Cawdor Quarry

Alister_G

This is looking good; really atmospheric. There are just a few little details that I would alter though. The bracing rod on your tar wagon ought to go behind the ladder and I'd swap the chunky ladder for an etched brass one. Spillage of tar around the filler and down the sides would add to the weathering, too. I use semi-gloss black paint for this, with careful use of MEK to get the spilt 'tar' to bubble up and give some texture.

Perhaps some stone dust on the engine and less filth on the tank sides, below the handrail? They do look quite clean in the prototype photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've not got anything too insightful to add, Al, except to say that I'm very much enjoying watching this (and have been meaning to say as much!)

I think you'll end up with some very convincing sight lines across the yard with the buildings looming in the background -- it's already starting to be evident now.

Adam

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I am enjoying your modelling, Alister_G, so much that I am tempted to move my own efforts away from docksides, water, fish and ships to mineral workings and limescale dust! So much inspirational material here to emulate. And having worked (in a non academic roley, I hasten to add) for several years in the University of Manchester Department of Linguistics (aka Mental Depositionary of Speakerage & Lingual Acquisitionary!) I feel compelled to gather together the wonderful manglerisation of verberage witnessed here and submit documentationary here for future generationals to wonder upon in wide-jawed slack-gazed admiration at the linguistic creativity of the contributors (as well as the modelling virtuosity of the author himself).

Meanwhile, I hope all is well with you, sir, as there has been no updates here since December 2019... :huh:

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Spelling mistakenries...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Supercalifragilisticexpialidociage Al Mate.

Any Flockaging happen on C.Q. per chance.

Regards the Squatige.

Edited by Sasquatch
Spelt supercalifragilisticexpialidociage wrong!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Al. on the quarry face I looked back but no mention, did you just apply filler straight on the celotex/ polystyrene whatever it was you used? No modroc or anything like that I see many others doing first?

Cheers in advance of your reply. 

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Gents, I haven't been keeping up to date with what's been happening, so sorry for ignoring you.

Steve S, thank you for your kind thoughts, both on my modelling and the unmitigated drivel that appears at times when I'm typing :) I feel some form of prize should be in order, for "Mental Depositionary of Speakerage & Lingual Acquisitionary", I applaud you sir!

Shaun, no flockage or indeed modelage of any nature has occured on Cawdor in lo these many months. I've been deeply buried in work related stuff, and I'm just now climbing out of the pit and looking for my mojo, which seems to have fallen off somewhere.

Ade, I spread a thin layer of PVA over the face of the celotex first, and let it dry to tackyness before applying the filler, just to ensure a good bond.

Cheers All

Al

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 18/12/2019 at 16:30, Ruston said:

This is looking good; really atmospheric. There are just a few little details that I would alter though. The bracing rod on your tar wagon ought to go behind the ladder and I'd swap the chunky ladder for an etched brass one. Spillage of tar around the filler and down the sides would add to the weathering, too. I use semi-gloss black paint for this, with careful use of MEK to get the spilt 'tar' to bubble up and give some texture.

I did actually follow Dave's advice and redid the tar wagon as he suggested, back in December, but then never got round to posting any pics. I cut off the nasty plastic ladders and replaced them with some spare MSE signal ladder, and tried to capture the spillage as Dave suggested.

Here's the results:

wCawdor-Quarry366.jpg.483e83b79efbe2422d97a1c17dddd12c.jpg

wCawdor-Quarry367.jpg.f0b51b521920dd461312440aa18fa848.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2