New Mills (90's Railfreight / Speedlink)

Andrew P

23 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Still down South after yesterdays wedding, (a couple of pics on Page 85 of SMS for anyone interested), but off to a couple more Model Shops today, Fratton Bargain (now Model) Shop who I used a lot when I lived down here, and the Portsmouth Model Centre, another Shop I used a lot, but now moved premises and under new ownership I believe.

DISSAPOINTED = to say the least, I think I have more Locos than the two shops combined, well maybe not true, but there certainly wasn't much to excite.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

DISSAPOINTED = to say the least, I think I have more Locos than the two shops combined, well maybe not true, but there certainly wasn't much to excite.

‘Exite’ It is a subjective term what ‘floats ones boat’ varies between people!

If there is something you want and buy it’s a different story!

Mark Saunders 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

‘Exite’ It is a subjective term what ‘floats ones boat’ varies between people!

If there is something you want and buy it’s a different story!

Mark Saunders 

Your right Mark, Fratton Model Shop is now mainly Boats and Car Kits etc, and The Model Shop has a lot of Diecast and a smaller display of New, and only a few used Locos on display, unfortunately I remember the good old days at Fratton when there was a whole area of second hand Railway, plus loads of continental Railways to inspire.

The Model Shop in Kingston Road, formally Collectors Corner in New Road was again always an Aladdin's Cave with John always keen to sell you something.

The best I found was AC Models in Eastleigh with floor to celling New Railway items on display and lovely glass cabinets full of quality second hand at good prices, and exactly the same can be said for Ron Lines, in Shirley, Southampton, I've known Ron for years, and his new Shop is again a credit to him with good displays, well lit and clearly priced.

Edited by Andrew P
add?
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lots of containers .... there’s still a fair bit of freight I find ... it’s just the traction isn’t interesting anymore .

And TBH it was only ever interesting because BR at the end of steam couldn’t sort a pxxx up in a brewery when it came to a standard loco design otherwise we’d have had wall to wall of a couple of designs since the 60s .... now that’s a scary thought 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, rob D2 said:

Lots of containers .... there’s still a fair bit of freight I find ... it’s just the traction isn’t interesting anymore .

And TBH it was only ever interesting because BR at the end of steam couldn’t sort a pxxx up in a brewery when it came to a standard loco design otherwise we’d have had wall to wall of a couple of designs since the 60s .... now that’s a scary thought 

Yeah your right Rob, the containers in the background are in a Lorry Park, and not Rail Served unfortunately. At least now it's slightly better than the 2000's when EWS ruled the roost, although I did like the EWS Livery, and almost everything was EWS Gold and Maroon, now at least there is a whole plethora of Company's and colours.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Weeds over Didcot Yard, and this is still in daily use.

DSCF2548.JPG.2e390e9fc5bd42890d5b84d8af3c5870.JPG

Are they the Didcot power station cooling towers that were demolished yesterday morning in the background? If so that view will look somewhat different now.

• Like 1

Just now, Keith J said:

Are they the Didcot power station cooling towers that were demolished yesterday morning in the background? If so that view will look somewhat different now.

Spot on, I was going back to re take that pic for a old and new shot, but just wanted to get back home yesterday.

SO, I've air brushed them out

As it was,

DSCF2548.JPG.1428364bd8c72ae01221be915132f9a5.JPG

And NOW. Hahaha.

1252690967_DSCF2548-Copy.JPG.4e4735b4b06bccdc4ac66add5df5e598.JPG

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Spot on, I was going back to re take that pic for a old and new shot, but just wanted to get back home yesterday.

As it was,

And NOW. Hahaha.

HaHa. Nice one!

• Funny 1

10 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

As it was,

And NOW. Hahaha.

But it's missing the smoke and sparks from the combusting transformers

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Is that your pond?

Yes Andy - it's right next to the Blackpool Line near Lea and Salwick - nailed on like your layout at eye (rod) level :biggrin_mini2:  the Traction now consists of  uninspiring DMU Pacers Voyagers and Pendolinos at all be it reduced speeds. The 70's and  80's had Enterprise workings to Salwick and chemicals to the ICI at Thornton Cleveleys with usual Northwest rostered 25 47 40's - all obviously long gone.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well done that man!

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I was trying to find your first post re the Lamps.

I have found 6 Red ones in my box, but about 20 white ones that will need a dob of paint quite soon, although with the Black Tack, I can roster them around anyway.

Looks much better so thanks for the original nudge.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 2

40 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Yes Andy - it's right next to the Blackpool Line near Lea and Salwick - nailed on like your layout at eye (rod) level :biggrin_mini2:  the Traction now consists of  uninspiring DMU Pacers Voyagers and Pendolinos at all be it reduced speeds. The 70's and  80's had Enterprise workings to Salwick and chemicals to the ICI at Thornton Cleveleys with usual Northwest rostered 25 47 40's - all obviously long gone.

Ian

I think that story can be repeated all around the Country Ian, as I found out at Didcot and Eastleigh over the weekend, and also around here and down in Burton on Trent.

When I moved here in Oct 2005, I worked at the Peugeot Garage that backed onto the Birmingham / Tamworth / Derby Line at Burton, in addition to 170, 158, 150, 153's, Voyagers and HST'S on Passenger workings, it was a constant flow of double headed 37's plus 31's, 47's, 60's, 66's etc on a mix of Engineers and Yellow stuff out of Derby and Bescot, plus Oil, Stone, Coal, Covered Steel, Steel Flats and Van Traffic all day, I could get about 30 to 40 numbers a day, although some would be duplicates, but interesting none the less.

Bring back the good old days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Studying the workings at Eastleigh, Platform 2 and 3 are both By Directional Roads as I have on here, and it was particularly interesting to see some of the cross line workings.

I cant run from Platform 3 across to the Branch or back, as per the equivalent working to Botley at Eastleigh, but other than that it's worked in a very similar way.

Here we see a 150 Unit that has worked down the Branch, and whilst waiting for it's scheduled return departure time, the Class 56 on a Speedlink Service is crossing it's path to proceed down the Main.

UDSCF2616.JPG.9eafc027f588936e86663fe744f5f449.JPG

UDSCF2617.JPG.cb608796d7978238f949fc35c3b761ca.JPG

UDSCF2618.JPG.e1f1c703abead6292c52204d2db0040c.JPG

• Like 14