Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi TrickyI was about to post four photos to show you the flavour of the trains I run.......................

Then up pops Andy's reply with three of the photos I was looking at. Very Spooky indeed 

Hi Andy, thanks for this:thankyou:

 

Leeds passenger service

This is made up of an LMS 4-4-0 Class 2P tender loco and two Clayton coaches. These run throughout the day, the loco usually running round its train at Kirtley Bridge, before departing back to Leeds as soon as possible. The loco No 323 (Skipton) was bought second-hand having been built from a brass kit. It is one of only two tender locos on the Kirtley Bridge branch. The coaches were built from Slaters kits though the painting and lining was completed by a fellow modeller. They have been only very lightly weathered (Photo courtesy of Andy York).

Goods vans

This train is made up of a class 4F 0-6-0 Tender loco and vans. These are all ex-MR stock and are a daily arrival into Kirtley Bridge. They are destined for the goods shed, returning later in the timetable. The loco No 4197 (Skipton) began as a Bachmann Brassworks RTR product, painted and weathered in LMS livery. It has since been given a replacement chassis (Uncommon Kits), gearbox and motor - following the failure of the original drive. It runs with five kit-built vans (Slaters and Parkside) usually consisting of two vents, a meat and a goods van - plus a brake. The photo (again courtesy of Andy York) shows the train passing Kirtley Crossing.

Hebden Beck Quarry train

This consists of a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 ST loco and five quarry wagons. These are collected from Hebden Beck Quarry and brought over a trestle bridge (see photo) in batches of two or three. They arrive into Kirtley Bridge station loop. From here they are taken down the branchline as part of a daily mineral train. On their return, as empties, they are propelled back into the quarry. The model consists of contractor’s loco No6 from Ixion Models - an economically priced RTR - and up to five quarry wagons. All have removable loads of limestone and were built from Slaters and Parkside kits. Heavily weathered, they are a feature of this end of the layout and can be reloaded by hand behind the scenes ready for the following day. Other traffic through the quarry includes a workmens’ coach, a gunpowder wagon and barrier wagons, plus occasional supplies of fuel and equipment.

Local pick-up goods

This train is pulled by an ex-midland 3F 0-6-0 loco as it makes its way up and down the branch each day with an assortment of wagons and vans - some loaded and others empty. The fixed ingredient is however the daily milk traffic collected from and returned to the dairy siding. This, my first 7mm purchase, is a kit-built 3F numbered 7417 (soon to be 7419 Manningham), which performs very well after some early repair work. The present milk component is a weathered Dapol RTR tanker and a Milk van built from a Connoisseur brass kit. The NE brake with full interior was scratch- built by a colleague.

 

 

 

 

IMG_2496.JPG

  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob,

 

Great to see the layout on here. I have admired the odd glimpse and the recent write-up in the GOG magazine. I particularly love the quarry branch andthe photos of the Hudswell Clarke bringing in wagons over the trestle bridge. The weathering of the stock is superb and the overall atmosphere the scene creates is wonderful. 

 

Hope to see more in due course. Thanks for sharing :good_mini:

 

David 

 

 

 

Edited by south_tyne
Stupidity...
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your nice comments guys.

Here's the latest situation at Hebden Beck Quarry.

I've recently added a third siding to house the workmen's coach which brings shift workers in from Kirtley Bridge.

Other traffic includes a daily limestone train leaving from the transhipment shed which is also pulled by the Hudswell Clarke. Note the weathered version and the ex-works condition in the last photo.

A stores train, usually using a Fowler diesel, arrives occasionally and also moves gunpowder up to the reservoir site at Dalehead. Some older rails, now disused, are also modelled and a 'dummy' loop inside the shed completes the trackwork.

This end of the layout is pretty much complete so I've added an early stage and plans to show it has worked out.

Apart from (hopefully) entertaining the public the quarry also hides the layout's traverser/storage sidings.

 

 

DSC_0256.JPG

DSC_0292.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0287.JPG

DSC_0257.JPG

quarryPLANS.jpg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently building and fixing up semaphore signals

So here's the first of the single dolls. They are being driven by a newly installed Megapoints controller.

Note the 'bounce' and 'draw' at each end of the arm movement.

Only my old Iphone I'm afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O0JfKLSqKo

 

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2019 at 12:02, Bob Hordern said:

Thanks for your nice comments guys.

Here's the latest situation at Hebden Beck Quarry.

I've recently added a third siding to house the workmen's coach which brings shift workers in from Kirtley Bridge.

Other traffic includes a daily limestone train leaving from the transhipment shed which is also pulled by the Hudswell Clarke. Note the weathered version and the ex-works condition in the last photo.

A stores train, usually using a Fowler diesel, arrives occasionally and also moves gunpowder up to the reservoir site at Dalehead. Some older rails, now disused, are also modelled and a 'dummy' loop inside the shed completes the trackwork.

This end of the layout is pretty much complete so I've added an early stage and plans to show it has worked out.

Apart from (hopefully) entertaining the public the quarry also hides the layout's traverser/storage sidings.

 

 

DSC_0256.JPG

DSC_0292.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0287.JPG

DSC_0257.JPG

quarryPLANS.jpg

 

Bob, 

 

Thanks for sharing that update. I absolutely love the quarry section of the layout, it has so much character and atmosphere.... wonderful modelling!

 

I hope you don't mind me asking, but noting what you explain in the post above about operation, are the limestone wagons loaded/unloaded when they are propelled into the shed? 

 

Hope to see more photos. Inspiring stuff!

 

Cheers,

David

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi David

You will be pleased to know that there is an article on the quarry section in the current GOG Gazette with a full page photograph (by Andy York) of the quarry train crossing the trestle bridge. Would have made a great magazine cover but heyho.

Yes, with regard to the wagon loads, full wagons leave the shed, go up to Kirtley bridge and then end up in the hidden sidings. Here their loads are removed to allow empty stock to return to the quarry later in the timetable. The public view of the shed appears to show that the track inside is parallel to the shed walls but this is a dummy track and the actual  siding runs at an angle taking wagons closer to the hidden sidings behind, thus allowing access from the rear. This makes  re-loading relatively simple.

The accompanying photos show how this can be done.

Best wishes, Bob

IMG_3720.JPG

the end.JPG

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2019 at 18:02, Bob Hordern said:

Hi David

You will be pleased to know that there is an article on the quarry section in the current GOG Gazette with a full page photograph (by Andy York) of the quarry train crossing the trestle bridge. Would have made a great magazine cover but heyho.

Yes, with regard to the wagon loads, full wagons leave the shed, go up to Kirtley bridge and then end up in the hidden sidings. Here their loads are removed to allow empty stock to return to the quarry later in the timetable. The public view of the shed appears to show that the track inside is parallel to the shed walls but this is a dummy track and the actual  siding runs at an angle taking wagons closer to the hidden sidings behind, thus allowing access from the rear. This makes  re-loading relatively simple.

The accompanying photos show how this can be done.

Best wishes, Bob

IMG_3720.JPG

the end.JPG

 

Hi Bob,

 

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, it's greatly appreciated and very useful. It is interesting to see the photos and useful to read the description. It will obviously add a lot of interest to the operation. 

 

I love the layout but especially the quarry area and scene. It's superb!

 

Look forward to reading the article in the GOG Gazette. My copy arrived in the post this morning but I haven't had the chance to open it yet. I'll save it as a treat for the weekend!

 

Thanks again,

David

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Current distraction is excavating a troublesome point that is OK at home but always seems to play-up at exhibitions.

 

excavations.JPG

 

And here's the result with the repaired inset track refabricated.

The provender shed and milk depot scaffold are also back in place - there are facilities for a milk van (churns) and up to two tankers.

 

 

DSC_0412.JPG

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/05/2019 at 01:43, south_tyne said:

 

Look forward to reading the article in the GOG Gazette. My copy arrived in the post this morning but I haven't had the chance to open it yet. I'll save it as a treat for the weekend!

 

Thanks again,

David

 

 

Hi David

Other Gazette articles have been submitted for August (Hebden Mill) and November (Milk depot).

Bob

 

PS. EDIT  These articles may be swapped around.

Edited by Bob Hordern
update
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Here is an update on new additions at Kirtley Bridge.

 

I have found little time for modelling of late but my semaphore signals are almost done. I have been using Scale  Signal Supply kits (Bolton) and controlling them with a Megapoints system that drives up to 12 servos. These signals have a 'bounce' and pull feature that looks very realistic. All are LMS (ex-MR) types apart from the small quarry signal which is scrap-built as  was the prototype I found. I am currently working on the last one which is a 3-arm bracket that controls access to the three incoming lines (viz. goods loop, through platform and bay).  Will post photo later.

 

signal 11.JPG

signal 2.JPG

signals 5 & 6.JPG

signal 11c.JPG

signals 3 & 4.JPG

signal 1.JPG

signal 12.JPG

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

My most recent photo. All work on schedule - need to build another 3-way point PCB board (exhibition spare) and carry out a few bits of painting here and there.

Last job is re-setting some of the Dingham couplings, then we're ready for Wigan and Keighley next month.

Bob

 

IMG_4359 (2).JPG

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.