LMS Kitson 0-4-0ST

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The main differences are a much larger bunker in front of the cab and shorter, but larger diameter tanks on the later build.

So those aren't side tanks (for water), but coal bunkers?

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Does the Horwich 1953 version differ much in appearance from the original LMS type, please Michael?

There are very few parts in common between the two kits, I did originally think that it would be possible to put out one kit with alternative parts and all the Horwich bits were on the first test etch.

The differences came about as a result of BR increasing the coal space, if you look at photos of the Kitsons at Bank Hall coaled up for a day's shunting in Liverpool you will see why - coal was piled up on every possible surface, along the footplate, on the cab roof, even balanced along the handrails!

The extended bunkers meant that the tank had to be shorter so to maintain the water capacity it was made deeper. This involved a shorter chimney and the whole of the dome became visible, the steam manifold remained the same but the injectors were moved to the back of the tank. The cab was enlarged slightly - a few inches longer at the back and the frame/footplate length increased as well. Presumably for better balance a much thicker leading buffer beam was used and the cab steps were different - the only unaltered parts were the boiler, smokebox, cylinders and motion. Not bad for what was supposed to be a new build of the same design.

Incidentally the original ones are always quoted as being a standard Kitson design but i can't find anything remotely similar built by them and most of the features look very Derbyish to me.WP_20180709_11_21_07_Pro.jpg.55e8dd0efa8bed6840cc75113348230c.jpg

The two test etch builds lined up on my test track, original on the left, Horwich on the right.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The design looks very Midland, so why not build some more of the Midland 0-4-0 side tanks?   Maybe the Midland got fed up with people criticising their designs and decided to show what a really ugly loco could look like only to be trumped by the L&Y in BR Days. Makes you wonder why they didn't build some more L&Y pugs instead.   Perhaps they were making work for otherwise redundant drawing office staff.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know how to check out an item (specifically this one: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/375 )? I cannot find anything like an "Add Cart" to buy this. Or do you have to be present at a store to buy this item?

Edited by nope

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, nope said:

Does anyone know how to check out an item (specifically this one: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/375 )? I cannot find anything like an "Add Cart" to buy this. Or do you have to be present at a store to buy this item?

Telephone or exhibition (Manchester upcoming) is the simplest way.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Our address, email address and phone number are all shown in clear on the website, if you have been trying to phone us we have been away for a couple of weeks. We do always answer emails wherever we are but can only answer the phone when we are at home.

The Kitson 0F is currently out of stock but we are expecting more in the next week or so, we hope before Manchester exhibition.

Judith and Michael Edge

I also have questions about the kit itself. This will be my first time assembling a kit to make a model engine. I want to know what I should expect. Do I need any special tools to construct this model? Does the motor come along with the kit, as well as paint? Thank you. :)

Edited by nope

• RMweb Premium

You will need to supply motor/gearbox, wheels and buffers for this kit (and certainly not paint!) - the parts list tells you what is needed/recommended. 

You do need to solder the parts together, no special tools are required but please note that this kit requires some components (boiler and tank wrapper) to be rolled. Ideally this is done with rolling bars but can be done by hand.

If you are a complete novice this kit is definitely not one of our easiest to build. I do try to make them as easy to build as I can but the design of each locomotive type can and does throw up all sorts of problems.

• Thanks 1

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 01:58, nope said:

I also have questions about the kit itself. This will be my first time assembling a kit to make a model engine. I want to know what I should expect. Do I need any special tools to construct this model? Does the motor come along with the kit, as well as paint? Thank you. :)

Can I recommend 2 books by Iain Rice? Etched loco construction and Locomotive kit chassis construction? The chassis book is a little out of date now in terms of motor and transmission options but still great for the basics.