Stoke Cannon blockage

• RMweb Gold

Sometime much earlier today, a train struck a car at a level crossing near Stoke Cannon, north of Exeter. Local media allege the car was parked on the crossing, so it is hardly surprising that re-opening the line is taking more than 12 hours - this is a crime scene and due care needs to be taken by the police gathering important evidence.

What baffles me is that passengers reaching Exeter were told to make their way to the local bus station to take service buses to onward destinations, and it appears virtually no trains are running below Exeter. What sort of Mickey-Mouse railway are passengers now paying for? 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Didn't they demolish the bus station in Exeter? Anyway, it's a long uphill trek from St David's.

I suppose the correct answer to your question is that the passengers won't be paying due to the delay repayment scheme. I had an e-mail from SWR earlier in the week to the effect that they are automating the claims system. They clearly recognise that they are making so many repayments that they can't do it with staff.

At this rate, ECML will not be the only franchise failure.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Didn't they demolish the bus station in Exeter? Anyway, it's a long uphill trek from St David's.

I suppose the correct answer to your question is that the passengers won't be paying due to the delay repayment scheme. I had an e-mail from SWR earlier in the week to the effect that they are automating the claims system. They clearly recognise that they are making so many repayments that they can't do it with staff.

At this rate, ECML will not be the only franchise failure.

The Bus Station redevelopment in Exeter was put on the back burner a year or so ago. Fortunately, demolition of the Paris Street Bus Station hadn't commenced so it is still in use (or was when I last used it a couple of months back).

On Tuesday, I noticed a couple of biggish cranes in position further up in the area between Sidwell Street and Western Way but don't know if there is a connection. A strong development trend in Exeter in recent times has been ever-increasing provision of student accommodation, so it may well be more flats.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Sad incident indeed however XC has run all bar the Paignton services to and from Penzance and Plymouth - Exeter. North of Bristol an hourly service has been run reliably - removing the Bristol - Birmingham portion of the Manchester - Bristol service to allow crews to cover for the non arrival of Plymouth crews on the Anglo Scottish services. These crews were used to cover for the non arrival of Bristol and Birmingham crews. This not a five minute exercise as train crew controllers will know.

The timetable does not allow extending to Taunton as units arriving in Bristol do not have enough time to extend and take up back workings.  This ensures core routes still served. Folk above Birmingham have a normal service which helps many more of the tens of thousands travelling on the whole network.  

I know this as I was the XC route controller who took the call at 0608 advising of a fatality. The fact a car was involved was not reported for an hour such was the distress to staff on site and signalling centre at Exeter.  

As it was declared a scenes of crime staff on hand ready for police releasing scene.  Not to put you off any food the body recovery was deemed complex and fire brigade were having to carefully cut up car to allow the deceased removal. 

Happily employed by the Arriva group and not the Disney corporation.

Robert         

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

There's quite a bit more to it but afraid you'll have to wait for details as we can't tell what is hard fact from the bits we are getting via traincrew, so don't want to spread stories.

Glad no injuries on the train but feeling for the driver.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Sometime much earlier today, a train struck a car at a level crossing near Stoke Cannon, north of Exeter. Local media allege the car was parked on the crossing, so it is hardly surprising that re-opening the line is taking more than 12 hours - this is a crime scene and due care needs to be taken by the police gathering important evidence.

What baffles me is that passengers reaching Exeter were told to make their way to the local bus station to take service buses to onward destinations, and it appears virtually no trains are running below Exeter. What sort of Mickey-Mouse railway are passengers now paying for? 

Sadly its not the only incident along this stretch, last week a woman took her own life at the Hele & Bradninch crossing.

Although less significant to the above tragedies the line to Barnstaple has been closed for most of the day due to a fire at Eggesford, it has however added to the disruption here in the SW area.

IMG_2602.png.420be91b51ed8b02a2e2f35b979ec11f.png

Edited by bgman
spell check !
  • Informative/Useful 1

BBC News report on this tragic incident: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47732763

BTP are saying that this accident, the fire at Eggesford, and two other incidents on the railway nearby, are linked; So a most unusual set of circumstances.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi 

Sad incident indeed however XC has run all bar the Paignton services to and from Penzance and Plymouth - Exeter. North of Bristol an hourly service has been run reliably - removing the Bristol - Birmingham portion of the Manchester - Bristol service to allow crews to cover for the non arrival of Plymouth crews on the Anglo Scottish services. These crews were used to cover for the non arrival of Bristol and Birmingham crews. This not a five minute exercise as train crew controllers will know.

The timetable does not allow extending to Taunton as units arriving in Bristol do not have enough time to extend and take up back workings.  This ensures core routes still served. Folk above Birmingham have a normal service which helps many more of the tens of thousands travelling on the whole network.  

I know this as I was the XC route controller who took the call at 0608 advising of a fatality. The fact a car was involved was not reported for an hour such was the distress to staff on site and signalling centre at Exeter.  

As it was declared a scenes of crime staff on hand ready for police releasing scene.  Not to put you off any food the body recovery was deemed complex and fire brigade were having to carefully cut up car to allow the deceased removal. 

Happily employed by the Arriva group and not the Disney corporation.

Robert         

AFAIK, Robert, XC is not the SFO for St Davids, and I believe it would be up to that company to organise alternatives. While early morning sees all known coach firms busy with skool runs I would expect resources to come free after about 09.00. And the local cancellations seem to have been widespread. The other incidents now being linked to this horrid affair no doubt contributed to the chaos.  

I agree traincrew management can be a nightmare on such occasions, having worked in Croydon Control 1969-73, when staff were more numerous and route-knowledge more widespread. 

Lets hope your next shift is more straightforward. Sherry hopes to be on a Voyager from Torquay to Stafford tomorrow, having stayed home today. Fingers crossed!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The lunchtime Spotlight report from the crossing showed the barriers and there didn't appear to be any damage to any of them, to which I would conclude that "parked" would be the correct description. They were hoping to reopen the line at 6pm. So we will have to wait for this evening's Spotlight for an update.

I think the investigation will be somewhat complicated, in finding out exactly what has occurred.

Sympathy for all those involved and affected by this tragic incident.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the update,  no mention of the line being reopened,  but hoping to have a normal service tomorrow morning.

Mention was made about chairs being left on the line at two locations and the fire at Eggesford. The police are not looking for anyone else in connection with these incidents.

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

We also had concrete blocks on the line at Nuneaton on the Leicester line, follwed about 30 minutes later with all 5 lines stopped north of Peterbrough  due to suicidal male on foot bridge - not the first time this has happened.  Earlier 1V50 was delayed by a train failure and got to Birmingham 70 minutes plus late.

Just another day in paradise . At least most of these do not afflict model railways yet ...

Olddudders,  Thanks for the thoughts. Station facilities operator - yep GWR , XC runs no stations but has access contracts. School buses and drivers might seem to be available but these are now often fitted with smaller seats and closer spacing and are not suitable- personal experience of a Harlech - Mach replacement agrees with this , 3+2 seating !! and I am 1.98m tall. Also contract sometimes tie up drivers actions, plus of course driver hours directives does now mean  a reduced pool available.  XC also got vehicles from Bristol Parkway to Exeter direct in an attempt to keep passengers (old school!) moving.

In the best of worlds each route has a "lead operator" and this TOC has alternative transport managment role and it is not always the expected operator or the most numerous service provider. Added to this most TOCs outsource road provision management - remember Frazer eagle! well others filled those boots!

Hopefully line reopened this evening but when I left work enough sets west of the block to give full sets start up so hopefully Sherry has a better go tomorrow, I am back in the chair 06.00 so lets see.      

Good to read you were a member of the fog plaiting and steam nailing club.

Robert      

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, bgman said:

Although less significant to the above tragedies the line to Barnstaple has been closed for most of the day due to a fire at Eggesford, it has however added to the disruption here in the SW area.

It is rumoured that the 'lineside fire' was actually the token hut at Eggesford - which was completely destroyed along with the token instruments.

Having seen the effects of a destroyed signalling location case at Preston Park a few years ago, such damage is not quick to fix - particularly if rare single line token instruments have been destroyed.

I have also seen a rumour that the fire service wouldn't tackle the blaze until power to the hut was cut off - though whether it would have made any difference if the fire had been tackled sooner is open to question.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

As somebody who was employed in the railway industry for many decades and has in the past shown considerable knowledge of just how difficult incident management can be, I would have expected better from you.

If its taking a while to sort things out then its a fair bet that the public are not being told the full story rather than it being due to deliberate incompetence.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

To be fair the initial reports in the media made it look like a much simpler incident. The wider complications weren’t known at that stage outside the railway. I have been told quite a bit more by crews informed by Exeter but as it’s a criminal investigation it’s not appropriate here for us to post until it’s released officially. 

Not directly related to this, so don’t read too much into this, but to be honest I think some things are best not released to the media who shout it loud and give people ideas. 

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

As somebody who was employed in the railway industry for many decades and has in the past shown considerable knowledge of just how difficult incident management can be, I would have expected better from you.

If its taking a while to sort things out then its a fair bet that the public are not being told the full story rather than it being due to deliberate incompetence.

I don't see the connection with Oldudders comment about being told to go to the bus station and your comment. Indicating that there should be a degree of resilience in resources to cope as best as possible with issues of this type is not wrong. In RCE Anglia (which had regular LC incidents) both the IC and Prov production engineers had coordination plans with Ops to keep the rest of the network running. Even in the late 80's we had started the 'no public info' on the incident but made certain we gave information on what was ruining and how passengers could get to their destination (and 'go get a bus' was not the extent of it).

The fact that the operator or franchise requiremets may stop these resources being available is not necessarily a criticism of those clearing up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Not directly related to this, so don’t read too much into this, but to be honest I think some things are best not released to the media who shout it loud and give people ideas. 

I agree with you, I can remember when everything we were issued with had 'Private not for publication'

Printed on it and we were warned not divulge information, but now everything seems to be freely available on the internet, much of it seemingly officially. I guess freedom of information is responsible but I can see little advantage in much of it being in the public domain.

Edited by 101

17 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Perhaps it was just confusion and/or poor communication in the early stages of the incident ? I know from my own experience in Control (until 2016) that every effort is made to maintain services either side of a blockage, taking into account infrastructure and resource limitations of course. And it always takes time to get things organised when a major incident such as this occurs.

15 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi 

Robert's post shows the kind of decisions Controls make, ie withdrawing legs between Bristol and Birmingham (a route not directly affected by the incident), in order to maintain the full timetaable elsewhere and provide the best overall service to the greatest number of passengers.

• Agree 1

I've been to a few of these incidents over the years and in some cases it is quite literally a fingertip search to make sure you have got all the squishy bits, that really does take time.  You've seen what happens when a bird is hit....

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The media reports didn’t report the three other incidents in the area that caused the other chaos for a long time.

The real story was still unfolding and telling that incomplete would lead to a minority in the media speculating and exaggerating it into a big story and overreaction. 

I’d say from what drivers told us they’d been told down there very good choices were made in operation and media statements which kept it sensible but made it look like a much simpler problem to the outside. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Following a trip today I am now aware of the facts but it is not for me to comment on here, suffice to say my heart goes out to the family of the young man who took his life.

• Friendly/supportive 3

9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Spotlight News this evening reported the deceased to have been an employee of GW.

John

I kinda guessed that by various comments from employees who said they were saying nothing.

Is it usual for such cases to be  "referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct."?

Edit Ah, I see that the BBC reports

"The 23-year-old man from Exeter had been in contact with British Transport Police (BTP) before his death."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47748980

Edited by Talltim