners of the back scene on my next layout.

coving can be used with some success to partially hide box corners , either polystyrene for ceilings or timber types used for skirting and floorboards-
according to what you are going to put in front of course as it then gives a lip between the coving and original box,  but it might be worth experimenting with? 
-the other option would be go with bendy MDF but this isn't cheap and brings a lot more woodworking into what would have been an easy baseboard? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:35, Howl03 said:

Thank you col_kilgore, Yeah one of the learns I'm taking away from this build is to try and curve the corners of the back scene on my next layout.

Regards Paul.

Could that be achieved via a drop in one-piece card backscene? Perhaps allied with coving in the corners?

I'm facing a similar issue with my Czech TT micro, so will experiment with some small coving mouldings in the back corners and a length (w + l + w) of thin card with my backscene either printed or applied to it. Thinking the coving will keep the card from creasing into the corners?

• Like 1

Great progress with this fab little layout Paul,
I really like the flow & composition of the scene, and great use of space - really nice :)

Re a fiddle yard - what are your thoughts? Sliding sector plate... perhaps on drawer runners?
Just wondering what you now think is the best way forward, after having pretty much finished the on-stage part of the layout

It's a funny thing - but this is always how myself, and most of my mates build a layout too
A couple of us have even ended up, frantically lashing together the fiddle yard a couple of nights before a show!
what you you say, eh @wenlock ? ;)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, marc smith said:

Great progress with this fab little layout Paul,
I really like the flow & composition of the scene, and great use of space - really nice :)

Re a fiddle yard - what are your thoughts? Sliding sector plate... perhaps on drawer runners?
Just wondering what you now think is the best way forward, after having pretty much finished the on-stage part of the layout

It's a funny thing - but this is always how myself, and most of my mates build a layout too
A couple of us have even ended up, frantically lashing together the fiddle yard a couple of nights before a show!
what you you say, eh @wenlock ? ;)

Thank you Marc. was initially thinking sliding sector plate, but think I will just opt for a right hand point to join both sidings with a single piece of track, turning it into a small shunting puzzle layout. May make it a scenic fiddle yard but without a back scene. still mulling over ideas.

Regards Paul.

• Like 2