Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

On 14/03/2021 at 07:38, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Hi all, 

Here's some edits again, the proposed LNER I1, and the Super Deltic.

New Project-15.jpg

New Project-16.jpg

With class 50 cabs? Now there's something I like the look of... Did anyone else do a 50 besides Hornby? I'd hate to cut up something so expensive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure you’d get the Deltic engines in under the class 50 style roof; perhaps something more highly domed like a 47/56 sort of roof?  Class 52 was banned from some locations because of the long gap between the bogies and the danger of ‘grounding’ the bits underneath, and this beast would have been similarly restricted. 

Lima did a 50 I believe. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not sure you’d get the Deltic engines in under the class 50 style roof; perhaps something more highly domed like a 47/56 sort of roof?

The Deltic engine isn't particularly tall and the body shape proposed by EE for the Super Deltic was indeed very similar to a 50 and only about 3' longer than a Class 55. One feature that @ScottishRailFanatic has missed is that two cooler groups  would have been used, one for each engine, at shoulder height as on a 55.  A model would of course need plenty of cutting and shuting: perhaps using Lima 50 and 55 bodies on a Bachmann 55 chassis?

These locomotives would have been 'interesting', with installed power of 4400-4600hp depending on the precise configuration adopted, at under 120 tons.

Deltic layout.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

With class 50 cabs? Now there's something I like the look of... Did anyone else do a 50 besides Hornby? I'd hate to cut up something so expensive.

I have a Lima 50 from about 1993. It's about as good as that description suggests. For some reason Lima got their refurbished and unrefurbished paint jobs backwards, so mine is unrefurbished but in Large Logo blue, whilst a friend had an all over rail blue refurb - at least some of those did actually exist!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I have a Lima 50 from about 1993. It's about as good as that description suggests. For some reason Lima got their refurbished and unrefurbished paint jobs backwards, so mine is unrefurbished but in Large Logo blue, whilst a friend had an all over rail blue refurb - at least some of those did actually exist!

There's a recent discussion of the relative merits of Hornby and Lima on this very forum:

• Like 1

I always thought those Wheatley 0-4-0s were kind of neat.   Planning on 'pugbashing' one at some point.  

How about the opposite?  What if the Clarkston branch desired a 0-4-0 tender loco replacement, and 'undressed' a Hill Y4 or the like?

• Like 1

I decided to have aother look at my Bulleid Q1 variations again, and this time wondered if I could design a better alternative to the Leader loco. Basically using a stretched Q1 loco body on a Q1 chassis, and a shortened tender on a second Q1 chassis with one set of wheels under the cab. I think a flexible link beteen the 2 chassis would hold it together.

Also a second version, this time with air smoothed body, which would not frighten sensitive passengers.

In some ways it is half a Garratt, with the flexibility of a Garratt, and the adhesion of a traditional fixed chassis loco.

Bulleid-Q1-0660Tx-1a.jpg

Bulleid-Q2-AS-0660Tx-1a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I decided to have aother look at my Bulleid Q1 variations again, and this time wondered if I could design a better alternative to the Leader loco. Basically using a stretched Q1 loco body on a Q1 chassis, and a shortened tender on a second Q1 chassis with one set of wheels under the cab. I think a flexible link beteen the 2 chassis would hold it together.

Also a second version, this time with air smoothed body, which would not frighten sensitive passengers.

In some ways it is half a Garratt, with the flexibility of a Garratt, and the adhesion of a traditional fixed chassis loco.

Bulleid-Q1-0660Tx-1a.jpg

Those look excellent, and by Bulleid's standards, they'd pass perfectly as SR fleet members.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Hi all,

here's a conversation-starter for you. A revised version of the Super Deltic, this time with 37/40-style cabs. What do you all think? Any discrepancies to be rectified (other than the glaring difference of new cabs)?

New Project-17.jpg

I guess to an extent, a 50 is actually a 37 with a class 40 engine (updated/uprated) in it. The body profile of 37's and 50's is very similar, it's the cabs that are different.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

I guess to an extent, a 50 is actually a 37 with a class 40 engine (updated/uprated) in it. The body profile of 37's and 50's is very similar, it's the cabs that are different.

The 50's were developed from DP2, which used a Deltic body.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Bulleid-Q1-0660Tx-1a.jpg

Interesting how the air smoothing automatically makes me think WC/BoB, and the wheel arrangement seems irrelevant.

The 'powered tender' idea has been mentioned before, with a question about whether tractive effort would reduce as coal & water used up (= weight goes down)?

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Interesting how the air smoothing automatically makes me think WC/BoB, and the wheel arrangement seems irrelevant.

The 'powered tender' idea has been mentioned before, with a question about whether tractive effort would reduce as coal & water used up (= weight goes down)?

Hi Rich,

The tractive effort would remain the same however the adhesion factor would alter with less mass carried by the wheels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhesion_railway#:~:text=The "factor of adhesion"%2C,rail friction coefficient of 0.25.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractive_force

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The 50's were developed from DP2, which used a Deltic body.

I understand that the mechanical parts of class 50's were derived from DP2, but the bodyshell on DP2 was derived from a Deltic body, as that's what VF were building at the time. I don't think the bodyshell has much in common with 50's. 

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

And I will bung in a twin engined 9cyl Deltic. A Baby Deltic Twin

More Deltics are always welcome, but surely a single 18-cylinder engine would require less maintenance?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Had EE, and the Vulcan Foundry not been told by BR to make the 50s flat fronted, this is what they could have ended up with.

Hi Clive - I've had a play with your image to give it a twin windscreen.  Some of the EE designs built for overseas railways used this arrangement and it looks a bit different from all the other EE classes running in Britain. 

I was particularly inspired by the Rhodesian DE2 and DE3 that appear in the Great Railway Journeys Cape Town to Victoria Falls episode from 1979 that has popped up on Youtube. Steam pretty much throughout and snippets of EE action from about 36m30s onwards.  The DE2 is a 16SVT-based design on a 1-Co Co-1 chassis at 3'6" Cape Gauge, dating from 1954, so presumably very similar to 10203.

Studio_20210319_090426.png.2c0a7b32924e52ba68172b7b32aed08c.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, RLBH said:

More Deltics are always welcome, but surely a single 18-cylinder engine would require less maintenance?

Wot like these

D5912.jpg.78eb180b3e4f960e2e6d811859d878ee.jpg

A rebuilt Baby Deltic

1951212095_D8709andD9402.jpg.25c8d6a767550a530840367f47d7dcc3.jpg

Two variations on the type 3 theme.

D6001.jpg.ff755180e840b86df15fb8f50e232124.jpg

Mustn't forget the twin 9 cylinder hydraulic version.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

i can't remember if this is already in the thread,

he have 90 with 2 sloped ends and 91 with sloped and flat ends so what about 2 flat ends?

R3890_Class-91-Intercity_RENDER_1.jpg.6e59c1d78f9e496abbfd784b32cdb4ad.jpg

Reminds me of a co-bo.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2014 at 16:07, TheSoutherner said:

This probably needs tweaking! :jester:

A mock up of the Collett Goods 2251, with modifications! :jester:

post-20657-0-86206300-1391702752_thumb.jpg

Software won't allow me to unfortunately

What if BR built a Standard Version, or maybe if Stanier built one

• Like 1