Jump to content

Rails announce SECR box van in OO


AY Mod
 Share

Recommended Posts

My two SECR vans arrived today. After having a look at them I decided that there was no time like the present to attempt a P4 conversion. P4 wheels rubbed against the lower part of the W-iron but a few minutes with a dental burr in the Dremel solved that. After this I refitted Gibson wheels (I used spoked ones) and the wheels turn smoothly. The wagons run reasonably well though not as smoothy as a wagon fitted with bearings in my opinion. I have noticed that the roof does not overhang at one end. A few minutes with styrene will solve that and there is no slot in the coupling hook for the links to sit in. Not sure how to solve that one. Those two things aside I am pretty impressed. The underframe could do with a coat of paint and will get one and a spot of weathering. 

 

I look forward to more pre-grouping wagons. It is nice to see one company producing pre-group models grounded in reality.

 

Craig W

IMG_E3789.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with others. I have now recieved a couple, 1 from the in stock special door batch, the other ordered by luck at the end of day 2 when they first announced.

Hopefully there will be more 1424s to come as they really are perfect for SECR layout where as the Cambrian kits are rather at the end and most RTR is way off. 

The 3rd van in the photos below, is a 1st batch BR one repainted in SECR Maunsel grey. I know it's not correct but there were few alternatives at the time and it is still closer than most RTR SECR coloured stuff out there today.

 

Here are few photos.

1st up Rails Little Titch - what loco could not be a better companion?

1424_1.jpg.1531ca5791ecf16935b6f7b8e080ee26.jpg

 

 Here we have the three vans side by side. BR later brake type repainted SECR left, special door with early brake type middle, normal door early brake type right.

 

1424_2.jpg.eca408e61ae650cc76c573a64a195683.jpg

 

A quick comp next to Bachmann's SR vans showing how their successors dwarfed these types.

 

1424_3.jpg.d1ca79b76759b93007eb8abd0f1b0522.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I agree with others. I have now recieved a couple, 1 from the in stock special door batch, the other ordered by luck at the end of day 2 when they first announced.

Hopefully there will be more 1424s to come as they really are perfect for SECR layout where as the Cambrian kits are rather at the end and most RTR is way off. 

The 3rd van in the photos below, is a 1st batch BR one repainted in SECR Maunsel grey. I know it's not correct but there were few alternatives at the time and it is still closer than most RTR SECR coloured stuff out there today.

 

Here are few photos.

1st up Rails Little Titch - what loco could not be a better companion?

1424_1.jpg.1531ca5791ecf16935b6f7b8e080ee26.jpg

 

 Here we have the three vans side by side. BR later brake type repainted SECR left, special door with early brake type middle, normal door early brake type right.

 

1424_2.jpg.eca408e61ae650cc76c573a64a195683.jpg

 

A quick comp next to Bachmann's SR vans showing how their successors dwarfed these types.

 

1424_3.jpg.d1ca79b76759b93007eb8abd0f1b0522.jpg

Interesting contrast in colours. The third picture seems to show this best.

The second and fourth vans should be the same colour, clearly they are not. I assume that you re-painted the second van with Precision SE & CR wagon grey, which is the Maunsell colour. Obviously rails have done theirs too light.

I have not received my SE & CR ones yet, waiting on the last one to arrive. So I could have a go at darkening this down. After all, they did say that the Maunsell grey got darker with age.

 

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Interesting contrast in colours. The third picture seems to show this best.

The second and fourth vans should be the same colour, clearly they are not. I assume that you re-painted the second van with Precision SE & CR wagon grey, which is the Maunsell colour. Obviously rails have done their too light.

I have not received my SE & CR ones yet, waiting on the last one to arrive. So I could have a go at darkening this down. After all, they did say that the Maunsell grey got darker with age.

 

All the best

Ray

 

I'm hoping I can get more. I could not care less which colour they are as I can repaint them. At this moment I can only get special door ones but there were only 2 and to be honest, the second special door one may not even have been a type 1424. They took 2 vans in service and changed the doors which means for all we know, the other one could have been an older type such as the one represented by the K's white metal kit. It is precision paints but I do wonder if it is too dark!

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

 

I'm hoping I can get more. I could not care less which colour they are as I can repaint them. At this moment I can only get special door ones but there were only 2 and to be honest, the second special door one may not even have been a type 1424. They took 2 vans in service and changed the doors which means for all we know, the other one could have been an older type such as the one represented by the K's white metal kit. It is precision paints but I do wonder if it is too dark!

2102468727_KsandChathamKitsSECRWagons.JPG.6e91e36cc3fc70a09787c8ebc8f66060.JPG

Something like this. The old K's van on the left and a Chatham Kits 3 plank on the right.

These were both painted with Precision SE & CR grey. The van should have been lead grey, oops !

The three plank has been given a heavier dose of weathering as befits an older wagon.

 

For the earlier lead grey colour, I use Precision P130 - BR Roof Grey (Maroon Coaches Only).

 

I slipped up with a missed purchase at the Uckfield exhibition in 2019, as they had a number of old unmade K's kits that had come out of somebody's loft. Included were two 8 ton vans. It did not cross my mind until I got home, that these were two of these vans, but there was no other identification on the labels.

All the best

Ray

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
On 29/03/2021 at 15:09, adrianmc said:

secr_9944.jpg.6e3a632bf4e67b1125f890a49df034b7.jpg

 

On 09/04/2021 at 11:32, Craigw said:

 

IMG_E3789.jpg

 

Looking at the planking, the printing seems to have turned out very differently. I wonder if anyone can explain the difference?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

 

 

Looking at the planking, the printing seems to have turned out very differently. I wonder if anyone can explain the difference?

 

It is the photographs and lighting exagerating the print lines in the photo above I feel. In practice, you can see them on all 3 (original batch, this standard door and special door batch) if you look close enough. But they are not visible from a foot away.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

 

It is the photographs and lighting exagerating the print lines in the photo above I feel. In practice, you can see them on all 3 (original batch, this standard door and special door batch) if you look close enough. But they are not visible from a foot away.

 

My photo was taken under my desk light with my iphone. There is no discernible stepping on either of my samples

 

regards,

 

Craig W

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mikkel said:

 

 

Looking at the planking, the printing seems to have turned out very differently. I wonder if anyone can explain the difference?

Think it is just variable quality in the printing. One of my earlier versions is near perfect the other has very noticeable print lines.

1004382851_Img_5099(2).jpg.b71da1d369199038aa11922d2cac43cb.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Hi, 

Weathering these may well be a challenge, not sure the effect on the finish or whether the 3D printing might be affected. Maybe a very careful application of a non-solvent based acrylic in a hidden spot, just to test the surface. 

Bare wood planks to replicate repairs, cracks and repairs to the tarred roof and rust on the ironwork but fading the existing painted finish is going to be a headache as we usually disrupt (very carefully) the finish with a glass fibre pencil brush.

 

Results will be uploaded
 

StaySafe

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Bare wood planks to replicate repairs, cracks and repairs to the tarred roof and rust on the ironwork

 

I would be a bit restrained here, though of course it depends on period. Covered goods wagons do not seem to have become quite as run-down as opens, certainly not as mineral wagons. What sort of damage would there have been to a wood-framed covered goods wagon? Before the second world war, any repairs to woodwork would, I think, have been treated properly with paint; a van in service regular service would not have the opportunity to become very rusty and brake block dirt should not be overdone on a wagon with hand brake only - the brake is not applied with the same force as a vacuum or air brake. As for the roof, the canvas would be painted not tarred. Check photos for your period, always thinking of the context in which the vehicle appears.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Our timeframe is '48-52 by which time it would have been neglected since '39 and at the end of its revenue earning service or possibly used as departmental stock together with the eagerly awaited Hattons 6w full brake (discussed elsewhere)

 

Just how neglected depends on finding clear, images but a careworn paint finish and essential repairs seem to be appropriate for a fifty year old van. This image of a grounded LCDR van illustrates the level of neglect that is appropriate NOT the usual rotted hulk.

 

Rails_SECR_01c.jpg.03d11f6446ab0b4995273943fe2d3b48.jpg

 

 

Thanks

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi, 

Weathering these may well be a challenge, not sure the effect on the finish or whether the 3D printing might be affected. Maybe a very careful application of a non-solvent based acrylic in a hidden spot, just to test the surface. 

Bare wood planks to replicate repairs, cracks and repairs to the tarred roof and rust on the ironwork but fading the existing painted finish is going to be a headache as we usually disrupt (very carefully) the finish with a glass fibre pencil brush.

 

Results will be uploaded
 

StaySafe

I have a couple of these and am waiting for some more to come.

The surface condition from the printing process seems to be a bit variable. I did see a picture of the van with the metal doors earlier on which seemed to show up the lines quite clearly, particularly on the doors themselves.

My usual weathering method is to pick over specific points with dilute acrylic paint, mostly rust and then apply a coat of matt varnish with a few drops of brown paint mixed in. This will give everything a coat of tint, but also tends to settle in corners and around raised items such as bolt heads. I think on these models it will settle in the grooves between the lines and not necessarily give a good effect. 

Ray

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Our timeframe is '48-52 by which time it would have been neglected since '39 and at the end of its revenue earning service or possibly used as departmental stock together with the eagerly awaited Hattons 6w full brake (discussed elsewhere)

 

Just how neglected depends on finding clear, images but a careworn paint finish and essential repairs seem to be appropriate for a fifty year old van. This image of a grounded LCDR van illustrates the level of neglect that is appropriate NOT the usual rotted hulk.

 

Rails_SECR_01c.jpg.03d11f6446ab0b4995273943fe2d3b48.jpg

 

 

Thanks

That looks quite well looked after, do you know where it was taken ?

Not sure how easy it was to open the doors though, as they seem to have dropped below the edge of the platform, the left one in particular.

Ray

N.B. I f you want a LC & DR van body, try the Wizzard Models Hull and Barnsley one. Basically identical.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

and brake block dirt should not be overdone on a wagon with hand brake only - the brake is not applied with the same force as a vacuum or air brake

 

Apart from shunting, when the speed was low, the brakes would not be applied while the van was moving. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

An SR version arrived by post yesterday (after a week long trip) on the same day as I received another type of south eastern van as seen in the second photo below.

 

Hmm, I don't really have any modern small SR livery locos so a BR B4 was used:

1424_4.jpg.d2eb03c3b76c2117a3d40ca7dbf42b39.jpg.

1424_5.jpg.c80802ce641188538a0b6c63efe8556c.jpg

 

 

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Today I had my SECR wagons out of their boxes for another run on my layout and I noticed that the wagon with the roof vents and experimental pressed steel doors now has black lines running along the roof, which appear to be hairline cracks running out from the holes where the vents were inserted.     This wagon was shown in the photo which I posted on April 3 on page 22 of this thread and there it is obvious that there were definitely no such marks on the roof at that time.   I cannot understand what has caused this as the wagon has been packed away in its box unused for the past three months in a dry room and has never been dropped or abused.   It doesn't really spoil the wagon's appearance too much as it will pass as weathering.   I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced similar with this batch.

 

IMG_6236.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have similar issues with my wagons. Worst affected is the light grey one no. 1922 (right in photo). The experimental steel door one (middle) and SR brown one from the first batch (left) have minor crazing in the paint, but nowhere near as bad.

PXL_20210830_180135409.jpg

  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...