Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium

They aren't etched, I didn't have time in this case. The frames (and compensating beams which weren't very visible in the photos) are cut out in the old fashioned way with paper patterns and piercing saw. There are compensating beams inside the frames linking the two outer axles (inner ones are fixed), these are jig drilled from the frames. This isn't full compensation but it;s a lot better than all rigid.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/03/2020 at 15:23, Michael Edge said:

I do have some etches for HE 1685 - and yes I did look up the name - but don't hold your breath.

This caught my attention - good stuff! Fingers cross for HE 1446 /1929  :)

J

Edited by Down_Under

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

They aren't etched, I didn't have time in this case. The frames (and compensating beams which weren't very visible in the photos) are cut out in the old fashioned way with paper patterns and piercing saw. There are compensating beams inside the frames linking the two outer axles (inner ones are fixed), these are jig drilled from the frames. This isn't full compensation but it;s a lot better than all rigid.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Don Townsley didn't show it in his drawing

The style of the printing gives away the identity of the draughtsman! Are there kinks in the long horizontal lines?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes, it's an old one from Railway Modeller November 1965 - a Leeds MRS special issue, most of it written by club members (bit before our time though!).

Of course!

ROTM - Leeds Corn Exchange by Don Townsley

Airfix Drewery conversion by Mike Cole

Track cleaning brake tender by Mike Cole

Condor conflats by Mike Cole

Talyllyn Railway no 4 by Jim Noble

Gordon Dobson's loco stud

NER water crane by Geoff Tate

Lydney mk 2 by Alan Smith

Bournville no 9 by Don Townsley

Automatic signalling by Geoff Tate

Princess to Royal Scot by Mike Danby (Junior Modeller!)

plus a couple of articles by others.

Not a bad line up.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

IMG_0741.JPG.99a696fe2b225b2edc8a2052bab02c66.JPG

Cylinder drains are rather prominent on this loco so I've put rather more detail than usual in, photo also shows the typical Hunslet brake rigging.

IMG_0742small.jpg.aa773297d9759035bf269f916bb25af7.jpg

Finally finished this afternoon, it's taken at least 25 years. Modern techniques caught up for the motion work which was etched in .022" n/s.

IMG_0743.JPG.e20b86de862f4f76dc2e211e907298c2.JPG

View from the back, a slight snag emerged right at the end of this - one of the last jobs was fitting the return cranks to the driving crankpins. It quickly became apparent that the Slater's wheels (I've no idea which they are after all this time) didn't have the correct crankthrow and the return cranks are too long. If I set them in the right position they give far too much movement to the expansion link so I've set them for now in the minimum position (still too much but not so bad), I think I'll have to make new ones.

Clearance behind the crosshead was just about zero and at this crankthrow the little end coincides with the leading crankpin, the fastener was already absolutely minimal so I finished up not putting the back on the crosshead - seems to work quite reliably though. Another complication with this is the weighshaft above the footplate so the lifting links are not attached to the radius rods.

I don't really know what to do with this loco now, I've no need of industrial 7mm locos and don't even know how to paint it. I don't really want to paint it as Cadbury No9 (or more likely get someone else to do it) and Hunslet didn't actually build any others exactly like this one.

That's three long standing jobs completed in the last couple of weeks or so, now what can I dig out of the pile next?

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

IMG_0741.JPG.99a696fe2b225b2edc8a2052bab02c66.JPG

Cylinder drains are rather prominent on this loco so I've put rather more detail than usual in, photo also shows the typical Hunslet brake rigging.

IMG_0742small.jpg.aa773297d9759035bf269f916bb25af7.jpg

Finally finished this afternoon, it's taken at least 25 years. Modern techniques caught up for the motion work which was etched in .022" n/s.

IMG_0743.JPG.e20b86de862f4f76dc2e211e907298c2.JPG

View from the back, a slight snag emerged right at the end of this - one of the last jobs was fitting the return cranks to the driving crankpins. It quickly became apparent that the Slater's wheels (I've no idea which they are after all this time) didn't have the correct crankthrow and the return cranks are too long. If I set them in the right position they give far too much movement to the expansion link so I've set them for now in the minimum position (still too much but not so bad), I think I'll have to make new ones.

Clearance behind the crosshead was just about zero and at this crankthrow the little end coincides with the leading crankpin, the fastener was already absolutely minimal so I finished up not putting the back on the crosshead - seems to work quite reliably though. Another complication with this is the weighshaft above the footplate so the lifting links are not attached to the radius rods.

I don't really know what to do with this loco now, I've no need of industrial 7mm locos and don't even know how to paint it. I don't really want to paint it as Cadbury No9 (or more likely get someone else to do it) and Hunslet didn't actually build any others exactly like this one.

That's three long standing jobs completed in the last couple of weeks or so, now what can I dig out of the pile next?

Presumably the livery for Cadbury No 9 should be chocolate brown? Don't worry, it is only an attempt at late night humour!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Hang on to it for another three years and give it to DHT for a 90th birthday present.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Presumably the livery for Cadbury No 9 should be chocolate brown? Don't worry, it is only an attempt at late night humour!

No joke Tony - it was! More milk than plain though from photos I've seen.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/7e/a2/28/7ea2287c01463e5b03811f34c89bd9cc--steam-online-spotting.jpg

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/7e/a2/28/7ea2287c01463e5b03811f34c89bd9cc--steam-online-spotting.jpg

I had no idea! It wasn't  one I am familiar with. That just has to be done Mike, it will look great on the exhibition stand even if you have no plans to run it anywhere.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2020 at 02:11, St Enodoc said:

That is one loco I want a model of, complete with RMB 1808 (no running number) and an unnumbered TSO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2020 at 08:42, t-b-g said:

I had no idea! It wasn't  one I am familiar with. That just has to be done Mike, it will look great on the exhibition stand even if you have no plans to run it anywhere.

My favourite industrial. First rode behind at Dowty RPS.

Edited by MJI
  • Like 1

Isn't that one of the Avonsides which were very similar to the GWR 1101 Class?

Some information on the Cadbury locomotives here. Seems some were chocolate whilst others maroon (colour of the Bournville wrapper I assume).

https://www.miac.org.uk/cadbury.html

https://www.miac.org.uk/bournville2.html

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Isn't that one of the Avonsides which were very similar to the GWR 1101 Class?

Yes it is, the Cadbury ones predate the 1101 Class by about 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...