Hi Simon. The article has come out well, hasn't it? Thanks for your kind compliments. I do like Princetown. One day I might model it. I've got some of the stock and the Rapido 44xx may provide a catalyst. Funnily enough the quarry on my new layout "Lydbrook Dean" is inspired by Poin's quarry, so you might take a look at my layout thread for that if you haven't already seen it.

Alex

• Like 2

Alex - the Yelverton article is really excellent. After so many years modelling the station I feel I know it like the back of my hand and you have captured all the detail and atmosphere of the junction. I will look at the Lydbrook thread - my great great grandfather was the owner of Point Quarry and I have some photos of the cutting sheds and the workings if you have not got them already and if they will be useful then let me know.

Best regards and Merry Christmas! Simon

• Like 2

Hi Simon , most interesting to hear of your connection with Points Quarry. One of the things I like about RW web is how it can trigger memories and the mass of information it throws up. Yes please I'd love to see the photographs.

I don't know which part of the country you are in, but Lydbrook Dean will be at the Edington show in Somerset on 6/7 January 2024.

Best wishes for Christmas and the new year.

Alex

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

I attach three images from Point Quarry. The first is pre 1920 when my family owned the site, the quarry was subsequently sold to United Stone Firms. I do not own the copyright on these pictures so they should not be used for publication. I am currently in Germany but normally I live in Cambridge. Sadly I wont be able to get to Somerset for your show but will look out for you at other exhibitions and if you venture into LNER country then let me know as it would be good to meet up. I am chair of the Histon and Impington Model Rail Group and we exhibit 'Rails Through Histon' twice a year details at 

Website:  https://loco-updates.uk/littlehiston/index.htm and Facebook Page: "Little Histon"

Best regards, Simon

Point Quarry Forest of Dean ER Payne.jpg

Point Quarry Forest of Dean.jpg

Point Works Forest of Dean.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A fascinating branch and with some unique buildings. I feel I must model it sometime, as I lived there in my formative years and walked the trackbed frequently.

Hope the DCC conversion goes without difficulty.

Best,

Bill

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lambsquay said:

Hi Alex,

I attach three images from Point Quarry. The first is pre 1920 when my family owned the site, the quarry was subsequently sold to United Stone Firms. I do not own the copyright on these pictures so they should not be used for publication. I am currently in Germany but normally I live in Cambridge. Sadly I wont be able to get to Somerset for your show but will look out for you at other exhibitions and if you venture into LNER country then let me know as it would be good to meet up. I am chair of the Histon and Impington Model Rail Group and we exhibit 'Rails Through Histon' twice a year details at 

Website:  https://loco-updates.uk/littlehiston/index.htm and Facebook Page: "Little Histon"

Best regards, Simon

Point Quarry Forest of Dean ER Payne.jpg

Point Quarry Forest of Dean.jpg

Point Works Forest of Dean.jpg

Simon

United Stone Firms were also on Portland where I now live though originally from Essex.I know the Histon area well from travels around Cambridge and St Ives many years ago when my sister lived in St Neots.

You will see in my signature a link to a Heritage lottery social history project I ran collecting memories of the railway from Weymouth to Easton on Portland, inevitably this linked to the stone trade.

The stone trade has a very interesting history, Portland stone has links to many famous buildings including St Paul's and the cenotaph others around the world. There are very few quarries left.

Martyn

• Like 4

Hi Martyn,

The Heritage Lottery Project sounds really excellent and I think gathering social history through individual memories is so important because, unlike photos and film, there is a risk that this will be lost forever when people die.

Best regards, Simon

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2023 at 22:50, wiggoforgold said:

There is also a film called "A brief journey" about a sailor's run ashore from Plymouth in 1954 which is on You Tube and has some nice scenes on the branch.

• Like 1