• RMweb Gold

I also build military models which is why I know about non-railway modelling products. Mostly 1/48th aircraft and 1/35th vehicles, although I also have some 1/16 scale RC tanks and I'm planning to build some 1/9th military motorcycles. I usually build military stuff when on caravan holidays on damp days and in the evenings rather than watching the goggle box. It's a nice break from railway modelling.

Regards Lez.

• Like 5

I haven't done much for a long time, but I also enjoyed military modelling, mostly 1/35 vehicles from WWII, it's certainly where I learned about dry brushing, weathering and creating various bits of nature.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

This is looking truly splendid. 

I totally agree regarding military modelling techniques. 

I too used to do a fair bit in 1/35th in my teens and I've often thought about getting back into it. 

Though it's not been publicised yet, I understand that the Cardiff Model Railway show in August will have a good representation from local military modellers as well with demos etc. 

Rob. 

• Like 5

Wonderful modelling.  I'm another one who migrated from military modelling - 1/35th Tamiya kits and 1/16th RC tanks, plus ships and occasional aircraft.  I think some of the military modelling weathering results you see in magazines and model shows are outstanding, and easily transferrable to railway modelling.   My favourite model railway layouts are those with consistent weathering on everything.  Yelverton and Little Muddle are both outstanding and inspirational in this aspect.   A long way from daubing dirty turps on a model and calling it weathering.  (apologies to anyone who still does this).     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gopher said:

P.S.  I always find these kits very appealing.  Problem is I can't afford one, don't have room to build it/store it, and they tend to weigh more than I do.  They might also churn up the garden a bit (unlike my Tamiya R/C tanks).   

https://www.armortek.co.uk

The Armortek  kits are impressive. I have a friend who has just done a Tamiya RC Abrams with sound. Sounds like a demented hoover. Good to see so many people commenting with enthusiasm on what can be learned from Military modelling.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold

1 hour ago, wiggoforgold said:

The Armortek  kits are impressive. I have a friend who has just done a Tamiya RC Abrams with sound. Sounds like a demented hoover. Good to see so many people commenting with enthusiasm on what can be learned from Military modelling.

Alex

Hi Alex - if I could afford another Tamiya RC tank - the Abrams was top of my list. Well it was until I saw an advert in a model magazine for the new Tamiya 1/16th RC Centurion.   I think I'll have to stick with railway modelling for the moment given the cost of both. 

59 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Hi Alex - if I could afford another Tamiya RC tank - the Abrams was top of my list. Well it was until I saw an advert in a model magazine for the new Tamiya 1/16th RC Centurion.   I think I'll have to stick with railway modelling for the moment given the cost of 

I rather like the Centurion, but told the local club I was resisting it and waiting for a Churchill. :)

• Like 1

With a bit of "Rule 1" modelling, could Yelverton include something that had overshot RAF Harrowbeer? Yelverton was close to the eastern end of the runway and the south-eastern dispersal pens.

e.g.

http://www.rafharrowbeer.co.uk/picts/airfield lge.jpg

and

http://www.rafharrowbeer.co.uk/photographs.htm

I fancy the latest Airfix version of the Mosquito,

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/new-mosquito-build-exclusive

or

https://uk.airfix.com/products/de-havilland-mosquito-a04023

But it would be a shame to model a version that had crashed beside the railway. Especially as the very excellent people at "The Peoples Mosquito" are building a new one!

https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My current non-railway bit of modelling is the Airfix 1/48th Defiant with added PE interior. We are going away in May and I hope to get a good way towards it being finished. If not I'll finish it off when we go away again in Sept. If I can get it done in May then the Sept. build is going to be either a 1/9th BMW R75 or a Zundapp KS750, both options with a sidecar. There's a very nice Kettenkrad  motorcycle halftrack that I have my eye on as well. It may well come down to price as the Kettenkrad is a little expensive.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 3

The station would have been about 500 feet lower than the airfield, despite their proximity. The railway line can be seen in the bottom right of the first photo, running from South to North, with the Princetown branch curving off to the east, which allows you to see the position of the station. The line goes in to a tunnel which passes beneath the road just west of the roundabout. The church is more or less over the tunnel, and the spire was hit by a plane from RAF Harrowbeer during the war.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

The station would have been about 500 feet lower than the airfield, despite their proximity.

Planes have crashed in stranger places.

Plus we have "railway + aircraft" precedents.

image.png.48d8afd37e9368fe52913407ed5db459.png

Oi! You can't park there!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/03/2022 at 22:17, wiggoforgold said:

The octagonal building on the up platform is more or less finished. The station is in it's final years. It hasn't been painted since before the war, and is starting to look a bit shabby, but there's still life in the place.

100E5D56-2700-44EB-ACD4-51B2267B9A32.jpeg.e5f866636ff888c710d8ae1dcda905ec.jpeg

I use the lamp shade and glass from the Ratio set, mounted on a piece of brass wire.

EFDE26A9-54E1-4812-9981-C3D49741363F.jpeg.8e5123f06996b565d8e036ffeb6b9273.jpegCAF4514C-F00D-405A-A2BD-DA43221828E0.jpeg.12f0785e38ade3dd887627421ce5dac9.jpeg

The paintwork at this end of the station is quite worn. I used Mig acrylics, over a coat of grey primer. The building was coated with various shades of grey , before being covered with chipping fluid. The top coat was then applied, before being largely removed, to give the impression of bare wood through peeling paint.

3CA905BD-3CF3-4688-8FAE-1F8C47230523.jpeg.6b76a9260a2707493ef94f835c3f6dd0.jpeg

Finally, a view of the lane behind the station

9DC23EA7-25AC-47D2-9311-6F3DE54A5C04.jpeg.fa5c2a23c7b3ad4a1ba6ce1224cd2725.jpeg

Alex

Could I ask where you got the fern leaves from?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Planes have crashed in stranger places.

Plus we have "railway + aircraft" precedents.

image.png.48d8afd37e9368fe52913407ed5db459.png

Oi! You can't park there!

Maybe that's what @St Enodoc has planned for the Shackleton that keeps appearing on his thread... (Yes, I know this is a York, but they're related...)

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

On the outside it's a York on the inside it's a Lancaster, or is it really a Manchester given that a Lancaster is actually a Manchester Mklll!

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Can I confuse matters further by reminding you of the AVRO Lincoln?

Avro_Lincoln_ExCC.jpg.b1b8ec260469ee0803c53aad985afdec.jpg

That looks like a very early Lincoln and are those actually Lancasters on the hard standing behind, with a Grumman Widgeon of all things in front of them? Look carefully at the early airfield scenes of "The Dambusters" and spot the Lincolns on the hardstanding in the background.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Graham T said:

Could I ask where you got the fern leaves from?

They are from a company called "Model Scene" I found them by Googling "4mm scale ferns, which led me to a suitable supplier. A number of firms do them, and I,d use a different make next time simply for variety. They are laser cut from green paper.

Alex

• Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

That looks like a very early Lincoln and are those actually Lancasters on the hard standing behind, with a Grumman Widgeon of all things in front of them? Look carefully at the early airfield scenes of "The Dambusters" and spot the Lincolns on the hardstanding in the background.

Correct, 1944 version I believe, that may make the Grumman a Gosling, but I don't know enough about them to tell the difference, it's certainly unusual to see one wheels down on dry land.

As a Yelverton regular from day one, may I reminisce (on topic!).  In the last years of the war, I would accompany my mother, knowing of my interest in all things Great Western, on the train to Yelverton.  There we would walk up the driveway (ably modelled by Alex) and through the gate to the main road.  Here there was a hillock (mound) by the wall where we would sit and have a picnic with a fine view of aircraft landing a few feet over our heads.  Mostly Spitfires with D Day stripes which dates the adventure. 

Harrowbeer is going back to nature now but I learned to drive there: runways make for good practice with plenty of room!

Great article on the area and as usual, the modelling!

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2